PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Winter and Jimi Hendrix

M29
May 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hello,
I am sorry if this has already been posted. I did a quick random search and did not find it. Sure wish there was some video with this one.

nqvBXqfOZiM&feature=related

msteeln
May 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
This sounds of better quality than the infamous Jimi/Johnny/Jim Morrison debacle. Wonder what the date / place is?

Funny thing with Jimi, in his element, be it HIS studio or HIS stage, he was King, but put him in a jam or such, and he wasn't quite The Man any more. I've heard plenty of examples where he rarely lights the fire like he did in his own private little circle, and in fact sounds unsure, hesitant, or out of place. Maybe it was his willingness to tone it down and fit in rather than blow everyone away.

Robert
May 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM
That sounds awesome. The boys musta had a good time together!

R_of_G
May 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Funny thing with Jimi, in his element, be it HIS studio or HIS stage, he was King, but put him in a jam or such, and he wasn't quite The Man any more. I've heard plenty of examples where he rarely lights the fire like he did in his own private little circle, and in fact sounds unsure, hesitant, or out of place. Maybe it was his willingness to tone it down and fit in rather than blow everyone away.

I have the jam sessions he did with the great modal jazz organist Larry Young. Jimi seemed perfectly suitable for that jam. It sounds nothing like any other Jimi and showed me a side of his playing which would have been very exciting to hear develop (especially given his budding friendship with Miles Davis). I also have the October 68 jam with Jack Bruce. Again, Jimi seems to hold his own just fine.

msteeln
May 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Yep, I've heard enuf of similar jams to relize he wasn't always a fish out of water, but just as often he wasn't the typical firebreather we usually attribute him as. Being respectful I'd imagine.