PDA

View Full Version : sick, sick, sick....

Childbride
May 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
i originally was going to write for a paper. journalism. i write, and i'm quasi-good at it.

half-way through my major, a story hit the san antonio paper that made me so sick, i quit my major. true story.

tonight, at ten pm, five minutes from now, here, another one is going to hit.

a local lawyer who is a friend of ours lost his 17 year old son in a single car accident. they've been showing previews, showing the car. it was horrible. the pictures are horrible. the whole thing is awful.

i'm sorry, that's not appropriate. this man lost his son.

i cry for him, i bleed for him.

i cannot fathom what he is feeling right now.

i'm not quite sure what i'm saying; people say that lawyers are sharks and prey on people.

i would say that journalists do not do people who are grieving any favors.

k

luvmyshiner
May 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I called the kids tonight, just to tell them that I love them. I can't imagine what Damon is going through, but my heart bleads for him.

Whoever you love, hold them close and tell them. You may not get another chance.

bigoldron
May 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
It's definitely a parent's nightmare. I, like all of you, worry about my kids and pray that we don't experience anything like this. I fully agree with CB and Shiner. Take the time to tell the ones you love, just that.

I also agree that most journalists are sleazebags who have NO respect for the families experiencing the loss. Anything to get a story my butt - a pox on that profession. :nono:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and his family.

Rx Tone
May 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Why switch majors because others in the field are careless?
If you're good you'll improve the standards since you're able to see the shortcomings and know how to fix 'em. There's always room for compassion and intelligence in journalism. Isn't that what your post was about?

I mean it's an emotional time and all but don't make decisions based on emotion.

There are crooked cops but what good would it do if all the good cops quit in disgust?

my.02

oldguy
May 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Shiner and CB, that's terrible news, my heart goes out to your friend and his family, and also to both of you.

The jounalist thing, to me, is like the lawyer thing. People generalize way too much. I think the majority are good people doing their job. The difference is the journalist does the story and the media decides whether to go public with it or not. Most often they go with it, because of ratings/sales/money. The reporter has little choice except do the story, or quit. Some can put a sympathetic spin on a tragedy, but they still have to do the story. But having a heart, showing compassion for someone who's hurting, and squashing a story to spare someone is rare for the media, and that's sad.

R_of_G
May 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Most importantly, my condolences to your friends and their family, and to you as well as I'm sure you're feeling this personally.

As for the journalism side of the question, I largely agree with what a few others have said. There are going to be people in pretty much every professional field that are ethical and there are going to be those that are not. It's a shame when the latter are the more noticeable, but in an ideal world the ethical professionals will always be there as well showing how things could be handled. I suppose it says a lot that the media feels this is what a specific audience "wants" and raises a lot of interesting questions about how much of a back-and-forth that dynamic is between media and society with shifting standards. I'm all for free speech, but I think that works with our economy as well. We don't have to buy what we don't like. If a critical mass decide we don't like what any particular media outlet is doing, we can send a clear message that it needs to change. Of course that's all hypothetical and as far as I can go with it here. :)

piebaldpython
May 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Shiner and CB......many condolences to your friends on their loss.

What happened to your friend's son may have been a newsworthy event....and if it's reported in a factual manner with no underlying "implications" as to a cause that might smear someone.....well, that's OK.

Now, if they give the accident the "Access Hollywood" treatment, well that's a different story and you can count me in on the posse that's angry as hell at the media.

My $.02.

just strum
May 23rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
CB and Shiner - my condolences regarding this tragic event.

As for the media, unfortunately it is part of our lives. We have a local station that is owned by FOX, they seem to practice sensationalism to its maximim level.

Remember, one thing the media has not taken control of - we can change the channel, turn off the TV or radio, or not purchase their magazine or newspaper.

Childbride
May 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
[...]

i was deeply disturbed and upset last night. i apologize.

generalizations are like stereotypes, and i'm better than that.

i was just upset that for the hour preceding 10 pm, they kept showing those awful pictures. and i kept seeing my friend in my mind's eye...

life is short. hold tightly to those you love.

bigG
May 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Unfortunately, due to the glut of 24 hour "news" channels, anything and everything becomes a story! No holds barred, and no regard for the story's importance or whom it may hurt. "News" channels have become "info-tainment" channels...with just a bit of necessary news thrown in the pot for "legitimacy". A pox on all of them!

Where's Walter Cronkite when you need him?! He wouldn't allow this crap! Alas, his kind has long ago disappeared from what used to be a quite noble profession...

Childbride
May 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
i got up early this morning, drove out of county,

was getting my stuff set up, logging on to my work computer

when who should walk in but our friend.

i said his name, in shock; we hugged briefly and i told him that Shiner and i were attending his only child's memorial tomorrow.

he tried to joke about why he was in court, and basically said he was trying to keep occupied right now.

i saw something in his face that still haunts me.

there is hurt bigger than words.

i vow tonight to spend every moment i can with my loved ones.

TS808
May 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss; I don't think there are any words that can comfort someone during a time of loss. My thoughts and prayers go to your friend and his son.

True story: 2 years ago I was driving to work and someone pulled out in front of me. I was able to stop in time, but the person behind me plowed into my car and pushed me into the car that pulled out in front of me (who also stopped in the middle of a highway for no reason after pulling out).

Anyway, just as I was calling my wife to tell her that I was in an accident (thankfully nobody was hurt), it was on the morning news. There I was standing on the side of the road on my cell phone calling my wife when the news caught it.

Now had I been injured, what would that have been like for my wife to see that?? I agree with you, sometimes "sleaze" takes precedence over ethics for some reason.

Despite that, I agree with some of the other posts on here. Pursue your dreams in journalism if that is your passion. There are other areas of journalism despite the evening news where you can make an impact. Just like many of us love to share our music with others, your writing is also worth sharing.

Again my thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the tragic accident.