PDA

View Full Version : Boost recommendations?

birv2
May 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
After hearing Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers, I'm inspired to try playing with just a boost pedal, since that's what his guitarist was doing. He was very clean but also warm and smooth/bright. If that makes sense.

I've been playing with some of my OD pedals and trying to see how they do as a boost - turn up the level, turn down the gain. Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if that's going to do the trick. You can see my pedals in my sig.

Or would I be better off just getting a regular boost pedal? If so, what's a good inexpensive one? Don't even bother recommending boutique stuff. ;) Can't afford to go that route.

I'm looking at the BBE Frequency Boost, which sounds like it might work with my rig, since my guitars and amp tend to be pretty dark/warm, unlike most Fender stuff. I'm even considering the Dano Fish and Chips and using the boost function there.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Blaze
May 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Heard that this onehttp://www.guitarpedalstore.com/guitar-effects-pedals.asp/pid_8314/productname_Behringer-PB100-Preamp-Booster-Pedalhttp:// was doin allright for the price but i would recommand a Xotic RC Booster ..

markb
May 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'd have said your TS or SD-1 would cover the boost thing quite nicely. Not really a transparent boost though, they will bump the mids. I used to use a stock TS5 or a DOD OD250 to kick my Pro Jr. Mostly the TS5 with gain low, level high and then dial in the tone control to push the sound out front.

Lev
May 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Marshall blues breaker II, it has 2 functions, it's a pretty bad overdrive but flick the switch to function 2 and it's an excellent clean boost. I'm using at gigs every week now and it is brilliant for boosting solos. The added bonus is that it's not expensive at all.

birv2
May 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'd have said your TS or SD-1 would cover the boost thing quite nicely. Not really a transparent boost though, they will bump the mids. I used to use a stock TS5 or a DOD OD250 to kick my Pro Jr. Mostly the TS5 with gain low, level high and then dial in the tone control to push the sound out front.

I've fiddled a bit with both of them, and they're pretty mid-heavy, as you say. Just depends what you like, I guess. I'm looking for more of a clean boost, I think.

Thanks for the ideas.

birv2
May 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Marshall blues breaker II, it has 2 functions, it's a pretty bad overdrive but flick the switch to function 2 and it's an excellent clean boost. I'm using at gigs every week now and it is brilliant for boosting solos. The added bonus is that it's not expensive at all.

I've never used one. Not sure if GC carries them, but I'll look around. Thanks.

I also re-discovered my Behringer EQ-700. It's got 15Db of boost, and if I leave the other sliders flat, it's a pretty clean boost and sounds nice, I can also shape the sound subtly by moving the sliders. The only drawback is it's a pretty hissy pedal. I realize that boosting anything will amplify the noise, but I wonder if other EQ pedals might be quieter.

oldguy
May 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
birv2,
You maybe could check out this old thread. Robert loves this pedal, or at least he did 2 yrs. ago. Maybe he'll check in on this.............

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2429&highlight=1963+boost

Spudman
May 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I've had pretty good luck with a Behringer PB100. It has bass and treble controls and plenty of gain. That might be a cheap way to check out a boost.

birv2
May 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
UPDATE - just bought a Dano Fish and Chips 7-band EQ. I've read some reviews and people said it's not noisy and has a good clean boost. Got it for $15 plus shipping off ebay.

Stay tuned.

Spudman
May 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
UPDATE - just bought a Dano Fish and Chips 7-band EQ. I've read some reviews and people said it's not noisy and has a good clean boost. Got it for $15 plus shipping off ebay.

Stay tuned.

That sounds like a good deal.

Robert
May 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
The 19 Sixty 3 as mentioned is a nice one. Very simple but creates gorgeous tone with my tube amps. Same with the RC Booster, although it has more options. Yummy.

schenkadere
May 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Stay tuned.

Good choice...love mine!

FrankenFretter
May 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I use both the Fish and Chips and a BBE Boosta Grande (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Boosta-Grande-Clean-Boost-Effect-Pedal?sku=157037) clean boost pedal. It's a good combo, although I really only use the F&C for when I want a midrangy Sabbath sound. Very happy with the BBE pedal, it really brought some of my less exciting guitars to life.

schenkadere
May 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I use both the Fish and Chips and a BBE Boosta Grande (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Boosta-Grande-Clean-Boost-Effect-Pedal?sku=157037) clean boost pedal. It's a good combo, although I really only use the F&C for when I want a midrangy Sabbath sound. Very happy with the BBE pedal, it really brought some of my less exciting guitars to life.

Boosta Grande is another great pedal. Affordable, beautiful simplicity.

birv2
May 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Just got the Fish and Chips today. So far I am LOVING it. Almost no noise, the boost seems very clean and transparent, but the sound can be shaped with very slight adjustments with the other sliders. It will take some time to play with the possibilities, but now I see why people say an EQ is the one pedal you have to have. Add in some clean boost, and we've got a winner.

I also played a bit with putting it before my modded SD-1 and really liked the smooth OD I was getting.

Only had about half an hour to play with it, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

I still think I'd like to try a Boosta Grande as well, though.

Bob

schenkadere
May 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Just got the Fish and Chips today. So far I am LOVING it. Almost no noise, the boost seems very clean and transparent, but the sound can be shaped with very slight adjustments with the other sliders. It will take some time to play with the possibilities, but now I see why people say an EQ is the one pedal you have to have. Add in some clean boost, and we've got a winner.

I also played a bit with putting it before my modded SD-1 and really liked the smooth OD I was getting.

Only had about half an hour to play with it, but so far I'm very happy with the purchase.

I still think I'd like to try a Boosta Grande as well, though.

Bob

Boosta Grande does one thing...does it well, but you have more flexibility with a 29 dollar Fish & Chips.

ibanezjunkie
May 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Blackstar HT-Boost.

valve driven boost pedal from blackstar.

birv2
May 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Went to the jam last night and played my JV strat through my Pro Jr. I had a new pedal combination: Dano Fish and Chips EQ through an Arion Tubulator.

I set the EQ in a little smiley face, boosted the volume about 10db, set the amp on 4, and let her rip. Wow. It cut through like crazy, and when I wanted a solo, I stepped on the Arion, which I had set with the level very low, and the gain about half way. Awesome smooth, thick tones.

I also handed my guitar to another player and sat back and listened, which was a first for me. It sounded great! This was with only the EQ.

Had more compliments than ever on my playing and tone. And all with my low-end gear -- got the Tubulator for 11.99 and the F&C for about 25. The Pro Jr is Fender's low end of the Hot Rod series, and the JV strat is MIM. Of course, I have made some changes to most of these:

Tubulator has Indyguitarist Brent Mason mod
Pro Jr has Ragin Cajun speaker and JJ tubes
JV strat has Custom Shop 54 pickups.
F&C is stock

I really do think that boost had a lot to do with the good tone, though.

;)

amokrun
May 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I tried an OD from MXR at the practice room from my friend's rig and thought it was good but made exceptional noise when the guitar is not being played. Will I also need a Hush or some other gate to use an OD? That hiss really annoys.

guitartango
May 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM
As i have said before only one booster/dist pedals to buy , as used by Dave G and Jeff B

Colorsound (http://www.macaris.co.uk/product_full.asp?productID=560&typeID=27&catID=5)

FrankenFretter
June 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Boosta Grande does one thing...does it well, but you have more flexibility with a 29 dollar Fish & Chips.

Having an EQ is almost essential, especially if you can't quite dial in the sound you're looking for with the amp tone controls, but IMHO, having a clean boost in ADDITION to the EQ is huge. Then again, I'm not a pro, and everyone has different tastes. I found my Boosta Grande on Ebay for cheap, otherwise I may not have it in the loop at all, but it's made a noticeable difference. Very noticeable with the single-coil guitars I own.