PDA

View Full Version : New Amp Day Vox Pathfinder 15r

ZMAN
May 16th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I decided I needed a practice amp to leave at my daughters in the US.
When I visit for longer periods I like to bring along an amp, guitar and a couple of pedals.
It is a pain in the butt taking them across the border, not to mention space.
I decided on the Vox Pathfinder because I had heard good reviews here, and on other sites.
I was able to track one down at Buckdancers Choice music Store in Portland Maine. It was a floor model but excellent shape and he threw in a couple of sets of strings and only charged me 100 bucks no tax.
I really don't expect much out of it but so far it sounds really good. I only plugged it in and made sure it all worked and I am pretty impressed with the tone already. I know it is an SS amp but it does sound very tube like and not sterile. I haven't used the BD2 with it yet and I brought a little Squier QMT Strat.
It also has a headphone jack so I can noodle away without waking up the new Baby. When he finally arrives! The wait is on, due on Wednesday.
It looks pretty cool as well, and I think it will be just what I need.

markb
May 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I had a Pathfinder 10 for a while which sounded great clean even with its tiny 6.5" speaker and was OK with pedals including a BD2.

ibanezjunkie
May 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
you should have got an epi valve jr or something, probably smaller than the pathfinder, ligher and its tube so most likely sounds better.

the only SS amp ive ever liked playing is the H&K, hence why i havent sold it. the drive is actually nice.

ZMAN
May 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I have had it a couple of days now and I am more than happy with the tone.
The valve junior was on my list but it didn't have the features I wanted.
I wanted a headphone jack and a reverb. If you heard this little amp you would think it was a tube amp. You have to remember I have a 15 watt Blues junior, a 22 watt 65 deluxe and a 40 watt Marshal DSL 401, but I didn't want to cart them all the way here. So far so good.

ibanezjunkie
May 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I have had it a couple of days now and I am more than happy with the tone.
The valve junior was on my list but it didn't have the features I wanted.
I wanted a headphone jack and a reverb. If you heard this little amp you would think it was a tube amp. You have to remember I have a 15 watt Blues junior, a 22 watt 65 deluxe and a 40 watt Marshal DSL 401, but I didn't want to cart them all the way here. So far so good.

yeah the valve Jr is a little feature less, thats why i got the BH5H instead. most VOX stuff is pretty good actually. i like those 'amp plug' things