PDA

View Full Version : writing counterparts??????

fensonpaulcaster
May 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
HEllo =]

I need help writing counterpart riffs (not harmonies like 3rds 4ths and 7ths i need like riffs that compliment a main riff or a rhythm)
I'm not looking to write leads (yet lol) just how do i write counterparts to compliment my rhythms and main riffs?

for instance...... http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=ten+speed+of+gods+blood+and+burial&hl=en&emb=0&aq=o#

listen to the chorus and many parts of the riff have counterparts.

This band is amazing for this sort of things (please note the rhythm/riff split and riff/riff counterparts) Thesse guys are amazing in general especially to me because i'm such a perfectionist in music ( kinda defeats the purpose of music huh lol :thwap: please forgive my lack of musical spontaneity i'm not one for just playing wherever my fingers go, more like planning it out). They have extremely complex riff splits and soloes and there instrumentals in general are amazing to the point of near perfections and the vocals are just amazing his voise is so different and unique and there harmonies are so perfect and somehow archaic.

PS I apologize i think i posted this in the wrong section lol

ragnarpk
May 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
wow. open ended question. :s

i guess all i can say is that it'll come in time...? there's no winning formula or algorithm to follow that'll get you a counterpart riff as you call it.. just listen to coheed and similar bands for inspiration, and then just get crackin on practicing...

on an unrelated note, i played welcome home live the other day... siiiick :p

fensonpaulcaster
May 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM

i guess all i can say is that it'll come in time...? there's no winning formula or algorithm to follow that'll get you a counterpart riff as you call it.. just listen to coheed and similar bands for inspiration, and then just get crackin on practicing...

Oh wow thats awesome!! Great SOng! lol :bravo:

Suhnton
May 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Good answer :) . C&C are a good band, their music is very melodic. Some (earlier) bands I can hear in C&C's music are Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden and T-Rex (the T-Rex influence is especially noticeable on "Mother Superior"). C&C have updated the sound/formula a bit, but the fundamental elements are still the same. The 2nd guitarist in that band also has a hair metal band/project, so that is probably put into the mix somewhere too.
If you record your music, it will make it easier to work out complementing parts for each instrument. That's how I write most of my songs. I'm probably similar to you in that I like the bass parts to act as a counterpoint to what the guitars are doing.
Good luck, and let's have a listen when you're done.