PDA

View Full Version : Gibson for 699

ZMAN
May 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I hate to fuel the Gas but man this is a deal and a half. Read the reviews and I really don't know where you could get a Gibson for that price.
I tried my friends worn brown and it is amazingly close to my original 1968 SG special.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222
The only issue may be that it has the same pickups in the neck and bridge, but hell they are Gibby pickups and can be swapped very easily.

just strum
May 9th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I don't follow the prices on these, but I questioned someone on this. They are big SG fans and they said this sale is the removal of one of the recent price increases.

If true, Gibson and hopefully Fender will be realizing that people aren't accepting the increases. Unfortunately, if the price is back to the old price, I wouldn't consider it a sale. Raising a price and then marking it down doesn't mean a sale in my book.

Gil Janus
May 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It's on the front page of Gibson.com ; I also got a Gibson email this week about SGs.

I just looked at some flyers/catalogs:

Musician's Friend:

June thru October 2007 $579.99
November thru July 2008 - no Gibson SG Faded listed
September thru October 2008 - $699.99
November 2008 - $899.00
March 2009 $899.00 (The Buyer's Guide)

Sweetwater:

Spring, Summer 2007, Spring 2008 - no Gibson SG Faded listed
Summer 2008, Winter 2009, Spring 2009 - $758.97
On-line now at $699.97 marked with a Price Drop!

I'm not interested in these, so I never noticed the prices differences from 2 different "big" retailers where the price difference was substantial. Plus to me at least, it looks like Gibson took them "out of circulation" for awhile - right before the price rise to $899.

Now if Fender would do something similar. :thwap:

As you can see I have nothing better to do with my time today :whatever:

Ah well, back to some scales and 12-bar blues :dude: I need to make some noise :R

Gil :cool:

ZMAN
May 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Yea the prices have been up and down on them and they have come in several pickup combos. I have played an older worn brown and it was very nice. It really stacked up well against my 68 SG special. I would think it would be a great entry level guitar for someone you wants the Gibson experience. It is a quality guitar without all the bling.

ibanezjunkie
May 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
i found one for £499 once. then lost my favourites when i got a new computer. gutted.