PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone So-Cal 50 head

ibanezjunkie
May 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ive seen these around in various places, never actually had the time to sit down and test one properly though

i know its an all tube signal path, with a solid state rectifier and spring reverb.

anyone own one or have an opinion on them? could be putting this down on a very early xmas list...

oldguy
May 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I own one and IMO it's a good basic 50w head for the money, but the reverb's nothing to write home about. The clean channel is nice, the OD is also.
I haven't played through a Peavey Windsor head, but I'd bet it's a better bargain when they're blowing them out cheap to move them. Just my opinion.

ibanezjunkie
May 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM
sorry to bump threads, but...

since ive come across one of these, for £240 as appose to the RRP of £300, ive reconsidered by initial dismissal of them. ive looked at valvekings as such, but i dont really need 100 watts. dont wanna drown out the other intruments and such when we play live, and our PA s only 100 watts so..you know. anyway, the epi so cal at 50 watts sounds much more attractive to my needs, i dont use reverb much, so dodgy reverb isnt a problem. aslong as it has nice sounds all the way from clean upto distorted, its most likely a really good choice for me.

what do you think?

oldguy
May 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I think you should play one and see if it suits your style of music and skill level.............barring that, at least research it before you dive in.........here's one to get you started.
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

SHUjNcimakI

ibanezjunkie
May 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
well, i cant get many cleans out of my BH5H, because its 5 watts and has almost no headroom for cleans. plus even at full volume in pentode mode, it still lacks much gain. so i figure id have to buy a valve distortion pedal in order to get nice valve distortion which are like £109, so i figure ill buy something with more clean headroom, and built in overdrive and footswitchable channels.