PDA

View Full Version : For gods Sake.

ibanezjunkie
May 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
i thought id made my mind up on the harley Benton GA5H, but when i went to order it, i found out that because my bank are fags, they want to charge me a £40 surcharge for transferring money abroad, and thomann want me to pay £30 delivery because i live in an area thats not catered for usually. so i thought stuff that idea.

now im caught between the Blackheart BH5H, the epiphone valve senior and the valve jr.

thoughts on all 3 please?

oldguy
May 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
My thoughts would be check on delivery prices for all three before you order one of them...............

Blaze
May 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Uk made ...Check the reviews

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5C-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483559

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/9/2/582492.jpg

5WDzcAd1evo&feature

markb
May 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Uk made ...Check the reviews

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5C-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483559

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/9/2/582492.jpg

UK designed, made elsewhere. Still good though :)

IJ (if I can call you IJ), forty quid sounds excessive for a currency conversion within the EU. A credit or debit card wouldn't attract that kind of fee unless the banks have gone completely bonkers since they destroyed the economy. Hitchin's not exactly the middle of nowhere either. I'm really surprised at these charges. Maybe you should try a local store. Machinehead or Coda are in your part of the world iirc and should be able to offer a price near that of Thomann's (OK, not for the Harley Benton, I'll admit). I also remember a UK eBay seller modding Valve Jrs with positive feedback. Maybe worth a search.

marnold
May 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I REALLY want to try one of those Blackstars. They're the only small amph I've seen that can do metal-level distortion. It only has two tubes so the extra boost comes from SS stuff. Not that that troubles me since slapping a metal pedal in front of it would be the same thing. I especially like that it has features that the Blackhearts don't, like an effects loop and speaker-sim line-out. Check the YouTubes for clips.

ibanezjunkie
May 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
can someone tell me about their experiences with the epi valve jr? i would have thought it would be limited with only a volume knob

tunghaichuan
May 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
can someone tell me about their experiences with the epi valve jr? i would have thought it would be limited with only a volume knob

The newest ones (version 3) are pretty good out of the box. They are fairly limited with only a volume knob. They will do a nice low volume clean sound. They start to get dirty fast and do a great cranked (very loud!) OD sound.

I use mine as a platform for pedals, but mine is heavily modified. Mine has a large replacement output transformer, a reworked preamp section, tweaked power amp and power supply, lower gain preamp tube, JJ power tube and replaced input and speaker jacks. With the lower gain preamp tube and reworked preamp section, mine stays cleaner longer, but will still get a nice cranked OD tone.

The build quality is better than average. The chassis is kind of thin and will bend easily if the amp is dropped. The PCB is okay quality, but much better than version 2. The new, correct value output transformer isn't bad and is an improvement over version 2.

All in all, it is not a bad amp for the money but it is not highly versatile.

tung

ibanezjunkie
May 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
UK designed, made elsewhere. Still good though :)

IJ (if I can call you IJ), forty quid sounds excessive for a currency conversion within the EU. A credit or debit card wouldn't attract that kind of fee unless the banks have gone completely bonkers since they destroyed the economy. Hitchin's not exactly the middle of nowhere either. I'm really surprised at these charges. Maybe you should try a local store. Machinehead or Coda are in your part of the world iirc and should be able to offer a price near that of Thomann's (OK, not for the Harley Benton, I'll admit). I also remember a UK eBay seller modding Valve Jrs with positive feedback. Maybe worth a search.

i did my work experience, and bought my 8100, from machinehead, and im well known in coda.

i think i might just buy the standard valve junior head for £109 from coda and run it through my 4x12