PDA

View Full Version : Did the Big Gibson LP test on all models yesterday

Jimi75
May 23rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hey friends,

Yesterday was our families holy friday trip to Cologne. I had 2 hours of time in the biggest store in Germany and I was "on the hunt" for a Gibson Les Paul.

The guy in the shop reserved a cabine only for me (he "smelled" cash...) and he placed a Bluesbraker Combo in there, because I told him I'd play a JTM45 and I want to test under familiar conditions.

Test 1: Historic Colleciton - 1957 GT / 1958 Plain Top
Both models were in the warehouse and it would have taken until late afternoon to get them. So I had to play a 1956 GT (P90) and a Warren Haynes Sig (based on the 1958 Plain Top). Both guitars were able to give me a very good impression of what the desired equivalent would be and sound like. The GT was great sounding, it had a nice weight, the craftmanship was excellent. Also the P90 did a decent job. BUT my friends, the neck is a killer. It's a baseball bat. I didn't really recognize it the last time I played the GT. Towards the 12th fret it becomes fatter and fatter. There's no air between your hand and the neck, like for e.g. with a Strat. Sure this contributes to the sound but for people with smaller hands this could become an issue. The WH 1958 PT had a slightly smaller neck, but still a fat neck. The Burstbuckers sounded awesome, imagining these pus in the GT....HEAVENLY sustain. But the craftmanship on the Warren Haynes was horrible!!!! Sharp frets, not perfectly mounted tuners and that for almost 4K€! The guy apologized and offered a price reduction. The sound of the 1958 was perfect though, long sustain and transparency on all pu postitions.

Test 2: Gibson Les Paul Traditional GT
I thought I have found what I was looking for. My wife suggested to buy this guitar immediately...I was happy...the guitar felt great, looked great, played great. These guitars are not weight releaved and the necks are plekd. It plays so wonderful on all poistions, all octaves sound in tune, this pleking really is the best thing you can do. Everything perfect until I took a look at the neck binding. This binding was so fat that it reached deep into the fretboard area. It looked ugly and it didn't feel right! The shop guy said *uuppps* and he said that almost all traditionals have such a fat binding. I personally couldn't have lived with it. Other than that, the guitar sounded very good, a little weak in the bridge position, could have used some more bass. But as I said, could have been mine with another binding work.

Test 3: Les Paul Standard (GT was in the a.m. warehouse so I took an Iced Tea model for reference)
This guitar is a feather. It's so light that it scared me something was wrong. The guy said all new Gibbies are that light. Poor Gibson, poor decision. This guitar was dead, no bass at all, what is this weight releave good for? If you want to play a LP you should be able to carry it. You can not get the LP sound without the weight. This Standard was "Poor Standard".

Test 4: Les Paul Studio/Worn Cherry Studio
The Quality is below ZERO! I do not know which material they use for the neck but it looked horrible. The entire guitar was drowning in paint. It was much lighter than my JV Strat and it really didn't sound good. The worn Cherry wasn't good either.

Test 5: Epiphone LP Standard
It's amazing which quality Epi has achieved with its new line. If you are on a budget looking for a great sounding, looking and playing LP don't hesitate to check an Epi. Forget about all the copies out there on the market. This Epi was awesome! Sure there's a difference between the Epi and the Traditional for example, but it's so close...

The whole testing showed me that we all should stop buying stuff from online shops without having tested the guitar in person. Pictures can not give an impression, big names are no guarantee.

Regarding the Gibson Les Paul, to be honest, there is no alternative to the Historics. You won't believe the sound, but for that sound you have to become good friend with a basball bat neck. Tough decision, imagine having to play such a monster all the time....I don't know....and the 60's slim taper Historic cost 2K€ more...not my price range. Anyways, there is a HUGE difference between Historic and everything else. The Historic gives you an idea of what were the reasons why Les Pauls became so big. It's amazing how this guitar covers all styles, it's wonderful how one guitar can be gentle and smooth on the one hand and agressive on the other hand. It's terryfying how big the quality differences are among the Traditional - Standard and Studio. No guitar that really kicked within this range. Epiphone though....excellent...they really took the heritage of a Gibson LP and implemented some of the spirit into their guitars. Nowadays, it seems that the Traditional is best choice if you find one with a good neck binding, I would prefer it over a Standard at all time.

My search is still not over, I have an offer for a 1993 Standard that sounds great, but I feel it has to be a GT in some way, so I wait for the next delivery of Historics. Maybe I can get used to the neck, we'll see.

Jimi75
:AOK:

ZMAN
May 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Nice review Jimi. You are correct on several issues. The newer chambered lps are very light. The Traditional is weight relieved by using holes in the body. I am surprised that the traditional has such thick binding. A lot of people are looking at older Gibsons now because of the weight issues, (lightness) and the price of the historics. I think the one you are looking for is the 1960 reissue gold top. Most refer to them as the R0. It has the 60s neck and would be more to your liking.
I agree with you on the thick necks. The historics are just that. They are recreations of the orginal style guitars, and that is the way they were back then.
Keep looking and i am sure you will find one that fits like a glove. I found my 1997 Standard, and at the time I had a shoulder injury from ice hockey. When I started to play it I though I would never be able to play this guitar because of the weight. But when my injury healed I find it to be the sweetest sounding Gibby I own.
Good luck on your quest and we would like to hear your reviews on the next bunch you try out.

bigG
May 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Jimi, very good, thorough review! :bravo:

I learned some time ago that Epi's were the way to go. No Gibson (except an old, well cared for Gibson) is worth waht they charge these days for new ones. I couldn't be happier w my Epi LP Standard for $399 USD about 3 - 4 years ago.

Apparently Gibson STILL hasn't resolved their "quality" issues. Hope you find THE ONE you're looking for! After all the time and trouble you've put into it!

Happy hunting! :dude:

marnold
May 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
That was a very interesting read, Jimi. I agree with you about the testing part. If I were ever to get even a relatively expensive guitar, I'd have to try it first. The two things you mentioned--the weight and the baseball bat neck--are the two reasons I've never really gotten into Les Pauls, as awesome as they sound. Of course, all my heroes growing up played Super Strats too, so I'm sure that plays into it more than a little bit.

Rx Tone
May 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Good post.

Now go do it again in another store with the same selection and see what conclusions you reach.

Epiphone?...heh heh...ok...

red
May 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
The whole testing showed me that we all should stop buying stuff from online shops without having tested the guitar in person. Pictures can not give an impression, big names are no guarantee.
Indeed, I got badly burnt last year with a Gibson Les Paul Junior guitar that I've bought new online and paid top dollar for, and it turned out that the truss rod was improperly installed and ended up cracking the neck. That was the last time I'll buy a mass-produced guitar from ANY maker online, and probably the last time I'll buy a new/full-price guitar, period.

Regarding the Gibson Les Paul, to be honest, there is no alternative to the Historics. You won't believe the sound, but for that sound you have to become good friend with a basball bat neck.
I love that neck, actually. But then again I'm a very tall guy and my hands are more comfortable on a thick neck / wider fingerboard.
Anyway, for me the baseball bat neck is a big, big plus.

Geraint Jones
May 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the review Jimi , i used to play a mate`s LP Custom for quite a few gigs , i loved the sound out of it although the neck was a bit of an issue .A girl i work with has had one stored in the loft for the last 20 years and has given me first refusal on it , I don`t want to look at it just yet in case GAS kicks in and i must have it immediately .

ZMAN
June 3rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Now that you have had it for a few days I would like to hear your thoughts on the Traditional. I would like to see what you think of the 57s in her.