PDA

View Full Version : Which LP / CD "changed it all" for you?

Nelskie
November 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Just by looking at the "Your Favorite Guitarists of All Time" thread, I can see our members have a pretty wide variety of guitar influences. However, we all remember that one LP / CD that guitar-wise, totally shook our worlds. I'd be curious to see & hear comments on some of those "landmark" albums from our members, perhaps in the interest of investigating them myself. The album that did it for me was ZZ Top's 1973 classic "Tres Hombres". Billy Gibbons' incendiary combination of savage, electric blues chops with tantilizing tone blew my mind from the get-go. My affliction with hair-metal guitar sound / playing techniques ended that very day. "Tres Hombres" is the headwaters from which my playing flows. ;)

Justaguyin_nc
November 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Well if I picked just one LP for guitar that really made me take notice of liking a guitar it would have to be Page playing Stairway to Heaven. I guess 1968-1973 was excellent years for me as far as discovering music with Steppenwolf, Grand Funk Railroad, Black Sabbath, Band Of Gypsys, Creedence, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and many more releasing some of the best music ever created... But I can still remember sitting stoned and enjoying Stairway to Heaven to this day with just saying one word..woooo. I just can't remember if it was due to the song or the smoke at that time.. no no no no I dont smoke it no more!!

marnold
November 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
SRV's Couldn't Stand the Weather

It alternately amazes me, makes me want to play, and makes me want to burn my guitar.