PDA

View Full Version : triple rec+BBE sonic maximizer

amokrun
May 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I saw the stomp box for the BBE sonic maximizer discussed here, so I hope I am not in the wrong place with this as I have the 482i rackmount. Totally new to rackmounts(or any addon equipment in general), so I would like to know, do I connect the BBE through the FX loop of my Triple Rec? Also, all of the LEDs light up whenever I strike a note, regardless of how much I adjust the bass/high corrections(even when both are turned completely to the left). Am I doing something wrong in the loop?

Sorry about this newbie-type of question, gear upgrading has never been something I got into until now.

Griffin
May 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Copy and pasted from another forum:

"This has been discussed a few times before. According to the Sonic Stomp manual, you can put it in the effects loop if you want to. Both of my guitarists do that and it works out fine. The main thing is that you put it as late in your signal path as possible. However, you can't always put it in your effects loop. I have my SM racked, and the output from my effects send is too hot for the unit. I have to run from my pedalboard to the input of the SM, and then from the output of the SM to the input of my amp."

Hope that helps.

amokrun
May 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for replying!

I think that I have the same "hot send" situation. So if I don't use a pedalboard, is there another way?

Griffin
May 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
From the 482i manual:

"The BBE 482i is designed to work with -l0dBu line levels. This is suitable for professional and semi-pro mixers, P.A.
consoles, recording studios, or D.J. equipment. The BBE 482i drives load impedances down to 1K Ohm and supplies a
maximum output level of +18dBu. Plugging a guitar or other high impedance device directly into the BBE 482i will
not work properly as its input impedance is less than 50K ohms."

Looks like you might be having an impedance problem. Take a look at the recommended setups on page 10 of the manual here: http://www.bbesound.com/support/products/sonic%20maximizers/482i_manual.pdf

Looks like they recommend a preamp before the SM. You might want to find out where your effects loop is inserted in your amps signal.

amokrun
May 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Looks like they recommend a preamp before the SM. You might want to find out where your effects loop is inserted in your amps signal.

Sorry for this, but what does that mean? This is the first time I have ever tried the effects loop, so I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to do what you've suggested.

As for the diagrams, I saw the same layouts in my manual, nothing there specifically for a head. I just assumed that the pre- and power-amps comprise the head and so just used the loop.

This is a bit frustrating, I had no idea how little I knew about gear and hookups.