PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Connecticut

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm popping in to introduce myself.

I've had the the pleasure of having Wingsdad as a very close friend of mine during the course of the past 6 years or so. The beginning of our friendship was rather cosmic in nature....an alignment of the stars perhaps.

I hail from Connecticut where the grass isn't always as cool and green as was sung by Little Feat. Taxes are high and winters lasts far too long, but I'm not here to venture into discussions about politics or global warming.

I'm here because of my love for all things guitars, mandolins, banjos, drumsticks and everything else I can put my hands on to make musical noise.

Hopefully, I can share with you some of the musical noise I have already made or share some of the noise I'm in the process of making. :thwap: Maybe that's not such a good idea! :D

Anyways.......I'm here.

I've been hanging around here for the past few weeks and I have been reading and listening to quite a bit of the music that has been posted.

Good stuff! :AOK:

Randy

Robert
May 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Welcome Randy!

Glad to have ya!

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Welcome Randy!

Glad to have ya!
Thank you, Robert.

mrmudcat
May 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Welcome! Better wait for the thank you's others will drop by this is a very forum friendly place:beer:

bigG
May 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Welcome 60s_guy! Good nick! I'm a 60s guy myself - best decade of music ever, I think! :beer:

Rocket
May 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Where in CT?
I spent an inordinate amount of time in Groton. Wanna guess why?

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Where in CT?
I spent an inordinate amount of time in Groton. Wanna guess why?
At the submarine base would be my guess. My father in-law served on the Nautilus which was a bit before your time.....yes?

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Welcome! Better wait for the thank you's others will drop by this is a very forum friendly place:beer:
OK..but I tend to be impatient! ;)

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Welcome 60s_guy! I'm a 60s guy myself.
:thwap: And all this time I have thought there was only one of me. :confused:

Let me guess. You have blonde hair and blue eyes. Right?

luvmyshiner
May 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Welcome aboard Randy. Any friend of Mick's is a friend of the Shiners!

markb
May 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hi, Randy!

Rocket
May 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
At the submarine base would be my guess. My father in-law served on the Nautilus which was a bit before your time.....yes?
Well, it was launched in the year of my birth... and it's still there.
Still don't know whereabouts in CT you are.

birv2
May 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the crew, Randy. It's a great place to hang out and talk all things guitar.

Since you're a 60's guy, what are your top 3 albums of the decade?

Mine would be...

Are You Experienced?
Disraeli Gears
Surrealistic Pillow

Bob

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, it was launched in the year of my birth... and it's still there.
Still don't know whereabouts in CT you are.
I'm in Ellington, CT.

I was born in Westerly, RI and lived there until I moved to Ellington in 1980.

Rocket
May 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm in Ellington, CT.

I was born in Westerly, RI and lived there until I moved to Ellington in 1980.
Hey! One of my fav hangouts... Andrea Hotel at Misquamicut Beach. Played there many, many times.

60's guy
May 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Since you're a 60's guy, what are your top 3 albums of the decade?

Mine would be...

Are You Experienced?
Disraeli Gears
Surrealistic Pillow

Bob
I must be entering the initiation phase of theFret! ;)

You're putting me on the spot to name my 3 top albums from the 1960s?

You got one out of three correct......Disraeli Gears.

Super Session and the Blues Project are two albums that are immediate stand out albums for me, but there are countless other albums as well.

wingsdad
May 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Welcome aboard, at long last, my friend :) :beer:

OK..but I tend to be impatient! ;)

Only when you need to be... :poke:

....a very close friend of mine during the course of the past 6 years or so. The beginning of our friendship was rather cosmic in nature....an alignment of the stars perhaps. ...

Indeed it was. I get lucky that way, every now & then...glad you're here...;)

Jimi75
May 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Welcome to the Fret. You will like this place :-)

oldguy
May 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Randy. Glad you joined us here, nice to have another friend of Wingsdad around the place.

birv2
May 20th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I must be entering the initiation phase of theFret! ;)

You're putting me on the spot to name my 3 top albums from the 1960s?

You got one out of three correct......Disraeli Gears.

Super Session and the Blues Project are two albums that are immediate stand out albums for me, but there are countless other albums as well.

Nah, it's not a test. Being a 60's guy myself, I just wanted to see what kind of stuff you liked.

By the Blues Project, are you referring to the NYC blues band -- You Can't Catch Me, Cheryl's Going Home, Flute Thing? If so, I'm a huge fan. Though I wouldn't have put it in the top 3.

Anyway, welcome!

Bob

sunvalleylaw
May 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the Fret! I agree, a friend of Wingsdad's is sure to be an asset here. Thanks for joining!

ted s
May 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Welcome Randy !

Tomko
May 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Glad to have you here. I'm a newbie myself. So when did the 60s end and the 70s began? I can't remember.....:beer:

Rocket
May 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
So when did the 60s end and the 70s began? I can't remember...
When Pontiac stopped making a muscular GTO!

60's guy
May 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hey! One of my fav hangouts... Andrea Hotel at Misquamicut Beach. Played there many, many times.
When I was in high school I used to catch a ride to school with the son of the owner of the Andrea Hotel. His name was Ralph. He drove one of those old volvos that looked like a pregnant volkswagon (I forget the model).

Ralph ended up owning and running the Andrea Hotel after his dad passed away. I stopped in there for lunch one day about 5 years ago and I inquired about Ralph. I was told that Ralph had passed away a year earlier.

Life is way too damn short!

Rocket, if you remember the Andrea, surely you also remember the Blue Sands.

60's guy
May 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I appreciate it.

Rocket
May 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
When I was in high school I used to catch a ride to school with the son of the owner of the Andrea Hotel. His name was Ralph. He drove one of those old volvos that looked like a pregnant volkswagon (I forget the model).

Ralph ended up owning and running the Andrea Hotel after his dad passed away. I stopped in there for lunch one day about 5 years ago and I inquired about Ralph. I was told that Ralph had passed away a year earlier.

Life is way too damn short!

Rocket, if you remember the Andrea, surely you also remember the Blue Sands.
Yep... Ralph Colucci. Rough looking mafioso type... big heart though.
He really like the sub sailors and always wanted to get more of them up there to the hotel, (actually to the bar & night-life.) All the guys at the subase saw him as kind of a benefactor & protector... bailed me out of jail once!

60's guy
May 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yep... Ralph Colucci. Rough looking mafioso type... big heart though.
He really like the sub sailors and always wanted to get more of them up there to the hotel, (actually to the bar & night-life.) All the guys at the subase saw him as kind of a benefactor & protector... bailed me out of jail once!
Ralph Colucci indeed!

I didn't want to mention Ralph's last name, but now that you have...Ralph was (how do I say it?) connected when he was in high school. Kinda like Tony Soprano's son, AJ. :whatever: It's one of those....don't go there stories. You get the picture.

Ralph and I used to ride around together in that Volvo smoking cigarettes and doing donuts with that car on ice covered roads and parking lots.

I was the sane copilot.......sort of. :thwap:

It blows my mind to encounter someone online who also knew Ralph in real life. It really is a small world afterall.

Rocket, if you ever travel back up to New England, send me a PM. We could meet up at the Andrea Hotel for a beer or 10 and play Keno!

Here's another question for you.

Do you remember the Neptune which was across the street from the Blue Sands?

Rocket
May 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ralph Colucci indeed!

I didn't want to mention Ralph's last name, but now that you have...Ralph was (how do I say it?) connected when he was in high school. Kinda like Tony Soprano's son, AJ. :whatever: It's one of those....don't go there stories. You get the picture.

Ralph and I used to ride around together in that Volvo smoking cigarettes and doing donuts with that car on ice covered roads and parking lots.

I was the sane copilot.......sort of. :thwap:

It blows my mind to encounter someone online who also knew Ralph in real life. It really is a small world afterall.

Rocket, if you ever travel back up to New England, send me a PM. We could meet up at the Andrea Hotel for a beer or 10 and play Keno!

Here's another question for you.

Do you remember the Neptune which was across the street from the Blue Sands?
Uh-huh... I know all about Ralph's connections. Like I mentioned, he helped me out a LOT. I'd love to meet up at Andrea, dig up a car (maybe)... I'll pass on the Keno though.
Although I used to go to Andrea lots but never really frequented any other of the establishments that I can recall. We did used to go to the State Beach & Watch Hill YC on occasion.

Brian Krashpad
May 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Youse crazy Yankees and your wiseguy stories.

Welcome Randy.

Katastrophe
May 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
A big, ol' warm Texas Fretter welcome, Randy!

Any friend of wingsdad's bound to have an appreciation for fine guitars. Stay late, post often and enjoy the madhouse!

bigG
May 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
:thwap: And all this time I have thought there was only one of me. :confused:

Let me guess. You have blonde hair and blue eyes. Right?

Ooops - sorry to catch your post so late, man!

You're right...only one of you, and most certainly only one of me! God help him if there's another me out there! :D

Nope, hair was black. Now, at 58, it's white as new fallen snow! Eyes are still hazel, last I checked. Blonde and blue-eyed, eh? Reminds me of more than one girlfriend from long ago! :)

Hope you enjoy your time here. I'm sure you will. We older dudes gotta have a gathering place to talk music and old times, eh! :dude:

Monkus
May 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Welcome !!!

60's guy
May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks one and all for the very warm welcome!

I appreciate it.

player
May 26th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Wecome Tothefret Randy I know you will like it here. :rockon: :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
May 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Welcome!

Rocket needed bailing out?

Nah! Couldn't have happened. He's as pure as bigG's hair.

You guys are making up stories.

Rocket
May 27th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Rocket needed bailing out?

Nah! Couldn't have happened. He's as pure as bigG's hair.
Short story: I was picked up for public inebriation (apparently that was a misdemeanor crime). I was attempting to crawl back to Subase Groton from Misquamicut Beach on my hands & knees... I was 17. I learned my lesson. After that, whenever inebriated... I drove back!

tot_Ou_tard
May 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Short story: I was picked up for public inebriation (apparently that was a misdemeanor crime). I was attempting to crawl back to Subase Groton from Misquamicut Beach on my hands & knees... I was 17. I learned my lesson. After that, whenever inebriated... I drove back!
Good thinking.

I also was picked up on a beach for public intoxication at about that age.

My friends showed me what I had brought back to them on my drunken travels--a basket with a baby's bottle, change of clothes etc. I must'a thought it was interesting. I didn't remember anything about it. They were drunk too or they would have looked for the anxious mom.

I'm sure that I'm still working off karma for that.

Pickngrin
May 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Welcome, Randy, from a fellow Central Connectican (transplant).

Childbride
May 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
welcome! :) :wave:

60's guy
May 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Welcome, Randy, from a fellow Central Connectican (transplant).
Transplanted to Connecticut? or from Connecticut?

It's important to know if I should say hello or goodbye.

Either way.......:beer:

Pickngrin
May 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Transplanted to Connecticut? or from Connecticut?

It's important to know if I should say hello or goodbye.

Either way.......:beer:

Hehe.... to Connecticut. "I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello"