PDA

View Full Version : FENDER SUPER CHAMP XD-Am I Crazy??

street music
May 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I placed an order at my local guitar shop yesterday , an hour away in West Virginia for a new Super Champ XD 15 watt, I have listened to many sound clips and thing these are great sounding amps but this will be my first tube amp. So what can I be told about this model before it arrives??

Gil Janus
May 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Not crazy at all - did you read the thread about mine ?

New Amph Day - ... (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10668)

Several members of TheFret own these - we all seem to love the amp. Fender has winner in this amp. :AOK:

And since I finally own an acoustic-electric, my new used Ovation sounds really nice using voice 16. :bravo:

Gil :cool:

ibanezjunkie
May 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
it has a solid state preamp, but a tube power amp

whazzapointinat? :O

street music
May 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Gil, i'll check that out.

markb
May 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
it has a solid state preamp, but a tube power amp

whazzapointinat? :O

Peavey VTX series, Music Man, Fender Champ 25, Line 6 Spider Valve are all examples of pretty good sounding amps with this setup apart from the XDs. It adds the warmth and feel of a valve power stage to the versatility of a solid state preamp (plus modeling in the case of the XDs and the Line6).
I gigged a Peavey Classic VTX for a couple of years. It had great clean sounds, the OD was 70s transistor fizz.
If you use a pedal in front of a valve amp you're doing more or less the same thing.

street music
May 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Gil, now I know why I missed your thread- I was still working on ice storm damages. Thanks for the link, good info posted there, I'm still trying to decide if I will keep the Fender Princeton 65 or Crate acoustic amp. The acoustisonic setting is really nice on the XD.

oldguy
May 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Street, I have one also. Take some time and get to know the amph, tweak it a bunch and I think you'll find it's a good little outfit. I got the footswitch with mine, and it'll do some serious clean/overdrive work switching channels.
Also, if you have a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, hook it up and it gets loud.............:)

TS808
May 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Street, I have one also. Take some time and get to know the amph, tweak it a bunch and I think you'll find it's a good little outfit. I got the footswitch with mine, and it'll do some serious clean/overdrive work switching channels.
Also, if you have a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, hook it up and it gets loud.............:)

On the Super Champ XD, how do different speakers color the tone?? Just curious due to the modeling technology in it...will different speakers color the tone much?

oldguy
May 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
On the Super Champ XD, how do different speakers color the tone?? Just curious due to the modeling technology in it...will different speakers color the tone much?

Doesn't seem to much on mine. I PM'd you also.
It just gets "bigger". And better. :)

Gil Janus
May 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Well, I can't tell you since I don't have any external cabs (yet), and I haven't changed the speaker - the stock one seems fine too me. But I only play at home, and I haven't had the amp over 6 or 7 yet - and that was loud enough for me and the family - no neighbors have complained yet. :)

Now that the weather is better, I'll try it out on the back deck - then maybe a neighbor might complain ;)

Gil :cool:

piebaldpython
May 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM
TS808......... there's an entire section of a website devoted to the Fender SCXD. A bunch of guys have changed their speakers out and the consensus winner of the modded speaker goes to the Eminence Ragin' Cajun. Guys say putting in the RC really adds to the SCXD.

street music
June 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Got the Super Champ XD home last night, I've only played around with it about an hour, used my Tele, Godin, and my Takamine A-E through it and can say that it is an amazing amp. I decided to sell the Crate acoustic amp after hearing my Takamine played through the XD on the Acoustisonic setting.
So I then played the new TELE and just came up with so many combinations that I got the Godin out and let both humbuckers talk a little. I will have to say that I couldn't find anything that this amp isn't going to produce for me. IT can scream, give you blues, country, classic rock or just BLACKFACE CLEAN FENDER tones. Thanks for those who recommended it, so now I'm a 2 FENDER amp home. I wonder what the next case of GAS will produce?????:drool: