PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Mode

Justaguyin_nc
August 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
LoL.. I was told in a private message that Invisible mode is not really invisible.. I assume this means when you sit here as a guest... your still known... I guess if this is true.. I best let people know not everyone uses internet explorer..:) so with other browsers you can get news feeds from different websites plus you can have websites sit in tabs so you can get right to them.. I use OPERA and usually have about 10 tabs open at a time.. I also leave it sitting online most the time if I am here or not.. so.. sometimes.. even seeing invisible.. they may not be there..:) just a heads up..

check out Opera nice free browser..:D

:)

Justaguyin_nc
August 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Oh heck..I had Invisible on Settings..disregard..thought he meant while I was just on as guest somehow..lol.. my bad.. been told invisible mode still shows you online to others.. just with a red dot by your name.. heck, didnt even know I had it on actually..lol

Tim
August 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Justa - Sounds like your learning your system a little more intimately. I found out about the dots by going in and reading the Fret Net instructions. I can't imagine me doing that.

I was told not to leave your browser on for long periods while you’re away from the computer. People can come in the back way. Don’t know if it is true.

Justaguyin_nc
August 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I was told not to leave your browser on for long periods while you’re away from the computer. People can come in the back way. Don’t know if it is true.

I truely have nothing to lose on this system.. it's all replaceable.. I guess I been doing this since the early 80's and been fortunate not to have to much mischief happen to me... run a online virus checker now and then as those McAfee and Nortons tools seem to harm a system more then some of the viruses if nothing else slow a system imho and stay away from internet explorer by using a brand not likely to have the same backdoors and it seems to work just fine.. your browser is the least of your worries if your connected all the time.. there is a bunch of ways to get into a computer..many ports to scan and come into.. the question is.. why would someone want to waste their time with us? to many real things in the world to worry about..that one just does not register with me... just run a firewall other then the one in Windows and your average hacker should leave ya alone.. most of all..never run an executable file you recieve from a un-trusted website or in email.. and if all else fails... re-install windows and do it again.. probably getting rid of alot of old stuff not needed. :)

SuperSwede
August 6th, 2006, 01:48 AM
People can come in the back way. Don’t know if it is true.

Perhaps time to get a Mac, Tim? :D

Anyway, the browser itself doesnt open any dangerous ports to the internet (port 80 for http). So there is no problem with that. If you got a firewall and a updated virus killer you should be safe. But do check the back door of your house, someone might sneak in that way ;)

Justaguyin_nc
August 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Well, Actually yes things can happen using the browser... http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1944579,00.asp for example... reason it's best to use a third party browser although they my not be that much better they have less attacks and defeat pop-ups better it seems.. as for the backdoor to the house...try a deadbolt..;)

Justaguyin_nc
August 6th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Perhaps time to get a Mac, Tim? :D

Ummm Tim.. I think the Mac is a great idea..especially with special sauce , lettuce and cheese...

:rolleyes:

warren0728
August 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Perhaps time to get a Mac, Tim?
+1 on the mac!! and i use firefox as my browser....like it alot

ww

SuperSwede
August 7th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Firefox is a very good browser, but I think that Safari is a bit sharper on most sites.

Justa, whats in the special sauce? I prefer garlic.