PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus made by Daewon in China?

F4DPhantomII
May 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Serial begins with DW. If so how do you like it.Mine will be arriving friday I hope.Bought on ebay from California seller.Supposed to be like new.We'll see.

Spudman
May 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have a Chinese Epi LP but I'll have to check where it was made when I get back home. I'm out of town for a couple of days.

Anyway, I was very surprised at how good this guitar was when I got it. Nice neck shape not too fat or too thin. Frets are level and no sharp ends. The finish is well done. It's a dark maroon birdseye top. It also doesn't go out of tune very easily thanks to the Grover tuners. A great all around guitar. I'm sure yours is going to be nice as well. It seems the Chinese factory is doing a good job.

ZMAN
May 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I had a 2004 LP Standard in Heritage cherry that I purchased new in 05. It was a DW. The store that I purchased it from had just received a shipment of them. I sorted through about 8 or 9 to find this one. You have to remember that they changed over from Korea in 2003-2004 and these were the first ones out of the factory. I had orginally purchased a Dessert burst but I returned it because it had loose tuners and the bridge was at funny angle. I didn't notice it when I picked it up but the loose tuners bothered me. The one in HC burst was really a sweet guitar and the only reason I traded it was that I had later purchased an Elitist LP Custom and 3 Gibson Les Pauls. I was able to trade it for two of the new Fender Squier Deluxe Strats. One in Daphne Blue and one in White pearl metalic.
The LP Standard sounded nice played nice and probably should have kept it.
With the four LPs, I had it pretty well covered.
I am sure you will love this guitar. The pickups are very close to the Elitist, and even the LP Studio. The ohms reistance are exactly the same as the 490r and 498t. The Elitist pickups are exactly the same as the Gibsons except they are badged as Epis. So enjoy and I am sure you will be amazed at the quality of this guitar for the money.
BTW I really like my Epiphone Elitist Custom. It is as nice as my Gibsons for sure.

F4DPhantomII
May 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Especcially since I paid $315 for it on ebay.It arrives tomorrow only a day away.

M29
May 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Out for delivery!

Spudman
May 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Turns out mine is an EE serial number. I have no idea what that means. I don't know of an EE plant but I do know that they did a great job on the guitar. I hope yours is good as well.

Brian Krashpad
May 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Turns out mine is an EE serial number. I have no idea what that means. I don't know of an EE plant but I do know that they did a great job on the guitar. I hope yours is good as well.

Yours is Qing Dao, China. My current Epi's are both MIK: Saein (they make "Shine" guitars there as well) for my T-bird bass, and Unsung for my WildKat.

Here's the codes, as posted by someone over on TGP:

I = Saein
U = Unsung
S = Samick
P or R = PeerlessChina
DW = DeaWon
EA = Gibson/QingDao
EE = Gibson/QingDao
MC = Muse
SJ = SaeJung
Z = Zaozhuang Saehan
BW = ChinaJapan
No letter or F = FujiGen
J or T = TeradaCzech
B = Bohêmia Musico-DeliciaIndonesia
SI = SamickChris

wingsdad
May 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Here's the codes, as posted by someone over on TGP:

TGP may be a hotsy-totsy, hoity-toity gathering spot, but that list has a few errors, IMHO. That's the first I've seen Peerless listed as a Chinese factory; Peerless is still partially owned by Aria, the original name of the Korean plant that made Epi's there before shucking it off and going to Japan. Bohemia Musica-Delicia is a Czech factory, making Epis primarily for European distribution. Those 2 in particular have been consistently identified as such for the past 6 years I've had access to it in a widely acknowledged source, The Blue Book of Electric Guitars.

There's lots of lists of the factory codes compiled and posted on the web, with Guitar Dater Project-Epiphone (http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx) cited often on the Epiphone Forums.

Here's what seems to be a reliable and extensive list (I've seen a few more factory codes not listed here) posted on the Epi Forums about a year ago, with Serial Number de-coding guides:

B Bohêmia Musico-Delicia (Czech Republic)
BW Undertimend (China)
DW DaeWon (China)
EA QingDao Acoustics (Gibson-China)
EE QingDao Electrics(Gibson-China)
F/_ Fujigen (Japan)
F/FN/N Fine (Korea)
I Saein (Korea)
J/T Terada Gakki Seisakusyo (Japan)
K Korea Ins. (Korea)
L ? (Korea)-?= undetermined factory
MC Muse (China)
N-->see FN
O Choice (Korea)
P/R Peerless (Korea)
S Samick (Korea)
SI Samick (Indonesia)
SJ SaeJun (China)
SM Samil (Korea)
SN ? (Indonesia) ?= undetermined factory
U Unsung (Korea)
UC Unsung China (China)
Z Zaozhuang Saehan (China)

the three serial # code keys
FYYMMRRRR
F= Factory code (this can be 2 letters as well)
YY= year of manufacture (this can also be just 1 digit for '90s models)
MM= month of manufacture
R= ranking number (may be more or less digits, not necessarily indicative of total units produced)
Example - S02021234 is a Samick (Korea) issued in Feb. 2002.

Another code used on some current Epiphone models
FYYMRRRR
F= Factory code
YY=Year of manufacture
M= This will be a letter code corresponding to the month (A=January, B=February, etc...)
RRRR= ranking number
Example - R03D0263 is a Peerless (Korea) issued in April 2003.

Epiphone Elite/Elitist models
FYSSSS
F= Factory Code (this code will be an "F" or "T")
Y= Year of manufacture (2 = 2002, 3 = 2003, etc.)
SSSS= Sequential Serial Number
Example - T41234 is a 2004 Elitist model made by Terada (Japan).

Spudman
May 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Those codes are helpful. Thanks for posting them.:AOK:

ZMAN
May 9th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Especcially since I paid $315 for it on ebay.It arrives tomorrow only a day away.
Well?????

F4DPhantomII
May 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
and is a thing of beauty.A small chip on headstock and a small crack in finish under neck tone knob,no scratches that I could see.I took a few pictures and will have my daughter help me post them here.I love it!

ZMAN
May 9th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Just to show you how really nice they are here is a picture of my 1997 Gibson Standard. You can compare yours to. They really do a great job on the Epis.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P9200084.jpg

M29
May 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
:poke: :poke: :D

F4DPhantomII
August 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Would these DW ones had the Lock Tune O Matic bridges?