PDA

View Full Version : Slow Minor First Take

Robert
May 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
A slow minor blues improv late evening before bed, first take. Suhr Classic and Plexi Jump Lead amp model with a bit reverb and delay.

Slow Minor (http://www.box.net/shared/nc0hyie4bf)

Still gotta changes this medieval strings, they are getting bad, but I'd rather play than change strings, if you know what I mean! :)

SuperSwede
May 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Nice one Robert! I really need to change my strings now cause the guitar lost a lot of treble and sparkle... yours sounds better so I guess you can keep them for a couple of months more ;)

Jimi75
May 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Smooth! Nice phrasing and the tone is still good also with he old strings on your guitar.

I like the little out of the box playing at the end of the song.

Great job Roberto!

mrmudcat
May 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
:beavisnbutthead: Hey that has me grooving this morning

sumitomo
May 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I like that tone,and I like that little run toward the end(I'm still trying to pull little runs like that together so I notice)Sumi:D

Spudman
May 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Very nice Maestro. :bravo:

I had done the same backer a long time ago. I thought I posted it but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, here is what I did with it.
http://www.box.net/shared/b40ess1nbr

Blaze
May 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
For some reason both of you guys take don t open on Firefox but does on Explorer..

Anyway , nice groove from both of you !

:bravo: :bravo:

bigG
May 19th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Very nice, Roberto! Tasty, and I love the tone! One of your best yet :bravo:

I missed yours on the first go round, spud, sorry. Just heard it. Excellent! You two are very very good! :bravo: again!

Robert
May 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Very nice, Roberto! Tasty, and I love the tone! One of your best yet :bravo:

Thanks! One of my best, really? What makes it one of the best? Just curios! :)

Spuddie, you sound great on that track! :AOK: Except I am not really digging your tone in the beginning, neck pickup I'm guessing? It gets better when you switch to the bridge pup.

bigG
May 19th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks! One of my best, really? What makes it one of the best? Just curios! :)

It's just so tasty, and killer tone! Your playing just fits the b/t so nicely, really smooth and alot of feeling in the phrasing...the juxtapostion between the smooth and the stacatto is brilliant. You hit it spot on, my friend! :master:

djmcconnell
May 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I really liked it, too. Very tasty -- and tasteful with some nice touches. I aspire to play at this level some day, where I have the technique to get the notes from my head all the way to the strings.I

I just gotta keep practicing!

marnold
May 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
For some reason both of you guys take don t open on Firefox but does on Explorer..

Anyway , nice groove from both of you !
Works for me with Firefox 3.0.10 in Linux.

Nice playing all around!

Spudman
May 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Spuddie, you sound great on that track! :AOK: Except I am not really digging your tone in the beginning, neck pickup I'm guessing? It gets better when you switch to the bridge pup.

It was done a long time ago as I was searching for better tones from the Vamp. That one wasn't a keeper. Thanks again for the backing tracks links.

mrmudcat
May 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Spud what was your set-up?

Spudman
May 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Spud what was your set-up?

I used an OLP Luke copy into a Vamp Pro. It was some patch that I have no idea about. It could have been one of a dozen amps. I just can't remember which.

tjcurtin1
May 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I just read something that gave me sone insight into how you guys (at the level of Robert, Spud, etc.) do what you do when improvising - thought it might be of interest - here's the relevant excerpt:

"The differences in how babies and adults pay attention are primarily caused by the unformed nature of the prefrontal cortex, a brain area just behind the eyes. While the prefrontal cortex has been greatly enlarged during human evolution - it's responsible for a wide variety of cognitive abilities, from directed attention to abstract thought - it's also the last brain area to fully develop, and often isn't done developing until late adolescence.

Although scientists have long held the lack of a functional prefrontal cortex responsible for all sorts of "childish" behaviors, researchers are beginning to realize that, sometimes, it might actually be better to allow the prefrontal cortex to loosen its grip.

A recent brain scanning experiment by researchers at Johns Hopkins University found that jazz musicians in the midst of improvisation - they were playing a specially designed keyboard in a brain scanner - showed dramatically reduced activity in the prefrontal cortex. It was only by "deactivating" this brain area that the musicians were able to spontaneously invent new melodies. The scientists compare this unwound state of mind with that of dreaming during REM sleep, meditation, and other creative pursuits, such as the composition of poetry. But it also resembles the thought process of a young child, albeit one with musical talent. Baudelaire was right: "Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will."

Now, in regards to the association with such ability/thinking and childish behavior, I leave to the more advanced musicians to discuss....:poke: ;)

Spudman
May 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
So you are saying that we don't have a grip and our brains aren't developed? Ya, I'd have to agree. See boys and girls - that's what rock and roll does for ya.:AOK:

piebaldpython
May 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Really nice playing Robert. Nice vibe. You sound very in control of what you're playing......as opposed to just wingin' it. Great stuff.

mrmudcat
May 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Wow tj that about sums it up brother I swallowed that whole with a coca cola chaser ....no mo beer fo me:whatever:

bigG
May 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I just read something that gave me sone insight into how you guys (at the level of Robert, Spud, etc.) do what you do when improvising - thought it might be of interest - here's the relevant excerpt:

"The differences in how babies and adults pay attention are primarily caused by the unformed nature of the prefrontal cortex, a brain area just behind the eyes. While the prefrontal cortex has been greatly enlarged during human evolution - it's responsible for a wide variety of cognitive abilities, from directed attention to abstract thought - it's also the last brain area to fully develop, and often isn't done developing until late adolescence.

Although scientists have long held the lack of a functional prefrontal cortex responsible for all sorts of "childish" behaviors, researchers are beginning to realize that, sometimes, it might actually be better to allow the prefrontal cortex to loosen its grip.

A recent brain scanning experiment by researchers at Johns Hopkins University found that jazz musicians in the midst of improvisation - they were playing a specially designed keyboard in a brain scanner - showed dramatically reduced activity in the prefrontal cortex. It was only by "deactivating" this brain area that the musicians were able to spontaneously invent new melodies. The scientists compare this unwound state of mind with that of dreaming during REM sleep, meditation, and other creative pursuits, such as the composition of poetry. But it also resembles the thought process of a young child, albeit one with musical talent. Baudelaire was right: "Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will."

Now, in regards to the association with such ability/thinking and childish behavior, I leave to the more advanced musicians to discuss....:poke: ;)

In other words, just loosen up, get in the zone, and let it rip! :rockon:

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Slow Minor (http://www.box.net/shared/nc0hyie4bf)

I'm hearing bit of a Robben Ford influence. That's a good thing!

sunvalleylaw
May 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Robert, I really liked that take. I like the patience and timing in the phrasing, and like Jimi, very much enjoy the out of the box creative freeplay toward the end.

Spud, smooth and legato (I guess that may be redundant) is your signature. You do it so well. Maybe the Vamp tone was not a keeper, but I like the aggressiveness in some of the tones. The combination of some aggressiveness with that smooth style is way cool.

:AOK: :AOK: to both you guys!

djmcconnell
May 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
The day after I read this thread about the affect of guitar playing on the brain I heard this MPR story about a similar affect that prayer and meditation have.

Music and religion have always been intrinsically linked for me, and perhaps because we're just wired up that way? Hmm.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104310443&ft=1&f=100