PDA

View Full Version : Un-naffing an affinity.

ibanezjunkie
May 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
heres my plan

Squier Affinity Tele + sandpaper + fender tele decal = doesnt look naff any more

affinity stock pickups + screwdriver and wirecutters + some new pups = doesnt sound naff anymore

good idea?

Blaze
May 22nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Why not , i m doin the same with my oldie Cheapo Telecaster..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11176

ibanezjunkie
May 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
im gonna get the affinity in a colour that i like, so changing the colour isnt high on my list of priorities.

ive decided to put my plans for a new gigging amp on hold, and put the tele first. ill be hushing back the pennies from this tuesday. buying a nano muff tomorrow because ive realised that even 5 watts cranked is too loud in my house, need some overdrive.

when the time comes, any recommendations for decent tele pups?

ill be writing down any responses, so i know what to look into.

birv2
May 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I own an Affinity Strat, and I'm all for flying that Squier decal loud and proud.

I love playing it at jams and then having people come up afterwards to inspect the headstock! I always get that, "Squier, huh?" comment. Sometimes followed by "wow".

It's fun playing cheap stuff and confounding the experts.

And truthfully, the Affinity is a good guitar, regardless of the name on the headstock. I'm not saying it's a custom shop strat, but it's a good guitar.

:dude:

Bob

markb
May 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Go to www.tdpri.com and search for "affinity". Lots of folks over there have made great guitars out of these cheapies. Several people here (me included) have happily used Squiers as working guitars. If you're really looking for cheap, go to www.strat-talk.com and look at what Rob di Stefano is doing with Bullet strats.

I warned you about the 5 watts, didn't I ;)

marnold
May 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I know a lot of people do it, but I'm not a big fan of changing logos. If somebody's going to get uptight about the logo on your guitar, cordially invite them to do something anatomically impossible.

ibanezjunkie
May 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Go to www.tdpri.com and search for "affinity". Lots of folks over there have made great guitars out of these cheapies. Several people here (me included) have happily used Squiers as working guitars. If you're really looking for cheap, go to www.strat-talk.com and look at what Rob di Stefano is doing with Bullet strats.

I warned you about the 5 watts, didn't I ;)

yeah you did warm meh, but its not cus its 'too loud' for everyone else, its because it hurts my ears...

:)

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I was able to buy a Fender Custom Shop Hot Texas Special tele bridge pup from a guy that I replaced the Texas Special with a GFS tele hot rails bridge pup. I tried to get the old pup for free because I did the job for free for the guy on his MIM super mint Fender tele; but he said because it was a Custom Shop Texas Special, hot 10.5kOhms on my digital multimeter, that he would need to get 35 dollars: I paid him that day and now it's in my Squire Std walnut stain tele and sounds very quiet when just the bridge pup on. Very hot, twangy and great pick response. A superior pickup for sure. I didn't change anything elxe out yet and I have a matching neck Tex Spcl pup coming for 40 dollars. I really like the feel and looks of this Squire std tele and the sound is incredible compared to the stock sound, needlesstosay.

The Fender Custom Shop Texas Special hot tele set is expensive at like 200 +/- from places like MF.

GFS 'lil puncher rails set is WAY less expensive and the guy I know loves his bridge puncher.

Hope this helps,

Duffy