PDA

View Full Version : NFL - Will Michael Vick Return?

R_of_G
May 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM
As you may know, Michael Vick is scheduled to be released from prison within the next 24 hours. The sports media is abuzz with talk of a potential comeback for Vick. I don't think we necessarily need to discuss what Vick did to land himself in prison, though I'm not opposed to discussing it either.

What I do want to talk about is that I think there is one item that the media seems to be overlooking in all this discussion... Michael Vick has yet to serve a day of any suspension levied by the NFL. I hear a lot of "he'll have served his time," and "everyone deserves a second chance" but am I alone in thinking that there still needs to be league imposed consequences for Vick's actions?

He was not suspended last year. He didn't play because he was in prison. Adam Jones was suspended just for being arrested (albeit being arrested multiple times) but still, suspended for being arrested, not tried and convicted. Michael Vick made a deal, which is equivalent to a conviction. He needs to be suspended by the league before we even begin to discuss when he will come back. If he is not suspended, I will consider it a massive display of hypocrisy by the league, signaling that those assumed guilty are penalized more than those proven guilty.

After he serves an NFL imposed suspension, then he can go sign with the Raiders or the Cowboys or whoever is hiring felons at that time.

marnold
May 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm somewhat torn on that. I don't really think that the Pacman and Vick situations are the same. Vick didn't have a rap sheet as long as your arm. While I don't condone violence against animals, Pacman's was violence against human beings--including one that will never walk again. Of course, in our country these days the life of an animal holds greater value than that of a human being--but I'm in danger of veering off course.

No doubt had Vick not been convicted, he still would have been suspended. Actually, he has been suspended by the league since he plead guilty. Already he's out 1.5 years in a league where the average career is about 3 years. He would've made a ton in endorsements. Now I doubt he'll get a cent. Wherever he might play, you can bet PETA will be protesting. It'll take a franchise like the Raiders or Cowboys to take him. I'm not so sure either will be interested, so the whole argument may end up moot. After all, while his abilities with his legs were unquestionable, his ability to actually play quarterback was questionable at best.

Of course, who knows what can happen. Ray Lewis is celebrated again in the NFL.

R_of_G
May 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM
A suspension running concurrent to his prison term is meaningless. He couldn't have played anyway. It shouldn't count, and for me, doesn't count.

As for whatever team takes him, there will be a lot more than just PETA protesting. There are plenty of other people who think what he did is despicable. Not that it would happen, but hypothetically, if he came to the Bucs, you can bet I'd be out there protesting his presence. For the record, I'd have protested Ray Lewis or Adam Jones as well. Violence is wrong be it against a human or an animal. They're all disgusting people in my eyes.

Rocket
May 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Who?

R_of_G
May 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Who?

Him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick

Rocket
May 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick
Sorry... didn't finish.
Who... cares?

R_of_G
May 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry... didn't finish.
Who... cares?
Obviously not you.
Others might and are free to post accordingly.

piebaldpython
May 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hmmmmmmmm.........this is just me musing here. With most of our athletes, they get suspended for stuff that happens on the field/arena of play. The ones that do stuff outside the "game", they get suspended as their "penance" for violating a league's "code of conduct". However, in 99% of the cases, they haven't gotten jail time like Vick did. The league punishment is all they get.
My gut feeling is that whatever the NFL gives him as punishment will have totake into account his "jail time". No matter how you look at it, he's a convicted felon (that was a felony, right? ) and that will hamper what he can and can't do for the rest of his life.

just strum
May 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
YES

RAIDERS - He's just the kind of player Al likes.