PDA

View Full Version : Making my used Dot gig-worthy

markb
May 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM
So here's the update on the work I've done on this guitar to get it ready to rock.

Action adjustments - The bass strings were practically skimming the frets, the treble side action was a little high. Odd! Checked the neck, dead straight with decent relief. Raised the bass side to just under 2.5mm, treble side lowered to just under 2mm. Fast, more sustain now too.

Intonation - way out, I've run out of adjustment on the G saddle. It's close enough for rock 'n' roll, just a few cents off. I'll just turn the saddle round when I next change strings. I had to do this on an epi SG too.

Tailpiece - screwed all the way down as usual. I've raised this about one and a half turns to reduce string tension (way too high for 10s on a Gibson scale) and increase sustain. Took it a little further up but things got a bit rattly at the bridge. Back off a bit, perfect!

Pickups - The neck pickup was too high, the bridge too low. None of the pole pieces had been adjusted as far as I could see. Fixed.

Switch - replaced with a Switchcraft unit.

Knobs - replaced with black bell knobs. "Vintage amber" are impossible to read in even good light. I'm used to the visual and tactile clue that the set screw gives on a tele' so need to be able to see the numbers on this guitar.

I have no idea how the previous owner could even play this guitar with this setup. I checked it over very carefully before handing over the money but fortunately it was just that, badly set up.

So, here's the finished article

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2152/3526866975_a89e5bf701.jpg

And here's the only part of the finish I can criticise. The paint on the inner face of the lower f hole has been applied sloppily. Maybe a deal breaker in a new guitar but not this one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/3527679788_d6b936883b_m.jpg

SuperSwede
May 13th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Beautiful guitar Mark! The previous owner probably didnt understand what a good setup can do for a guitar, otherwise he probably wouldnt have sold this pearl.

just strum
May 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZMAN
May 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Mark. I believe every word. I purshased a 1990 ES335 that was exactly the same. Nobody like the guitar because it was totally OFF. Now rmember this is a 18 year old Gibson ES335 and I took it to my tech and he was amazed. He figures it has never been touched since it was new and nobody had set it up.
Now is it the jewel of my collection. It plays and sounds so sweet now. That is probably the problem with a lot of guitars that guys just don't like. They need a good tweeking.
Mark, what are the pickups? OPen coils are not stadard on the regular dot.

markb
May 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Zman, my strat was the same. A good guitar in need of a bit of work. The pickups are Duncan 59s which the previous owner had fitted. They're quite old models from before they put logos on the coils. I may get covers fitted down the line but I've no urge to reinstall the original Epiphone 57CHs. I got those thrown in as part of the deal. I know the Epi pickups are pretty good but...

Charvel San Dimas
August 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I picked up an epi-dot recently. I must have got one made on a Wednesday... Actions was slightly off for my taste-easily adjusted, but the pups were perfect, intonation - spot on, and neck camber needed no adjustment.

I love this guitar! Its a beauty! Chi-nee made!!!

I've heard a lot of chatter about replacing the pups - but plugged into my HS18E tube amp and avatar cab w/ single 12" celestion red coat wizard speaker - I see no reason to change them! Tone-a-licious!!! Epiphone guitars ROCK!

Kazz
August 31st, 2009, 04:10 AM
Charvel San......welcome to The Fret.