PDA

View Full Version : Valve Senior?

ibanezjunkie
May 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
i was just wondering, does anyone gig with a 20 watt amp? because if i dont need the cash for extra watts why use it, the valve senior looks pretty good. does anyone have experience with them?

TS808
May 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
The Valve Senior release date has been delayed for unknown reasons for quite a while now. Although Sweetwater has the head and combo on its website for quite some time now, there is some sort of delay and they haven't made it to market yet.

18 watts is pretty loud for most gigs, and it can always be mic'd. With alot of 18 watters though, it's just a matter of whether you can get by with a single channel.

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 03:11 AM
i had a nose on the epiphone forum, and apparently it is due for release before mid-2010.

i emailed rondo music, and the manager wrote me back, and informed me that the valve seniors are on order, once theyre release they'll be stocked...

which is slightly annoying, since the valve senior seems to be a prety perfect amp for me at the moment.

birv2
May 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not a pro gigger, but I take my Pro Jr to blues jams weekly, and I rarely get it cranked past 4 (out of 12 -- these go to 12). The PJ is 15 watts.

Have you read the stuff on www.amptone.com (http://www.amptone.com)? The guy makes a good case for getting great warm overdrive from lower wattage amps (and by lower, he means 15 watts or lower). You really need to drive amps to get that warm tube overdrive, and if you've got a higher wattage amp, you can't get the volume that high in most places. He also believes that you can get plenty of volume from a 5-watt amp.

If I ever actually gig, I'm planning on taking the PJ and cranking it. If I need it louder (say, in Madison Square Garden;) ), I'll mic it.

I had a Valve Jr a while back. Wasn't that 5 watts? That could get plenty loud as I recall.