PDA

View Full Version : West coast blues instruction?

birv2
May 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Lately, I've really been getting into that west coast blues thing: jump, swing. Think Hollywood Fats, Pee Wee Crayton, etc.

Can anyone recommend some instructional materials for learning this style? I'm pretty OK with standard blues (minor pentatonics, Chicago style), so I wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Thanks!

sumitomo
May 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I have a dvd from Ronnie Earl,he gets into some jazzy blues stuff with different chord extensions for color.Its called Blues with Soul.Sumi:d

birv2
May 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I have a dvd from Ronnie Earl,he gets into some jazzy blues stuff with different chord extensions for color.Its called Blues with Soul.Sumi:d

Does he actually teach, or is it one of those "here's how I do it, just watch and copy" DVD's?

sumitomo
May 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
It's him playing,showing how he likes to voice stuff,but he slows things down and even stops to show chord voicings and other goodies.Plus there is a looping section where it is slowed down and the pitch is normal,it helps alot to catch the groove.I picked mine up for 10 bucks and it had tab also.I feel these type lessons are great for busy people because even at 2 in the morning hey the teach is always ready.Sumi:D

birv2
May 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I think I'll try to pick this one up. That youtube clip from this dvd is absolutely amazing. If he slows it down and shows some of the stuff, it would be well worth it.