PDA

View Full Version : Fender Bandmaster VM first impressions

TS808
May 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I got my Bandmaster Vintage Modified head today and here are my first impressions:

Clean Channel: This is really interesting. The front end of the Bandmaster is 2 12ax7 tubes....one of the tubes is used for preamp distortion and the other is the phase inverter. In other words, the clean channel is solid state. Yes, you read that right. But the 2 6L6 tubes warm the amp up a bit so you get those Fender cleans....bright with a responsive EQ...sounds great.

Overdrive Channel: The overdrive channel will give you everything from a nice bluesy crunch to a Marshall "brown sound" (fender even has a brown sound suggesting setting). I had the gain on 3 and the volume on 4 and got a really nice, smooth overdrive sound that wasn't too gritty or too clean...pretty much perfect for blues and venturing into classic rock territory. The drive channel sounds real smooth on the neck pickup but bright on the bridge pickup so you either have roll back the treble and increase bass, or roll back on your tone knob.

As you increase the gain, on a moderate volume, the amp seems to peak into a "high mid" thinner sound, and it almost gave me the impression of a digital amp with some tube warmth. It doesn't sound bad at all, but it doesn't sound "all tube" to my ears. Other people who have reviewed this amp say the overdrive is somewhere in between the HR Deluxe and Super Champ.

I ran this head through a USA Crate 212 Cab with Tone Tubby speakers.

The reverb is digital on this amp but sounds pretty good. I haven't experimented much with the chorus or delay yet, and only spent about 30 minutes playing through the amp tonight.

Overall, it seems that you can pretty much dial in any sound you want; the EQ is pretty responsive, and I'm assuming that if you crank this amp, you'll get more bass response and less of the high end. I played this amp tonight with the bass and mids on 7 and the treble on 3 in my basement at a low to moderate volume and it sounded pretty smooth and creamy on the bridge pickup of my strat with the tone knob opened up the whole way.

This is not a high end Fender amp, nor is it a piece of junk...it's a solid home amp or gig amp that covers alot of territory.

What struck me the most is how LIGHT this head was....my Blackheart Handsome Devil may be a little heavier or the same weight.

I'll write more as I rack up more mileage on it, but initial impressions are that it's a pretty good amp. I wouldn't say that it is a "bang for the buck but it's a decent value.

Robert
May 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Cool, these amps are news to me. You buy amps like I buy stamps!

TS808
May 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Cool, these amps are news to me. You buy amps like I buy stamps!

Check out the Deluxe Vintage Modified combo...same amp in a combo version.

markb
May 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Sounds good. I like the fact it has a "two channel amp" interface rather than a "multi-effect" type like many digital (or part digital) amps. That will make it much more usable in a live situation than say the Vox ADs or VTs. Need more bass for the room, just turn up the bass. Easy, no programming necessary.
Thanks for the review. None of the VM amps have appeared in NZ so far so I'm interested to hear what they're like.

Blaze
May 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Funny i was watchin this clip of the Clowny Greg Koch about this same amp few minutes ago ..

Here it is

Djl2s0RVo5M

TS808
May 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Sounds good. I like the fact it has a "two channel amp" interface rather than a "multi-effect" type like many digital (or part digital) amps. That will make it much more usable in a live situation than say the Vox ADs or VTs. Need more bass for the room, just turn up the bass. Easy, no programming necessary.
Thanks for the review. None of the VM amps have appeared in NZ so far so I'm interested to hear what they're like.

Mark

That's what I really wanted in an amp..two channels...two EQ's. The Blackheart is a great amp as is my Peavey but the shared EQ thing leads to alot of tweaking. I like to sometimes play clean and sometimes distorted and like the fact that you can set the amp and concentrate on playing and just hit a footswitch. I prefer to plug straight in to the amp (no pedals) so two channels with separate EQ's is a nice feature.

markb
May 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Mark

That's what I really wanted in an amp..two channels...two EQ's. The Blackheart is a great amp as is my Peavey but the shared EQ thing leads to alot of tweaking. I like to sometimes play clean and sometimes distorted and like the fact that you can set the amp and concentrate on playing and just hit a footswitch. I prefer to plug straight in to the amp (no pedals) so two channels with separate EQ's is a nice feature.

I don't mind shared eq, both my amps share some of the tone controls, as long as the channels are voiced in such a way as to work. On some amps I've owned or used it just doesn't work. It works for both the TM60 and the Cube 60 with little to no tweaking. On the TM60 the separate mid controls on each channel deal with it, on the Cube it just kind of works without fuss. It's nice to have totally discrete controls though.
Plug into amp, use footswitch. My favourite way of working too :AOK:

TS808
June 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Now that I've owned this amp for a few weeks now, here is a bit of an update:

I like this amp alot but have found one "issue". On the drive channel, this amp is extremely bright when using the bridge pickup on my strat. I practically have to roll the treble down to "3" or back off on the tone knob to my strat to eliminate those glassy, spikey highs. This is a very bright amp on the drive channel, and the clean channel is actually much warmer.

I'm wondering if there is a simple mod to tame some of the brightness on the drive channel.

Jimi75
June 8th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Cool review! Sounds very interesting and the price is awesome!

bigG
June 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Geez, another post I missed initially!

Congrats, ts! Fender is turning out some nice, relatively inexpensive amps/combos of late. I, too, like the two-channel eq, but for apartment playing, a one channel combo does me fine. From previous posts, you know your way around electronics, so if there's a way to fix the brightness, you da man!

Nice reviews, ts! Enjoy! I bet it sounds great thru that cab! :beer:

TS808
June 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Geez, another post I missed initially!

Congrats, ts! Fender is turning out some nice, relatively inexpensive amps/combos of late. I, too, like the two-channel eq, but for apartment playing, a one channel combo does me fine. From previous posts, you know your way around electronics, so if there's a way to fix the brightness, you da man!

Nice reviews, ts! Enjoy! I bet it sounds great thru that cab! :beer:

I know zilch about electronics...just know how to turn them on and off :D

The Deluxe VM and Bandmaster VM are modeled pretty much after the Blackface tone...think Deluxe Reverb Reissue, thus, they are pretty bright amps after all. After reading more on different forums about these amps, they are more blackface than tweed voiced.

It's a cool amp and I have to get used to using the tone knobs on my strats; something I didn't have to do with my other amps.

I'm waiting to see if some mods come out for this amp, but from what I'm reading, these amps aren't selling well for Fender so far....seems people are really locked into the Hot Rod Series and Champs.