PDA

View Full Version : Amor hit me! Les Paul Gold Top '57

Jimi75
May 12th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Ouuuuuch that was a bad idea going to the guitar dealer that is located next to my office. I was thinking about selling my ESP Eclipse and get a real Gibson. I called him today to discuss a little bit about the things I could sell and he said that I should check definitely some of the Historic Collection Pauls. Everybody here knows that Gibson sorts out the good Standards for the American market, oftentime in Europe you get the "remainders" only, so it's better to shoot at a Historic Collection Paula, 'cause the quality is darn good on most of them. He invited me to come by and check the 1957 V.O.S. Gold Top Les Paul he has. I went, I saw, I played and Amor shot his G.A.S. arrow directly into my little innocent musician's heart. Peng! It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard coming out of a Gibson guitar. Transparent chords, neck and bridge pu sounded awesome, the neck pu was gentle sounding, it was the mere personification of a blues sound. The neck was very smooth, this guitar just felt right and the looks were killer. The Gold Top was perfect. My brain keeps inventing plans all the time on how I could purchase this beauty the fastest way possible. This Paula together with my JTM 45....ohhhh boy....this couple could kill!

Here's the baby:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Goldtop-VOS.aspx

Greetz
J75

mrmudcat
May 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM
OH GOOD GAWD:crazyguy: :drool:

ZMAN
May 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
They are a sweet instrument for sure. I recently picked up a NOS Gibson Classic Gold top. This is not in the ball park of a VOS but it is an extremely nice guitar. I was a little worried about the Ceramic humbuckers but Gibson has the tone controls on this one just perfect. You can just about dial in any tone you want with it. It has the 60s neck and chambered body. I really love it.
With a set of burstbuckers or 57s it would sound even better.
If money IS the object I would look at the Traditional Gold top. And yes, the Gibby through that Marshall would be tone heaven for sure.
Just for comparison purposes, what is the price tag on something like that over there?

Blaze
May 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM
That some GAS there , beautiful but how $$$$ if you want to tell ??

http://www2.gibson.com/getdoc/8e1a8789-ce50-4d09-94da-97feb136a840/LPR7VOAGNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

Jimi75
May 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
T
Just for comparison purposes, what is the price tag on something like that over there?

2.550€ = 3.417 USD approx.

ZMAN
May 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM
So that is still a couple of hundred less than the street price here.
Now to put it in context, What is the average income over there. What I am trying to compare it to is the average salary in the US.

Robert
May 12th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Oh man, GAS kills!

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
For some reason the pics aren't opening for me, but all you need to say is gold top. That is a style that I just love!

Brian Krashpad
May 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yum!

Congrats!

Sehr gut!

Rocket
May 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
So... are you saying you purchased this VOS GT or merely lusting after it?

If purchased... color me green!
If merely lusting... uhhh... who isn't?

SuperSwede
May 13th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Jimi my man, you gotta have that guitar..

Jimi75
May 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I have spoken with my wife yesterday and she supports me with my wish. she said, let's see how far you get with your sales and we will take care of the rest then. Sounds good so far!

Regarding the question of the average income in Germany - well you know does it really matter what the income is? I mean I saw poeple who were bitterly poor, but their passion for music made them safe their last penny for a custom shop LP or Strat. Music is about passion and that is why even poeple who can not really play that good buy expensive stuff. Let us call it another kind of love :-)

One thing is very important though regarding the a.m., you have to be absolutely realistic about your living situation and circumstances. I have two beautiful children, believe me I think 1000 times before buying something and later on not being able to finance my kids school trip or our beloved summer holidays. It always has to fit the familiar frame, I have always to have a perfect feeling with no doubts when making such a purchase.

G.A.S. will never be a danger to my family or finances, I am too cooled down for such naive adventures.

Anyways, this LP is a dream instrument that will open new doors to my playing. You know that I love Strats the most and you might ask yourself how come that he is looking for such an expensive LP, well the reson is that I already have two great Strats and I don't see nay need to re-sell them and I always felt that my ESP Eclipse is not giving me the real LP sound, I believe the LP is worth the purchase and a great addition.

mrmudcat
May 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Stop bloviating already and buy it we need pics .or atleast I do!!!:master:

Rocket
May 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Stop bloviating already and buy it...
+1

ZMAN
May 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Jimi: My question about income was nothing to do with music. I was just trying to find out how difficult a 3500 US dollar purchase would be for the average person in Germany. I was not asking if your kids would be eating craft dinner for the next couple of months so you could buy the guitar. It was just for general knowledge.
And yes you should buy it.
I have owned many guitars, and some very nice American Muscle Cars that I could not afford, but it seems if you want it, you can make it happen. It really is amazing.
OH and when are the pics coming?

Jimi75
May 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
EASY folks ;)

The Gibbie will come, but for sure not within the next couple of weeks.

ZMAN
May 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I waited forty years for mine so you have lots of time.

Plank_Spanker
May 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I want a gold top with P90's.............................long term GAS.................