PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be a new Daddy! Epi G-400 on the way!

Viking Power
May 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well guys,

This is a bit of a surprise to me, but I've decided to get an Epi G-400 SG copy. It's on order and should get to my local GC next week.

Kind of a weird feeling. Totally NOT the guitar I pictured myself buying. I hope against hope that I can pull of some reasonable instro-surf with it as well as psychobilly/rockabilly stuff. I purchased a Peavey Vyper 15 amp as well. Again, hoping that I can get some of the diverse range of sounds I'm looking for out of this set-up.

Why go with the SG you might ask? Well, with my particular finger issue on my fret hand index, the neck just felt the best. That is the main reason. Other than that, I felt that the value to be had for $349 was quite exceptional. Much better than the $299 Epi LP 100 IMHO and on par with the Epi LP Standard which goes for $429 or more. What a difference between the LP 100/G-310 and the LP Standard/G-400's! Not just in the set neck vs. bolt-on, but in just the overall fit and finish. This mind you is coming from a noob, so I'm sure there are even more differences to the trained eye.

Other guits I tried out extensively: Epi LP's; Ibanez various inc. semi-hollows; Mexi-strats; and Squires. The semi-hollows that I looked at felt ridiculously bulky and had no weight to their sound. Sound-wise I felt the same about the strats/squires. Just too thin!

Again, I hope I don't regret my decision (I'm terrible about buyer's remorse!). I think that for punk, metal, blues, and classic rock I will be sitting pretty with the SG clone. The instro-surf and rockabilly are the only ones that I wonder about. Also, hope that it sounds good clean. It seemed okay when I fooled around at GC but again I'm a noob.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to getting it and quite frankly, if it doesn't do EVERYTHING that I want, then I guess the wife will just have to agree to another guitar down the road a little bit.:)

Rocket
May 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
...if it doesn't do EVERYTHING that I want, then I guess the wife will just have to agree to another guitar down the road a little bit.
What is "EVERYTHING" that you want it to do?

markb
May 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well, they look pretty cool relaxing on the porch :). That's an Epi Vintage G-400 I had for a while. It was a pretty good guitar, we just didn't bond the way I'd hoped.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2272/2397147753_3bec949a3d_m.jpg

My best tip for these is to get a wide grippy leather strap 'cos they'll go for your ankles as soon as you take your fretting hand away.

Spudman
May 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
My best tip for these is to get a wide grippy leather strap 'cos they'll go for your ankles as soon as you take your fretting hand away.

That is precisely why I've never gotten one. I love the sound and the neck but the balance is an issue for me. I've found better balanced guitars to fill the bill, but congratulations anyway. I hope you enjoy yours.

Viking Power
May 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM

That is precisely why I've never gotten one. I love the sound and the neck but the balance is an issue for me. I've found better balanced guitars to fill the bill, but congratulations anyway. I hope you enjoy yours.

I guess it's a good thing that I plan to play it "stand up bass" style whilst I kneel next to it then!? :messedup:

Seriously, though, I hope it doesn't prove to be a problem that I can't get past. Honestly didn't put a strap on it and play it standing when I was testing it out. Shoot! I guess I can always return it if it's unbearable. Though, I have to admit I have no clue as to whether there would be any "restocking" fees, etc. if I did return it.

Viking Power
May 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Welp, the new axe got to GC on Friday. I picked it up and jammed with it and the new amplifier last night for an hour or so....

Here's a terrible pic taken with my iPhone:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp283/jason_hegel/MyEpiSG.jpg

Let's see.....so far, I'm head over heels in love! Love the neck shape and the action is super low with no buzz. SO much easier for fingering than the acoustic!:bravo:

Regarding the overly heavy neck that some of you mentioned....I didn't seem to have any trouble although I will say that the strap I bought for it seems to be pretty grippy. We'll see how it goes.

Now I just have to figure out a name for this Weapon of Mass Destruction and it'll be a true member of the family!:D

oldguy
May 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Congrats on the new guitar. Looks nice from the pic.

Name it "Fast Eddie."

M29
May 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Congrats on the new git and amph VP, It sounds like a good marriage to me :rockon:

M29

bigG
May 17th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Very good, Viking! Glad you like your choice! Sounds like a winner to me! :bravo: :rockon:

Viking Power
May 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats on the new guitar. Looks nice from the pic.

Name it "Fast Eddie."

I'm considering that suggestion. Thanks! It actually drove me to look into who "Fast Eddie" is because my first thought was, "Wow, Eddie Van Halen played an SG at some point?":thwap: Very cool that he played guitar for Motorhead. Funny thing is, I thought of calling the SG "Lemmy" just because that would be cool. Coincidence? You be the judge.:rockon:

Viking Power
May 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Congrats on the new git and amph VP, It sounds like a good marriage to me :rockon:

M29

Thank you!

Viking Power
May 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Very good, Viking! Glad you like your choice! Sounds like a winner to me! :bravo: :rockon:

Thanks bigG!

Brian Krashpad
May 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Looks just like the one I used to have!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BotBIIfloorBKkneel71204.jpg

Congrats!

Viking Power
May 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Looks just like the one I used to have!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BotBIIfloorBKkneel71204.jpg

Congrats!

Sweet! I'll have to work on my flexibility a bit to pull that off!:master:

Brian Krashpad
May 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Sweet! I'll have to work on my flexibility a bit to pull that off!:master:

I find that a couple pitchers of beer is a good start.

:D

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
:rotflmao: :beer:

Viking Power
August 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
UPDATE: Fast Eddie it is!

tunghaichuan
August 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
UPDATE: Fast Eddie it is!

Then I dedicate this video to you:

D5_oPyavUaw

Fast Eddie Clarke of Fastway and Motorhead.

:AOK:

Cool axe, I've always wanted an SG.

tung

Heywood Jablomie
August 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Congrats on your new guitar, VP. I was particularly impressed by your description of it as a "Epi G-400 SG copy", which is exactly what it is. I find it interesting how so many Epi owners refer to their instruments by the Gibson names (G400=SG, Dot=335), as if that makes them the same thing. I had 2 SGs back in the day, and the neck-heavy aspect wasn't a big deal - hell, you can attach a five pound weight to the body and call it a Les Paul.

Monkus
August 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Good looking axe ! congrats! :beer:

bigG
August 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Man, VP, that's a perfect neck for your digit infirmity. Just went and checked one out yesterday (I learned on a Gibby SG Junior years ago) and I must say I was impressed by the G-400 in every way. And at $349 it's a steal!

Congrats on finally naming her...er, him! :dude:

Viking Power
August 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Congrats on your new guitar, VP. I was particularly impressed by your description of it as a "Epi G-400 SG copy", which is exactly what it is. I find it interesting how so many Epi owners refer to their instruments by the Gibson names (G400=SG, Dot=335), as if that makes them the same thing. I had 2 SGs back in the day, and the neck-heavy aspect wasn't a big deal - hell, you can attach a five pound weight to the body and call it a Les Paul.

NICE! :rotflmao:

Kazz
August 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Fast Eddie Felson from the Hustler and Color of Money movies yeehaa.

Fastway was a very kick butt band....I loved the music they did for the Trick or Treat sound track

bSfKJM9qqis

Plank_Spanker
August 7th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Congrats on the G400! :AOK:

duhvoodooman
August 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Enjoy your new G400. I sure like mine! :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

Duff49
August 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Heywood,

I don't know man, my '66 EPi SG copy of a Gibson has the SG nametag right on the truss rod cover and is an authorized by Gibson issue.

To me it is an SG and it is really nice trans cherry with nice details not to mention great pickups and feel. I also just bought a Gibson SG and I must say that it sounds better than the Epi SG.

But as far as I'm concerned an SG is an SG, as long as it is built to relatively close specs. Even my ESP LTD Viper is basically an SG, considering the SG style to an architype.

This type of thing has been argued extensively with those of one group going with the corporate line of exclusive use of the name, and others that recognize the "style" as a strat, tele, SG, LP, etc. Companies can't put the names on their instruments, although Epiphone can, but we can call them by their styles just as a communication tool; basically grouping guitars into style groupings.

So, since the Epiphone SG's are labelled as SG's legally and produced legally by Epiphone, I think it is totally appropriate to call them SG's in every sense of the word, unlike the Viper which simply has the SG mystique.

My Viper fifty, by the way, sounds, feels, and plays really great. ESP makes some great guitars.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Tibernius
August 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
My Viper fifty, by the way, sounds, feels, and plays really great. ESP makes some great guitars.

Off-Topic, but how do they compare to the Epi SGs? I've been thinking of getting a Viper 50, not sure whether the bolt-on neck would effect the sustain though. That and I'd be tuning it to Drop-B, and I'm not sure if it could handle that.

Duff49
August 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I have the Epiphone SG, the '66 Gibson Standard copy. It is awesome. I also have the Viper fifty, inexpensive SGish copy.

The Epiphone is a nicer guitar and sounds great and is fancy with lots of nice details; but the Viper fifty is inexpensive and has hot pickups and is a great guitar with great sustain, really great sustain. In fact I like it as much as the Viper 400, if not more.

The Viper has great sustain. Really great sustain. Think about sustain: Hendrix had great sustain needlesstosay and he played bolt on neck guitars a lot. He actually played an SG for a while if I'm not mistaken. The SG would have been set neck. My Viper has really good sustain and a great tone. Try one out. Mine is deep cherry red solid color and looks great. It is a comfortable guitar as well. I got it barely used for 150 at a local store and it still had the plastic on the pickups and tuners. Somebody never used it.

I also have a new faded brown Gibson SG that sounds and plays better than either of the other two SG style guitars I have. But it cost a lot more as well.

Hope this helps.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa 1