PDA

View Full Version : fireflies, ii

Childbride
May 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
it was circa a year ago today that i started a thread about the fireflies that delight texans this time of year.

they are back.

maggie saw her very first fireflies tonight... she startled and tried to chase them at first, but seemed to immediately recognize that they were Good Magic and not to be messed with.

my husband and i were ankle deep in lawn that he'd just mowed a week ago, and the fireflies at twilight were everywhere, like mother nature's pre-summer softly- glowing night lights.

magical.

shiner, maggie and i squatted near a copse of grass with a firefly in it that radiated green blinking light off and on like a promise.

there are things of beauty all around us.

sometimes we just have to look. :)

M29
May 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I think there is a song deep down in your post Childbride!

Geraint Jones
May 10th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I remember seeing them for the first time up in the the Golden Triangle on the Thai / Burma border it absolutely blew me away , you`re so lucky to have them in your garden .

oldguy
May 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
They are neat. We have millions of them every year here. It's nice to remember not everyone gets to see them, and that they're special.
We also have lots of purple martins, the birds that eat millions of insects.
As a sidenote, I don't know if the purple martins eat fireflies or not, but I've sat outside at evening time watching both, and I've personally never seen the martins eat them.........maybe they just know?

tot_Ou_tard
May 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
They are neat. We have millions of them every year here. It's nice to remember not everyone gets to see them, and that they're special.
We also have lots of purple martins, the birds that eat millions of insects.
As a sidenote, I don't know if the purple martins eat fireflies or not, but I've sat outside at evening time watching both, and I've personally never seen the martins eat them.........maybe they just know?
I thought you had written purple martinis when I first read this.