PDA

View Full Version : Heatseeker clip - 1st time I've recorded it!

Robert
May 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Well, first time with a SM-57.

http://www.box.net/shared/2ljt24h0ec

My usual way to show off my gear is with the video camera, of course. But this time, I wanted to try micing it with my SM-57. This means playing it fairly loud. Did I mention my wife wasn't home this evening...? :D

I didn't have much time and made just a short demo. It's a very simple E blues shuffle, which later changes into C# minor, where the lead comes in. I would have liked to crank the amp louder but our 5 year old kid wouldn't have liked that. I played at half volume or so of the amp, I think. I wasn't sure if she would wake up crying from all the noise, but it appears she slept like a rock. :)

I used my Suhr Classic, and unfortunately it has 4-5 month old strings and should be changed. However, since I had so little time, I just wanted to try something and use all the time available to actually record something at least... next time I will change strings! You can hear some buzzing when I bend notes, and that's because the strings are completely dead and just buzzing. Oh well.

I recorded 2 rhythm guitars, one on middle/neck pickup position, and the other one on the bridge pickup. I panned them right/left a bit, so the listener can get an idea of how the amp sounds on different pickup positions.

A third guitar comes in after a while playing a lead, on the neck pickup only.

I used NO effects at all when recording. Just guitar, cord, amp, SM-57 into my Toneport UX1, where I used a mic preamp model.

I added some reverb on all guitars in Garageband, as well as some delay on the lead guitar.

The bass was recorded through the Toneport as well.

I did no eq-ing of the mixdown - it's just plain true to the bone sound coming out. I thought that is better (or more true) perhaps since there is no "mixing wizardry" masking the real sound.

I put the SM-57 right on the cone on the top Eminence Wizard in my Avatar 2x12.
cabinet.
What do you think? Just trying to get decent amp tones, nothing more.

SuperSwede
May 13th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Great clip Robert, and nice to hear that more fretters than me are lazy (my strings is soon 6 months old :D )

Robert
May 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thank, SS - I guess we should change strings, huh? :D

sunvalleylaw
May 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thank, SS - I guess we should change strings, huh? :D

I am not going to admit how old mine are. But what a clip! My favorite of your recent ones by far. I like your new humbucker sounds, but I love the sparkle of this rig more. And I think the SM-57 into GB recorded it very nicely and catches much more of the nuances/articulation of that rig. Nice!!!!

Robert
May 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Steve! Since there has been so few replies to this thread, I thought this clip must really suck badly. It's not my greatest in any way, but it should give an idea of what the amp sounds like without any pedals or effects between guitar and amp.

Algonquin
May 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I like the transition into the lead break. I wasn't sure at first what made it stand out, but I see you cut the cymbals right there... very nice touch.

My two cents say the mic recordings come out better than straight into a Gearbox amp simulation.

:AOK:

duhvoodooman
May 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Sweet sounds there, Robert! Quintessential Strat sparkle. Very nice!

BTW, here's a link to an article on John Suhr in Premier Guitar:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200801/?folio=17

tjcurtin1
May 14th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Oops! Sorry - I thought I had responded - guess I got lost in listening to it about 10 times over while I was reading.... Great sound and playing, as usual!

Spudman
May 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
That worked for me. When you went to the change and started the solo it really took me along with it. Very tasty note selection. You really said something there that was easy to connect to. I hear more feeling in your playing. Now turn that little sucker up so we can really hear it.

Jimi75
May 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
First of all, welcome to the "I play old strings" club. The strings on my Jimmie Vaughan Strat were so old I could have only dared to play them when getting a fresh tetanus vaccination before touching it :rotflmao:

Robert, cool playing as always, the sound of the amph plus the guitar is very good too, but I hear white noise. I have really no big clue of recording with micros, but you should check with the more experienced folks here or elsewhere to improve the result.

Once you got it down, you should start recording your CD!

:pancake:

oldguy
May 15th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Sounded great, Robert! Especially the lead break, I could hear/feel the string bends clearly, and they were nice. Good job!:AOK:

Robert
May 15th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Thank you everyone. Anyone else hear the white noise Jimi is talking about? I am half deaf anyway. ;)

Good Suhr article, thanks for mentioning that on, Vood.

Spudman
May 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I don't notice anything, but then I'm deaf too.

SuperSwede
May 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
deaf man here, no white noise heard over here either

sunvalleylaw
May 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I am not picking up on anything out of the ordinary with regard to noise. Last time I checked, my hearing was still pretty good.

Blaze
May 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I hear something but i' m the tinitus man, so ! ...

Maybe Jimi starting to get a little Tinitus , hope i m wrong..

Jimi75
May 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ohhhhh it's so unfair to pick on a deaf man!

:rotflmao:

Man, what was I hearing there then????????????? Must have been the computer speakers at work.

SuperSwede
May 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Man, what was I hearing there then????????????? Must have been the computer speakers at work.

Maybe it was them...

Spudman
May 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe it was them...

What?

oldguy
May 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/1154a0f1ef735d28.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1104)

SuperSwede
May 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM
http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/ghosts/White_Noise_movie.jpg

helliott
May 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Love the sound of this guitar, and great playing. That transition to the C#m is really engaging. Really thoughtful touch. Is your lead there fingers or pick?

Robert
May 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Love the sound of this guitar, and great playing. That transition to the C#m is really engaging. Really thoughtful touch. Is your lead there fingers or pick?

Glad you like it. I used a V-pick on that recording.

Algonquin
May 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Do you think the recording closely captured the sound coming out of your amp? I know that may be hard to say for certain if you're playing back through computer speakers.

I'd really like to get more proficient with recording in general. I've been able to get some nice cleans recorded when using a mic, but I found the distortion seems to record a bit thin. Maybe I need to play around with mic placement a bit to get a better sound.

Definitely like to see more recoding posts in general in this section!

Cheers :beer:

Robert
May 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Algonquin, I'm not sure. I don't have good enough speakers to really say for sure. I just hope the tone I recorded is good, so let me know guys if it is/isn't.

Jimi75
May 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/ghosts/White_Noise_movie.jpg

Is here someone making fun of me?????????????
:rotflmao: