PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Beck: Live @ Ronnie Scotts

bigG
May 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
(I think that was the title.) Has anyone else seen this on TV or DVD? Absolutely, jaw-droppingly amazing!

There's a cable channel called Palladia that's only offered in HD. Owned by Viacom (MTV, VH1 and many other channels), I have it where I live, and it's the best music channel I've seen. Man, they offer great concert vids, club vids, documentaries...really good stuff that you wanna watch. I caught this Jeff Beck show last night (2 hours) and words can't describe how blown away I was. Just think of every superlative in the book and it applies!

I thought I was pretty familiar w all of Beck's unconventional style and tricks, but man, was I wrong! He was doing stuff last night that I have never seen him or anyone else do before. A relatively small club setting, killer gear and sound = perfect for Beck and his three compadres (yes, Tal was on bass - God, she's great!) Each of the four musician's are absolute masters at what they do, and the fun and musical interplay between them is pure magic.

I remember thinking to myself: man, if he's not an alien from another planet, then he is certainly super-human. Mere humans just can't do that amazing stuff w such apparent ease and grace!

I must check to see if this is offered on DVD. It's a must buy! And, after the Beck 2 hour show, was an hour long Who concert in the UK from 2006 (!) and then - a REPEAT of the 2 hour Jeff Beck show, and I watched it again with glee! Great channel, that Palladia! Oh, and prior to the first Beck show airing was the 81-82 Stones Tour vid (another 2 hours)! (I happened to catch this Stones tour in Orlando in 1981, and still have the t-shirt to prove it.)

What a GREAT Saturday night I had - 7 hours of great, great music - non-stop! In HD and 5.1 surround sound! But, even being the Who lover and Stones fan that I am, it was Jeff Beck who stole the night! Truly, really, honestly AMAZING! Did I already say that?! :D :bravo: :master:

Blaze
May 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
It is on DvD , a must have for Beck s fan ..Nicest concert you can see in a small London club with first class musician.. I love it..

http://www.amazon.com/Performing-This-Week-Ronnie-Scotts/dp/B001NP8PQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242566239&sr=8-1

Rx Tone
May 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
That bass player is a badass, too....

Mick
May 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
My wife and I enjoyed both shows (Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts & The Who at the Roundhouse). Seeing Beck perform closeup like that was a real treat, he's awesome, but it was the base player, Tal Wilkenfeld, that really blew me away. She looks like a cute, curly-haired little 13-year old girl, but she rocked that base like an old pro and looked totally relaxed on stage. We just assumed she must be Beck's daughter or something. I found out later that she's actually older than she looks (21 according to Wikipedia), and she's already played with several big name acts. That's amazing considering how young she is, and especially because of how little time she's been playing.

mrmudcat
May 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yea I bet joss stone and tal and jeff sounded good .I love joss and wish she would stay away from her pop record pushing label/management.Her plus some blues based musicians backing her up in my opinion would be nice.I do like a few of her tunes.Tal, what can I say that can describe her:master: We have been following her a long time the boys love her:D ;)

Mick
May 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Here's a link to Palladia (http://www.palladia.tv/) in case anyone wants to see what's coming up.

We've been watching it a lot lately. It's a great channel. The Fender tribute show they had on a while back was fantastic.

Kazz
May 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I have my Tivo set up for a "season pass" to that Soundstage show so it records every concert. I have not watched the Jeff Beck episode yet, but now I know it is worth watching :-)

Tivo is definitely changing the way television is watched.

Blaze
May 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Extract here :

DE79nmitkz0

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
He is running the vintage modern amps on high dynamic range in some clips.One on top is off and most likely a backup(Ithink it is the joss stone clip.);)

I hope I can get that sound or close.:AOK:

The clip above looks like some marshall on top he is running and the bottom is a v/m turned off:confused:

Robert
May 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm listening to that excerpt Blaze posted. That's some wonderful and masterful playing, boys!

I don't think Jeff has ever been better. He's at the top of his game!

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ECdYboOVA

Can someone fix im dumb today:whatever:

This is through the v/m:dude:

Blaze
May 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Extract here :

DE79nmitkz0

Oh ! That s the clip with mr. Robert Plant having a brief smile ..

Blaze
May 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ECdYboOVA

Can someone fix im dumb today:whatever:

This is through the v/m:dude:

P7ECdYboOVA

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Brother Blaze:master:

Blaze
May 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Brother Blaze:master:

No problem..Mud

This entire concert is a music dynamic masterclass..We should all learn how to drop intensity or level up in the right time,just like these top musicians do ..

Notice how Beck s guitar is noiseless too..

bigG
May 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I just found a couple more from Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's.

I'll just post one - this is killer nasty! Drips w attitude:

"Big Block"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdX6ly6ftUM

Hope you dig it!

Blaze
May 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Well deserved second all of fame nomination for Jeff..

vsFHv4aQALg

FX0aRxIpW88&NR

Robert
May 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Have you noticed he walks around a lot when he plays?

bigG
May 20th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Have you noticed, at age 64, he still looks like he did when he was 30! I sure don't!

I was thinking of guitar playing innovators from over the years:

First, a nod to all of the Mississippi Delta players and Chicago cats. W/o ppl like Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Son House, Willie Dixon (and on and on), the blues might have never happened for guitarists, or, the guitar might have never gained lead-instrument status, as it were.

In the first tier of electric guitarists, I'll name 3 who I think were the TRUE innovators: Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Each of them were pioneers who took the guitar to new heights in their own unique way.

The second tier would include EVH and Stanley Jordan.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Perhaps you disagree...?

BrettS
May 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
["Have you noticed, at age 64, he still looks like he did when he was 30! I sure don't!...
...In the first tier of electric guitarists, I'll name 3 who I think were the TRUE innovators: Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Each of them were pioneers who took the guitar to new heights in their own unique way.

The second tier would include EVH and Stanley Jordan..."]

OK. First, I have always considered Jeff to be among the greatest of guitar innovators. Still do!

But nobody has real hair like that at 64.

Is Jeff Beck wearing a wig?

(...and always the same length, too)! I'd listen in awe, regardless. Really! But mine own hair, along with almost everybody else, went south somewhere by my late 40s, at the latest.

For innovation in rock, I'd put Eddie in the top tier — although technically played to death now, his tapping was quite unique and developed for it's time. Its impact is still seen even here, by Jeff Beck, to some minor extent.

OK. Bombs away...let me have it.

bigG
May 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM
OK. First, I have always considered Jeff to be among the greatest of guitar innovators. Still do!

But nobody has real hair like that at 64.

Is Jeff Beck wearing a wig?

(...and always the same length, too)! I'd listen in awe, regardless. Really! But mine own hair, along with almost everybody else, went south somewhere by my late 40s, at the latest.

For innovation in rock, I'd put Eddie in the top tier — although technically played to death now, his tapping was quite unique and developed for it's time. Its impact is still seen even here, by Jeff Beck, to some minor extent.

OK. Bombs away...let me have it.

No bombs, Brett! This is all personal opinion, subjective - no one is "right", including me (he said w humility). I just wanted to hear other people's opinions. Thanks for posting yours! :D

I was wondering abt his hair, too, I would think it's certainly dyed at least. Great hair, though, no matter! Yeah, mine went south within the last 10 years. I'm 58, got tired of long hair that was thinning on top (looked stupid to me), so I buzzed it all off abt 4 years ago.

But he also looks fit, no beer gut, etc...it's not just his hair. And his face isn't nearly as "craggy" as Jagger or Richards - he just looks much younger than his years, in every way! :bravo: to him, whether it's good, clean living or in his genes...credit where credit is due, eh!

And, Brett, this isn't aimed at you. Just something everyone needs to understand, I think: So many arguments, fights and misunderstandings are started over opinions that are of a subjective nature, which is not only silly, but dumb. People need to UNDERSTAND that certain "arguments" are merely subjective, such as YOUR favorite car, YOUR favorite guitar or amp, YOUR favorite movie or TV show, etc, etc,...The world would be a much kinder, understanding place, I think! :beer:

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. :) Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished? That's not the way I feel, I assure you. I came up gigging on bass and rhythm long ago, and I'm told I was pretty good. But I was never a lead guitarist, and that's what I'm working on now. My goal is to become a good, if not very good, lead guitarist. Granted my bass and rhythm experience gives me a big boost towards this goal, but I'll admit right now that I'm no great shakes at lead guitar, and many, or most of the soundclips posted on here are by much better players than I am. I'm just another picker like everyone else, trying to learn and improve every day. I hope this clears up any preconceived notions or misconceptions about me that any fretter might have - I assure you, I am just one of the guys, and certainly not better than anyone else, in any way. How's that for a bit of soul-bearing! :D )

BrettS
May 26th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Good reply! Yeah, Jeff kept off the weight, and he looks great.

Used to do corporate interviews, mostly mid-aged females.

I was amazed that by ~40, many of the admitted long term cigarette smokers and people with lots of prior sun exposure looked much older, esp. in facial wrinkles and coloration...

bigG
May 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Don't know who all saw it, as I added it a bit later after the original post. I thought it bared repeating so that those who only read the original post might see it:

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. :) Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished? That's not the way I feel, I assure you. I came up gigging on bass and rhythm long ago, and I'm told I was pretty good. But I was never a lead guitarist, and that's what I'm working on now. My goal is to become a good, if not very good, lead guitarist. Granted my bass and rhythm experience gives me a big boost towards this goal, but I'll admit right now that I'm no great shakes at lead guitar, and many, or most of the soundclips posted on here are by much better players than I am. I'm just another picker like everyone else, trying to learn and improve every day. I hope this clears up any preconceived notions or misconceptions about me that any fretter might have - I assure you, I am just one of the guys, and certainly not better than anyone else, in any way. How's that for a bit of soul-bearing! :D )

BrettS
May 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Don't know who all saw it, as I added it a bit later after the original post. I thought it bared repeating so that those who only read the original post might see it:

(As an aside: Do I come off as a know-it-all, just waiting to pounce on someone? If I present myself in that way, I apologize - it's certainly not the case. :)...Or does the fact that I've been playing for 45+ years make anyone think I'm so much more accomplished?

I never picked up any of that. No worries!:)

bigG
May 26th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks, man!

mrmudcat
May 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Brett im 43 and have long brown hair to my waist or so. I have 3 boys and no grey hairs:rockon: I do got them in my beard if grown but those are freakin white!!!

BrettS
May 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Brett im 43 and have long brown hair to my waist or so...

OK, I'm pissed.

:)

bigG
May 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I hear ya , mr. mud. My hair was to my waist for years, since my late 20s. I dug it, the chickies dug it, all was right w the world. I had been a gigging, recording, touring musician, then I owned a record store for abt 3 years - good stuff...best years of my life!

Then it started going gray, then white in my late 40s. Still cool.

THEN it was all white and real thin on top in my mid-50s. In abt 2004, I also had a walrus mustache. Long story short, I was in Circuit City checkin out CDs (SACDs actually - bummed me out when SACD didn't make it. I have an SACD player and abt 400 SACDs, so I'm pretty well set, though. LOVED that hi-res format!***)...back to the story: this lady in her 40s walked up to me and said I reminded her of David Crosby. Well, that tore it!!!! It was within weeks that I went to Walgreens and bought barber's shears and SHAVED my head!

(***Just part of my 1,500+ CD collection, 3,000+/- vinyl LPs and abt 300 45 rpm vinyl singles...that I'm very proud to own. ALOT of collectables in there!)

I nearly puked after I'd done it. Felt like a sell-out. But, it was all to the good. SO liberating. I had been having a hard time w the FL heat, tired of taking long showers and blow-drying my hair, etc...Now it's just a quick 5 min shower and no hair to worry abt or keep me sweatin'.

Worked in well w my plan to simplify my life as much as possible. It's kind of a bummer to look like a "regular" 58 y/o man, having waved my freak-flag high for SO many years, but with a closely shaven head and white 'stache and goatee, I can still pass for a jazz musician, so I don't really look like a "regular" old man - more like a regular old-fart jazz cat! :rotflmao:

Oh well, it is what it is, as they say. In the end, I'm glad I did it. At least that's what I keep telling myself...:confused:

Blaze
May 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
How about a picture of yourself here BigG..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4682&page=14

BrettS
May 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
["I hear ya , mr. mud...this lady in her 40s walked up to me and said I reminded her of David Crosby. Well, that tore it!!!! It was within weeks that I went to Walgreens and bought barber's shears and SHAVED my head!..."]

Hey, even David Crosby has to get old! (Well, then again, he almost didn't make it. Never mind). Anyhow, I feel better again.

marnold
June 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
FWIW, Amazon has the Live at Ronnie Scotts album (http://www.amazon.com/performing-this-week-live-Ronnie-Scotts/dp/B001LA3LYU/ref=pd_ts_c_th_dm_al_19?pf_rd_p=379471301&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_i=dmusic&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02S3BY7VYJQBWN8P97Z7) for $5 right now on their MP3 store, although I just noticed that the CD/MP3 album doesn't have the guest appearances on it. You'll need the DVD for that.

bigG
June 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Rev, I got the DVD just days after posting this originally ($14.99 locally). I think the DVD is the #1 way to go, obviously for the upclose Beck technique, etc...If they'd had the CD, I would've bought that, too, but as a secondary choice.