PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Movie

Bloozcat
May 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
My niece Shannon just graduated from her MBA program at Michigan so she and her fiance Jeff are home for a few days. Jeff remarked that he really wanted to see the "new" Star Trek movie, and that's all it took for me, being the Trekkie I am. The movie is getting great reviews. I can't wait to see it.

And so, the "next generation" embraces the Star Trek legacy as we boldly go where no man has gone before...

Live long and prosper.

luvmyshiner
May 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Heh, heh, I wanted to stay up till midnight last night to see it, but CB wasn't up for that. I think we're planning on hitting a matinee tomorrow.

piebaldpython
May 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Just got home from seeing it.....this movie rocks from beginning to end. Great flick, lots of action. Pretty interesting.:D

Childbride
May 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Shiner and i have a bet.

if i don't like it, he has to watch Legends of the Fall with me again.

but i have to tell the truth, which i will, of course. ;)

we go tomorrow at 1. the things i do for my trekkie husband. :D

piebaldpython
May 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Shiner and i have a bet.

if i don't like it, he has to watch Legends of the Fall with me again.

but i have to tell the truth, which i will, of course. ;)

we go tomorrow at 1. the things i do for my trekkie husband. :D

Say WHAT??? The things you do for your trekkie husband??? I beg to differ my dear!! :rotflmao: You watching Star Trek is NO WHERE near as painful as it will be for Shiner to watch LOTF. Not even close! While certainly not on a par with pablum-puking drivel like A River Runs Through It or Oprah's BELOVED....I gotta say Shiner's the one with the most to lose. :D

However, according to Missus PBP, there's more than enough action and cute-guy "eye candy" to hold your attention in Star Trek. ;)

Spudman
May 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
However, according to Missus PBP, there's more than enough action and cute-guy "eye candy" to hold your attention in Star Trek. ;)

Welp, that just ruined it for me. I'm now picturing a young Spock in a fluorescent green Borat style sling shot thong. You might as well have told me the ending too.:(

Nah. I'm to Trekkie to miss this one for any reason.:munch:

piebaldpython
May 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Welp, that just ruined it for me. I'm now picturing a young Spock in a fluorescent green Borat style sling shot thong. You might as well have told me the ending too.:( Nah. I'm to Trekkie to miss this one for any reason.:munch:

Missus PBP was most certainly NOT referring to young Spock as cute-guy eye candy!! :D

Kazz
May 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM
lmao.....make Shiner watch LOTF regardless of whether you like the new Trek or not.....

luvmyshiner
May 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hey, I've already suffered through LOTF once, and that's more than enough. Of course, we were just dating at the time, and I was trying to get in her pants, so ultimately it was worth it.:D

But I'm not to worried about the bet. CB's more of a trekkie than she cares to admit. I'm sure she will enjoy it.

tunghaichuan
May 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Okay, what's wrong with "Legends of the Fall?" or "A River Runs Through It?"

tung

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I never saw "A River Runs Through It" but LOTF, at least via books on tape, was somewhat arrogant seeming to me, as a saltwater area native who's only real enjoyable fishing experiences were trolling out in a boat. Fly fisherman apparently take things way too seriously. At least the ones in the story. ;) :)

Childbride
May 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
well, we're back, and i won't spoil anything for anyone.

but shiner is spared... [for tonight ;) ]

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
That looks like something very fun to go see. Spud, I'll go see it with you if you haven't yet when I come over.

For a minute, I thought you guys were referring to the new Star Wars movie:

hVrIyEu6h_E

piebaldpython
May 10th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Tung,
"A River Runs Through It" is a beautiful movie in terms of scenery (shot in Montana)........BUT...the dialogue and characters are so DULL and BORING that it makes watching paint dry to be exciting by comparison. So PONDEROUS and SLOW.

Bloozcat
May 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well, I have to say that I was quite pleased with the "new" Star Trek movie. Going in, you have to suspend any expectations that the movie will be just like the old TV series was. There just isn't any way to re-capture all the old sets, props, and actors without it looking really campy. Besides, even today's technology looks more advanced than that of the old TV show.

What J.J. Abrams was able to do though, was to capture the essence of the old show. There's an energy in this movie that's been lacking in much of the latter Star Trek series' and in many of the movies. This one comes off like a fresh, new, movie with a very familiar feel to it. The casting IMO is great, and there are enough of the old familiar character lines thrown in to establish the new characters as those they are replacing ( "I'm a doctor, not an accountant", or "I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain"). I liked the characters almost right away. Hollywood does have some problem getting Asian/Oriental nationalities right though. John Cho, the Korean born comedian was chosen to play Japanese Sulu as George Takei had as someone of real Japanese extract. But, that's of minor consequence and I doubt that many will even take note of it.

One of the things I was most pleased about the movie is that the old swagger is back. There was none of the Picard, "psychologists in space", or "philosphers in space" crap here. No, there was no pleading with the bad guys. It was bad guys are bad guys, and we kick bad guys' hinies. We won't start the fight, but we'll darn sure finish it.

For all the true Trekkies there are several inconsistencies that you'll certainly pick up on. Some that may be explained in a second movie, some maybe not. But again, it only detracts from the movie if you're a little too obsessive/compulsive.

So, to all of my fellow Trekkies out there, stand down and rest easy. There's order in the galaxy once again... :D

Monkus
May 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Saw it again last night... oodles of awesome ...

Spoiler:
The new timeline offers more trekkie sequel goodness

Other movies to see (from the trailers):

Transformers 2
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Mr Grumpy
May 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Saw it Saturday evening. Im not the worlds biggest trekkie but this movie is awesome. Full on spectacular action done with style and superb effects. The casting is excellent too - how good was the guy who plays Bones? The cast really got the original actors down, with the possible exception of Scotty. I loved it, everyone leaving the theatre was raving about it. Superb stuff.

Ch0jin
May 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM
BEST TREK MOVIE EVER!

Yeah I just got back from seeing it in the imax cinema (really big screen) and it absolutely rocked from start to finish. I grew up on re-runs of the original series and I 100% agree with Bloozecat that they -nailed- the essence of the original, Jim Kirk especially. I'm betting Shatner approves. I wont risk any spoilers but suffice to say, whilst a trek fan will get some of the "inside" jokes (I almost spat coke out my nose during the scene with the green woman as Eddie Murphy's words in Delirious ran through my head) the story is engaging enough for anyone to enjoy it.

There just isn't any way to re-capture all the old sets, props, and actors without it looking really campy.

No, but those female crew uniforms definitely intentionally took their design cues from the 60's series. As updated as the equipment was, I appreciated (as a Trekkie and a bloke) that even far into the distant future the female crew members still wear mini skirts and stockings :)

I liked the characters almost right away. Hollywood does have some problem getting Asian/Oriental nationalities right though. John Cho, the Korean born comedian was chosen to play Japanese Sulu as George Takei had as someone of real Japanese extract. But, that's of minor consequence and I doubt that many will even take note of it.

Spot on mate. I used to work for a Japanese company and my Japanese colleagues were well aware of this phenomenon and found it pretty funny. They reckon most western films with "Japanese" characters usually use Korean actors. Tokyo Drift comes to mind right away. Look at the credits, almost all Korean. My colleagues told me they believed I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Japanese person and a Korean person anyway, and he seemed to think there were far more English speaking Korean actors than English speaking Japanese actors. Just heresay of course, but Hollywood seems to support that theory. Your right though, who cares? Hell that Romulan guy is really not Romulan you know, he's an Aussie ;)

One of the things I was most pleased about the movie is that the old swagger is back. There was none of the Picard, "psychologists in space", or "philosphers in space" crap here. No, there was no pleading with the bad guys. It was bad guys are bad guys, and we kick bad guys' hinies. We won't start the fight, but we'll darn sure finish it.

Exactly what I thought. The original JT Kirk was a butt kicking, bare knuckle fighting, lady's man. Heck I thought of him as the James Bond of space and this film has that sense about it for sure.

What are you doing reading this.... go see it!