PDA

View Full Version : Which Chorus pedal do you use?

tremoloman
August 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
I love my Danelectro Cool Cat but it boosts my volume level considerably when I turn it on in conjunction with either of my distortion boxes. I've been thinking of trying another pedal to replace it, so please post your suggestions. (I'm looking to get that swirly chorus sound found on The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary)

Thanks! :R

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
well i use a Danelectro Cool Cat pedal too although i don't use pedals that much....

ww

Spudman
August 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I used to use an Ibanez CS-9 but now that I have a Rotovibe pedal I don't. The Rotovibe does chorus and Univibe both. I can also select the rate with the pedal.

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
The Digitech Rotomachine I got does a neat chorus when set to rotate slow so I don't really need one either even though I was thinking of getting the Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus.

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
After posting a chorus pedal question here on the Fret net a few months back, I setteled for the Boss Ensemble CE-5. I am still tweaking this thing to learn all the sounds inside it.

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Tim - Thats a good pedal you did good.

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I picked up a used Boss CH-1 off eBay a while back that suits my needs perfectly. Nice chorus effect, but nothing too fancy/complicated. And it's built like a bomb shelter....

SuperSwede
August 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
T-man: We used to play she sells sanctuary and I used my boss CE-5 to get a very similar chorus sound (you can connect it both mono and stereo). You cannot go wrong with a Boss (well if you stay away from the awfull FZ-1 fuzz pedal... )

tremoloman
August 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
BOSS CE-5 eh? I'll try that one at my local music shop this weekend and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I picked up a used Boss CH-1 off eBay a while back that suits my needs perfectly. Nice chorus effect, but nothing too fancy/complicated. And it's built like a bomb shelter....

Can you fine folks tell me the primary effective difference between the CH-1 and CE-5 please?

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2007, 04:18 AM
In my opinion the CE-5 delivers a more lush chorus effect.

Tim
February 7th, 2007, 06:45 AM
SS - I may be under utilizing my CE-5. What dial settings are you currently using?

SuperSwede
February 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I dont have my CE-5 anymore.. I sold it because I thought that I didnt need it anymore. I miss it, so I might buy one again.

elavd
February 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I had the BOSS CE-5 which I disliked... So I exchanged it, and I got the CH-1.

I am much happier with it now ;)

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Sounds like more or less a personal preference, huh. :-) Thanks for the input.

sunvalleylaw
February 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Found one (Boss CE-5) used. It is enroute, starting from Gainseville, FL, then Jacksonville. Now it is in Chattanooga, TN. Fun to watch purchases like this travel through all these places I have never been. Should be here in a few days. :-)

Tim
February 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Your Boss CE-5 traveled close by to me. I am slightly south, between Gainesville and Jacksonville Florida. Mostly likely it went via I-10.

sunvalleylaw
February 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I was kind of hoping it might pass close enough to you and Warren to pick up some of your good vibes before arriving!! It will undoubtedly pass very close to Spudman too. I wonder who else it will pass on the way. If I had time, right now, I'd do a quick google map and check it out! But, off the fret and back to work for a little while.

Cheers!

Tim
February 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM
You would not the vibes from my CE-5 pedal. My vibes are dead right now. I either dial in too much chorus or not enough. I guess I am not sure just how much chorus to dial in. This is probably due to me not playing a lot of guitar. Effects are cool, but one needs to know how much. This comes with experience.

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM
There are some distinctive chorus pedal users that you may recognize. John Scofield is the king of strange chorus sounds. He uses a high speed and depth to get a bizarre warbley sound on some of his phrases. Many other metal players use a slow rate and shallower depth to add fullness to everything they do.

I find that the more subtle and less noticeable chorus is my favorite. It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.

Robert
February 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM
The Arion SCH-1 rocks (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-25.php)! It's on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Arion-SCH-1-Stereo-Chorus-Guitar-Pedal-MIJ_W0QQitemZ270089186128QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41413Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) all the time.

The cheaper Arion SCH-Z is similar, and I've heard it's good too.

Scofield uses and old purple vintage Ibanez chorus, which sounds amazing. Bet it would be quite expensive and hard to find these days.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I looked at that one when I was shopping (looked at you review of course), but they were typically twice used what the Boss that Swede favors was, so I went that way.

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Scofield uses and old purple vintage Ibanez chorus, which sounds amazing. Bet it would be quite expensive and hard to find these days.

I know someone who has one.:D

Robert
February 15th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Ok, Spud, what is the model name? Do you have one, or does Tone?

oldguy
February 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Is it the Ibanez CS-9?
I love guessing games....

Tim
February 15th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Wait a minute ... my Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus pedal has a purple label! I bought the Boss CE-5 because I thought the CS-5 had gone bad. If this is true, then it goes to show I do not know how to dial in a good chorus. I will have to follow Spud's advice and tweak it to a “subtle and less noticeable chorus … It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.”

Spuds, you are a ton knowledge!

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I know someone who has one.

I know who that is too. :) :D (Edit: deleted comment because it gave it away!)

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Is it the Ibanez CS-9?
I love guessing games....

Yep, but I won't tell who has it. I will let someone else admit that. Hint: I figured it out reading an offhand comment in and old post some time ago. I would highly doubt anyone would be able to find the post without just stumbling onto it like I did. :D

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Wait a minute ... my Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus pedal has a purple label! I bought the Boss CE-5 because I thought the CS-5 had gone bad. If this is true, then it goes to show I do not know how to dial in a good chorus. I will have to follow Spud's advice and tweak it to a “subtle and less noticeable chorus … It can fatten everything up without being obtrusive, like you don't really know that it's on, but you'll for sure know when it's off.”

Spuds, you are a ton knowledge!

Where did Spud talk about that? I missed that thread or read over it somewhere. I always want to learn about dialing things in. Especially learning "touch" with aspects of effect and tone.

EDIT: Wait, I found it. I had missed the last few posts on this thread.

marnold
February 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I've used the chorus on my AD30VT and ZOOM 505II, neither of which I'm particularly thrilled with. I liked the old DOD bass chorus I used to have back in the day. I know I can get chorusy sounds out of my EX7 through the Univibe and A/DA flanger models, but I haven't messed with those much.

Tim
March 7th, 2007, 11:44 AM

OK, after extensive research I have now removed my foot from my mouth. I am happy to report that after an exhausted search and study on the famous purple Ibanez chorus pedal; I now know two people who possess this pedal.

The first, as reported by Robert is John Scofield : http://www.jazzguitar.be/guitar_rig_john_scofield.html.

The second is a brother Fretter. The name is withheld for the same reason quoted by Sunvalleylaw.

I guess the purple label on my Ibanez C-5 does not equal the actual vintage purple pedal! The difference is more than tone.

NPauly
March 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I use a Maxon Vintage CS-550 (http://www.maxonfx.com/vintage/cs550/) ...

Very very lush and definitely not digital sounding at all ...

NPauly
March 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I almost forgot ...

I am also in the market for an Electro Harmonix Clone Theory (http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F001%5FXO%5FLine%2F08%5FClone%5FTheo ry) ...

And the guys over at the Gear Page seem to live and die by the Analog Man chorus pedals (http://www.analogman.com/clone.htm) ...

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Then there is always the Small Clone reportedly favored by Cobain. There isd a re-issue unit out, or you can try and find an old one. I would enjoy playing around with one just out of curiousity. My Boss CE-5 seems to give me what I want for now, and more.

Algonquin
June 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I think I may have a looksie for a Boss CE-5 unit. I'd like to add one to my little pedal board. I've got chorus built into my JC amp, but sometimes I'd like a bit of chorus through the C30.

After that, I think I'll start saving for the RC-2 Looper... that should keep me happy for a while :)

Cheers,
David

sunvalleylaw
June 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think I may have a looksie for a Boss CE-5 unit. I'd like to add one to my little pedal board. I've got chorus built into my JC amp, but sometimes I'd like a bit of chorus through the C30.

After that, I think I'll start saving for the RC-2 Looper... that should keep me happy for a while :)

Cheers,
David

I think you will be happy with it. I went with it after listening to Swede's advice. I like mine well enough, though I do not use it a ton and do not know enough to tell you many of the differences between it and the CH-1 or others people have mentioned. It seems versatile and is a tank like any Boss. As for the looper, you may want to find a good used RC20-xl. At a demo I attended, it seemed to have a few more options over the stompbox sized RC-2, not that I can name any right now. Still The RC-2 works well for Tone and I think Justaguy.

Hey, Pes Laul Kris! How do you like that Cobain-y EH small clone? Did you check out a Boss when you shopped?

marnold
June 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Even though this is a very old thread, since it was resurrected I'll also post here that Guitar Center has the DigiTech Chorus Factory which models several popular chorus pedals for $49. I'm seriously considering it, since (as I mentioned long ago) I'm not a big fan of the AD30VT's chorus.

Algonquin
June 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Steve... I appreciate the input!

Cheers,
David

Algonquin
June 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks Marnold... yes this is an old thread, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

The Digitech deserves some serious consideration as well.

Cheers Wings Buddy!
David

Robert
June 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I tell ya, the Arion is a great pedal. There is a cheaper model that sounds very similar - SCH-Z, see http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-ARION-STEREO-CHORUS-SCH-Z_W0QQitemZ140237241634QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41416QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q 2em118Q2el1247

60 bucks including shipping.

sunvalleylaw
June 26th, 2008, 10:28 AM
The DC-1 Cool Cat looks like a good new option. Any one try one yet?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-DC1-Cool-Cat-Chorus-Pedal?sku=151854

The CC-1 may look like even a better deal. More controls, more similar to the CE-5 from Boss? and cheaper.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Cool-Cat-Series-CC1-Chorus-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=482331

Robert
June 26th, 2008, 10:33 AM
If you like chorus, get the Cool Cat CC-1 - http://www.coolcattone.com/chorus.html

I tried one yesterday, and I was impressed. It's really well designed and you can get a variety of trippy chorus sounds with this thing. I didn't buy it because I don't like chorus much - I am waiting for my Cool Cat Vibe instead.

I do think it is a much better pedal than that old Cool Cat chorus.

jasongins
June 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Even though this is a very old thread, since it was resurrected I'll also post here that Guitar Center has the DigiTech Chorus Factory which models several popular chorus pedals for $49. I'm seriously considering it, since (as I mentioned long ago) I'm not a big fan of the AD30VT's chorus.

Are you sure about this? The GC site has it for $99. Was this an in-store deal or something?

Mr Grumpy
June 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I have a Danelectro coolcat chorus which is lovely, miles better than the AD30 built in one, and can be had for cheap. Built like a tank too. Mines one of the 18volt ones with 2 batteries. I used to have an Ibanez cs10 chorus which was also excellent and well worth a look for - apparently the same circuit design as the fabled cs9 but in a cheaper case/hardware. These can be had for cheap as well.

marnold
June 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Are you sure about this? The GC site has it for $99. Was this an in-store deal or something?
It wasn't specific to that store, but you might have to visit a brick-and-mortar place to get that price.

tot_Ou_tard
June 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Everytime I've tried chorus (admittedly only on my AD30VT) I immediately go back to a dry signal because my guitars seem to make their own gravy.

Algonquin
June 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I should really get out there and try a few. I've been using the chorus on my JC now for ages, and it's very subtle but I do like the effect. My amp is old as dirt, and you can't adjust the effect. I tend to use the vibrato more often there, as I can control the rate and depth. Not sure why they built them that way... it would have been a good feature.

pes_laul
July 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I think you will be happy with it. I went with it after listening to Swede's advice. I like mine well enough, though I do not use it a ton and do not know enough to tell you many of the differences between it and the CH-1 or others people have mentioned. It seems versatile and is a tank like any Boss. As for the looper, you may want to find a good used RC20-xl. At a demo I attended, it seemed to have a few more options over the stompbox sized RC-2, not that I can name any right now. Still The RC-2 works well for Tone and I think Justaguy.

Hey, Pes Laul Kris! How do you like that Cobain-y EH small clone? Did you check out a Boss when you shopped?
oh man I am still in love with that thing.

though I have to clean the switch later.

it creates a real lush-y swirling effect but when You turn the depth up things can get a little weird:crazyguy:

I didn't try any other pedals besides the clone.
Besides my old DOD Chorus (awsome pedal) Thats the only one I have had

Ro3b
July 1st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I used to have an old Ibanez Bi-Mode chorus that I just loved. Unfortunately it got stolen, and I haven't tracked down a replacement for it. It had two oscillators, so you could do asymmetrical sweeps and other shenanigans with it. Instead of going "neeyeereeyeereeyeer," you could have it go "neeeeeeeyeryeryeryereeeeeeeyeryeryer" or "nyeryeeryeryeeryer." The advantage over other pedals is obvious.

marnold
July 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Apparently my answer is now the DigiTech Chorus Factory, although I've only been able to use it for a little while.

scgmhawk
July 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
I've just been using the Chorus/Reverb blended effect on my AD50. I really like the sound of them together.

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I used to have an old Ibanez Bi-Mode chorus that I just loved. Unfortunately it got stolen, and I haven't tracked down a replacement for it. It had two oscillators, so you could do asymmetrical sweeps and other shenanigans with it. Instead of going "neeyeereeyeereeyeer," you could have it go "neeeeeeeyeryeryeryereeeeeeeyeryeryer" or "nyeryeeryeryeeryer." The advantage over other pedals is obvious.

LOL! I love the description.

theseeker
July 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I also have the CE-5 as well as the BBE Mind Bender. The MB is pretty neat I must say.