PDA

View Full Version : EQ Pedals Graphic or Parametric

sumitomo
May 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Does any one here use one to shape their sound(as a boost going into the amph)and how does it work for you,also at about what kh do you set yours on your set up? Sumi:D

markb
May 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I've used graphic pedals for both cut and boost.
Dial in a smile curve to cut mids and clean up a crunchy amp. This worked a treat when I used a Les Paul into a Pro Jr and needed a cleaner tone at stage volumes.
A frown curve can be used to boost the mids. It works well but I find overdrives much less fussy to dial in for this job. Pedal graphics are often noisy too.

wingsdad
May 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I've used an ancient (mid-70's) MXR 10-band graphic for years as the first step from a guitar to the next step -- either an FX pedal or chain, or straight to an amp -- but most often going direct to a recording desk. Most often, that last application is with a bass, or as a preamp with an acoustic guitar using a magnetic/passive soundhole pickup.

Markb's description of the curves to set the graphic at as 'smile' or 'frown' curves is about the best way to describe how to set it; the more bands the graphic has, the finer your control as you can cut or boost more selectively. Most pedals seem to be 6- or 7-band. (i.e.: Tom Scholz's set up in shaping his 'Boston' sound was an MXR 6-band as the first step from his LP Goldtop). Along those lines, I s'pose you could call it a 'sneer' or 'smirk' curve if boosting or cutting the lowest or highest ends of the spectrum, such as the lows and low-mids (with a DI'd bass).

With acoustic/electrics, Parametrics are the best bet as you can pick a particular 'notch' in the mids to cut or boost. Most of my a/e's have that type of onboard preamp. But I have an L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic DI that I latched onto a few months ago, and it's so good I often bypass an onboard pre's EQ to use it instead. It also works great with a bass. I haven't tried it on my electrics.