PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Amp

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
I am looking to upgrade from my VOX AD3-VT. Justsguy caught my attention when he posted information on his new Fender Cyber-Champ. Justa gave a good review. I have learned from Justa that the Cyber-Champ is no longer being manufactured (as always, it is the way my luck goes). It looks like the closest thing still made by Fender is the FM65 DSP.

Has anybody played or used the fender FM65 DSP amp? What I am looking for most in an amp is the weight (under 35 lbs do to a bad back) and wattage (65 watts will meet my needs). The modelers on this amp will be an extra bonus.

I would appreciate any information from any Fretters that know of other amps close to these needs. I am looking for clean tones.

Robert
August 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Why do you want to upgrade from the AD30? I think it has great clean tones.

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
I play in a small praise group and the drummer and bass player are a little louder than me. If I max out the AD30VT, it becomes too distorted. Normally only the singers are mic'ed, so I can not mic the amp.

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
amp hunt....amp hunt....amp hunt....Tim come on down to orlando and we will hit all the shops here including a new place i discovered but have not been to that deals in used stuff!

Kids are back in school so my days are flexible!!

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Warren - find him a Peavey Classic.

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Warren - find him a Peavey Classic.

I am not familiar with all tube amps. Will a 15-watt keep up with a bass player and drummer? The drummer is not too wild. The bass player use a 50-watt bass amp. How much difference is there between a 10” and 12” speaker?

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Tim - Generally tube amps are louder than equally power rated SS amps. If your bass player is using a SS 50 watt bass amp you will smoke him playing a 20 or 30 watt Peavey Classic. *thumbs up*

Robert
August 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
Peavey Classic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Traynor YCV4 - all good tube amps for clean tones. They Traynor would be cheapest, wouldn't it? There's a lot more to choose from obviously, but these came to mind right now.

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
The problem I see in going to something like a Peavey Classic is that you're going to give up all that incredible tonal flexibility that the amp models & effects give you in the Valvetronix amps. Now, if you don't really use/care about that stuff, fine--the Classics are amazing amps for the money, and Lord knows, they're LOUD! But if you like the features of the Vox and just want more power/volume, why not look at the AD50VT? Or even the more fully featured AD60VT/VTX? Nice used ones come up on eBay from time to time. Only problem is that both of those bigger Vox models go about 44 lbs.

Robert
August 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, good point VDM. The 50 is definitely loud enough. It's always fun to buy different stuff though - the 30 and 50 ADVT sound the same pretty much. The AD60VTX however, is much more flexible and professional. Then I guess the cost starts going up.

SuperSwede
August 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
50w solid state is actually not much on a Bass amp.

tremoloman
August 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
A great sounding amp is the Peavey Classic series. They are a great bang-for-the-buck and are reliable as hell. I've had mine for 12 years and is still going strong. Too bad I've got to sell mine so I can get another Hot Rod DeVille to use as a backup for gigging.

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
There you go then....Trem....sell your Classic to Tim. You're welcome. ;)

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
There you go then....Trem....sell your Classic to Tim. You're welcome. ;)
pure genius!! :DR ;)

Tone2TheBone
August 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
*bows* thank you thank you. ;)

tremoloman
August 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
LOL... I'd sell it but I'm sure the S&H will be crazy due to its heavy weight.

Here's one close to the model I have that looks like a good deal so far:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-50-212-Tube-Amplifier-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ330011821281QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38 076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

duhvoodooman
August 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Call me a wet blanket, but that puppy weighs 67 lbs. Sounds kinda big for a guy like Tim, w/ a bad back! :(

Tim
August 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Yea VooDoo. My thoughts exactly. I'll keep looking, although I do like the Fender clean sound. That's why I was loking at the Fender FM65 DSP

warren0728
August 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Here's one close to the model I have that looks like a good deal so far:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-50-212-Tube-Amplifier-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ330011821281QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38 076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
that is a great amp....i played one at my friends house when i was in nyc....great tone but yeah it is not a grab and go....i would love to have it and use my classic 20 as a grab and go

ww

Cranium
August 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think Fender amps are good but the SS ones are probably not, I would suggest a fender tube amp for clean tone, but what do I know about Fender amps?! :D

Robert
August 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Might want to look at the Roland Cube 60 - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Roland/Cube-60+112+Combo/10/1
The clean sound is good on this one. It is a solid-state amp with a clean channel and a modeling channel.
Weight: 32 lbs.

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2006, 01:22 AM
The cube amps are good sounding amps.
If you run across a used (not produced anymore) Roland Blues Cube, buy it. They sound amazing, you can hear them on most recent Vernon Reid (Living Color) stuff. Highly recommended.

tremoloman
August 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM
You could always add wheels to your amp. I've seen several people add wheels to their amps. When you are ready to play, just pop 'em out so it can lie flat on the floor.

May be a viable option for you Tim!

Tone2TheBone
August 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I put wheels on my Jubilee but you still have to pick it up and put it in the car/truck and that sucks cause it weighs a ton. The Roland sounds like a real good idea.

duhvoodooman
August 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM
The cube amps are good sounding amps.
If you run across a used (not produced anymore) Roland Blues Cube, buy it. They sound amazing, you can hear them on most recent Vernon Reid (Living Color) stuff. Highly recommended.
I did a quick look on eBay and it looks like these get auctioned quite frequently. Going rate for a nice used one looks to be in the $200 - $250 range.

SuperSwede
August 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Here is another rather well known Blues Cube player:
http://stanfarwelldesigned.com/Images/rlnd_ad1_lrg.gif