PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 Spider series ?

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Any opinions ?
I'm getting tired of buying and returning pedals.
Before my Blues Jr. I had a Vox AD30, for whatever reason I HAD to have a tube amph. So once again I am distracted with the thought of a modeling amph. :thwap:
I'm very interested in hearing.
Thanks

t

ragnarpk
May 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I'm getting tired of buying and returning pedals.
t

aren't you getting things mixed up here..?

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
No, but I see how I confused my own thread, thanks for pointing that out.:AOK:
Now I have been buying and returning pedals looking for my tweaks.
I'm thinking dump the one trick ponies.

ragnarpk
May 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
ah. gotcha.

i dunno.. not a huge fan of the spider series myself... if its pedals you want to rid yourself of, you can always look into the line 6 M13 and just have it all there? or do you specifically need amp modeling?

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Excellent point rag, I need to check that out. Thanks

ragnarpk
May 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
glad to be of service ;)

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I checked that out, that is a lot of stuff, I think Spuds has one..
Not really what I'm looking for, I want simplicity and minimal clutter.. push a button, turn a knob. I can't stand having 10 parameters of 1 setting if you know what I mean..

ragnarpk
May 10th, 2009, 02:53 PM
yea i know what you mean.. umm well then i don't really know.. you can always check out the spider amps and see what you think, no use abandoning them just because i don't like them :p

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM
thanks for the input :rockon:

oldguy
May 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi, Ted,
You might check out a Fender Super Champ XD. Not sure how much power you need, but it's a nice little amph.
Pretty simple controls, and easy to get a good sound.:)

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Glenn

Robert
May 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I personally think Line 6 Spider amps suck big time. I wouldn't go near one if I have a choice. They're junk to my ears. However, it depends what sound you are after. I guess they might work metal tones? For bluesy, earthy tones - nah, look elsewhere. I stand by my long time view, that a Valvetronix will sound a lot better for country and blues tones. Have a look and listen to the Fender and Vox modeling amps. Peavey Vypypr might be another option, but I would rate them a bit lower than Fender and Vox for the type of tones I described.

ted s
May 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
thanks Robert, I'm missing my Vox I think.

Jimi75
May 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Those amphs are a the biggest disappointment! Line 6's plan really didn't come together. The spiders are lifeless, it is hard to get a good sound out of them and that is the reason why they all gather dust in the shops. I have checked the 2x12 version in detail for more than 2 hours. Darn does that thing sound shit**!

Jimi75

oldguy
May 11th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Ted, you could just get another Vox. You're already familiar with them and know what they sound like.
(I didn't much like the Vyper I played through, but you might.)

Spudman
May 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
it is hard to get a good sound out of them and that is the reason why they all gather dust in the shops. I have checked the 2x12 version in detail for more than 2 hours. Darn does that thing sound shit**!

Jimi75
I only tried a Spider (non valve) a little bit many years ago. It did nothing for me. Then when the Spider valve came out I tried that too and the last sentence above described it succinctly.

ted s
May 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Ted, you could just get another Vox. You're already familiar with them and know what they sound like.

Thanks for all the input guys,
Blues Junior + Line6 Echo Park = Vox VT50 and some money in my wallet.
:AOK: Done

markb
May 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Try the new VTxx series, Ted. They sound a wee bit better and have more memory capability (8 locations). On the downside you have to buy the VF5 footswitch to access all of it's features, no using that old Marshall or Peavey unit lying around cheap at the back of the store.

ted s
May 11th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Oops , typo, thanks Mark, VT50 is what it is.

ibanezjunkie
May 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
ifyou want to buy a spider, it has to be a Line6/Bogner SPIDER Valve. or it will sound aweful

ive played every different wattage and range of Spiders, spider IIs and Spider IIIs and they all sound god awful.

Plank_Spanker
May 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Save your money, be patient, and buy the be all / end all of modelers:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html

It makes any Line 6 or other modelers sound like bees in a can garbage.

Depends on your ears / wallet ratio...........................:pancake:

Jimi75
May 15th, 2009, 03:25 AM
ifyou want to buy a spider, it has to be a Line6/Bogner SPIDER Valve. or it will sound aweful

ive played every different wattage and range of Spiders, spider IIs and Spider IIIs and they all sound god awful.

???? We were talking about the Bogner Spider here, please read above, and we came to the conclusion that these amphs do not sound good.

ted s
May 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the input guy's.
I did the trade a few days ago for the vt50, very happy with that.
I don't need 50 watts, the 30 would have been more than plenty, but the larger cabinet, 12" and aux. speaker output sold me.

SuperSwede
May 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Congrats Ted, I want one of those too... So how do you think it compares with the older ADxxVT?

ted s
May 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well, so far.. way more models, same simplicity. As mentioned before, this one has a 12" while my old one was 10", so there sounds to be much more bottom end. I had today off and spent time with it. Loud crunch is good...
Huh ? what ?

SuperSwede
May 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Nice, gotta try to find one then!

TS808
May 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Oops , typo, thanks Mark, VT50 is what it is.

If you are going to go modeling, I agree with everyone here...take another look at the Vox VT series or find a nice used AD50VT.

I liked my Line 6 Flextone III XL when I had it, but the Vox modelers have a little bit more life to them in my opinion. The Flextone isn't bad by any means, but the Vox is more dynamic.

markb
May 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'll vote for the Roland Cubes personally. My Cube 60 has become a favourite at the local jam as an amp which is easy to dial in quickly and has enough punch to carry through the mix. Add basic, easy access effects and it's great in a rapidly changing covers situation.