PDA

View Full Version : anniversary of the end of the berlin blockade

ibanezjunkie
May 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
it sorta slipped my mind, that the 12th of may this year was the 60th anniversary of the end of the berlin blockade.

you know, when Stalin cut off all supplies to the american, french and british sectors of berlin in 1948?

ive been studying this stuff in history for GCSE.

the 12th was the day that stalin gave in and let the supply trains roll again, after the allies had air-dropped in thousands of aeroplanes full of supplies into berlin.

:beer:

Ch0jin
May 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
If your really interested in that kind of thing, try and get a book called "Stasiland" by Anna Funder.
A friend who grew up behind the wall gave me a copy in English. It was a real eye opener for me on what happened in East Germany before the fall of the wall with a focus on the Stasi (E.German secret Police).

ibanezjunkie
May 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
If your really interested in that kind of thing, try and get a book called "Stasiland" by Anna Funder.
A friend who grew up behind the wall gave me a copy in English. It was a real eye opener for me on what happened in East Germany before the fall of the wall with a focus on the Stasi (E.German secret Police).

i just find it slightly worrying that two allies could turn on eachother so quickly like Russia and the allies did. i watched a vid of a british pilot who was talking about how weird it was to be air-dropping supplies into an area that he'd recently been air-dropping bombs in.

Ch0jin
May 20th, 2009, 04:18 AM
i just find it slightly worrying that two allies could turn on eachother so quickly like Russia and the allies did. i watched a vid of a british pilot who was talking about how weird it was to be air-dropping supplies into an area that he'd recently been air-dropping bombs in.

Yeah I know what you mean, I put it down to a classic case of "My enemies enemy is my friend". No more enemy, no need for an alliance.