PDA

View Full Version : Marshall "Haze" amps

mechanic
May 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I just saw a page over at musicians friend I think it was showing the availability of a new line of Marshall tube amps.
Is anyone else interested in the new Haze series amps by Marshall?
Like where are they made and what do they sound like?
They are pretty darned cheap (for a Marshall) which has me wondering about the quality.
edit: sorry Robert I didn't see your post on this before I posted.
Feel free to delete this if you want.
Eric

ibanezjunkie
May 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
ive seen them

and they are pretty cheap for a marshall

but the smaller head is only 15 watts, and is approaching £450. whereas the blackheart handsome devil has the same wattage and uses the same tubes (i think) and is only about £250

markb
May 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Using the same valves doesn't guarantee the same tone. 6v6s are quite an odd choice to get a "classic" Marshall tone.

In olden times (the 1970s), the best used deals in the UK were for 4x12 cabinets and 50 or 100 watt British built heads. Just counting those using 2 El34s in the power section you had the choice of Marshall 1987 (best bet), Vox AC50 (good bet), Sound City 50 or 50R (iffy tone and reliability), Kelly (about par with the Sound City), Orange (totally unreliable, avoid) or Hiwatt (great but hard to find in the 50w version). These amps didn't all sound the same even though they were more or less the same thing on paper.

Don't confuse my comments about old Orange amps with the modern ones btw. This is one "reissue" series that's superior to the originals.