PDA

View Full Version : Headstrong Li'l King

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Since Jim Soloway is here & I know that he plays through a Headstrong Li'l King--a Princeton Reverb clone--I thought I'd encourage him to state his opinions about it.

How do I know that he has such a beast? My research into a low wattage Fender-style amp lead me me through Swart & eventually to the Gries 5.
along the way I found out about the Lil King & read Jim's enthusiastic statements about it.

If I had the money I probably would'a got the Lil King. My Gries 5 makes me very happy, but that reverb would be sweet.

Jim Soloway
May 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the entre. I will always take the opportunity to express my true love for the Lil' King. Very simply, it's the best sounding small amp I've ever played through. It's usually described as a Princeton Reverb clone, but it's really not....at least not the 1x12 version of the Lil' King. The speaker is stiff and gives the amp both a bigger sound than a PR and a LOT more clean headroom. I only play clean, so I'm not going to give you any opinion on overdriven tones, but clean tones just don't get any better than this.

Now then, after saying all of this, why do I have a 1964 Supro Big Star arriving tomorrow? My wife's right. I'm certifiably crazy. :thwap:

EDIT: I should also add that the tremolo on the Lil' King is simply amazing. It simply never gets turned off on my amp.

tot_Ou_tard
May 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Jim!

Now then, after saying all of this, why do I have a 1964 Supro Big Star arriving tomorrow? My wife's right. I'm certifiably crazy. :thwap:

We all are & have been emphatically told so by our significant others.

I'd love to try a Lil King out some day.