PDA

View Full Version : Finding my sound, and not expensive, either!

birv2
May 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Note -- I moved this content from another thread just to stimulate some new discussion.

Went to the jam last night and played my JV strat through my Pro Jr. I had a new pedal combination: Dano Fish and Chips EQ through an Arion Tubulator.

I set the EQ in a little smiley face, boosted the volume about 10db, set the amp on 4, and let her rip. Wow. It cut through like crazy, and when I wanted a solo, I stepped on the Arion, which I had set with the level very low, and the gain about half way. Awesome smooth, thick tones.

I also handed my guitar to another player and sat back and listened, which was a first for me. It sounded great! This was with only the EQ.

Had more compliments than ever on my playing and tone. And all with my low-end gear -- got the Tubulator for 11.99 and the F&C for about 25. The Pro Jr is Fender's low end of the Hot Rod series, and the JV strat is MIM. Of course, I have made some changes to most of these:

Tubulator has Indyguitarist Brent Mason mod
Pro Jr has Ragin Cajun speaker and JJ tubes
JV strat has Custom Shop 54 pickups.
F&C is stock

I've only been at this electric blues thing for a few years, but this is the first time I've thought, "this is the sound I've been hearing in my head"! I've gone the low-end route because I can't afford the boutique stuff, but it sounds like sonic nirvana to me.

Anybody else getting good to great tone on the low end?
:AOK:
Bob

Robert
May 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Cool, congrats! I think I should get me one of those Pro Jr amps, I really like them.

birv2
May 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Cool, congrats! I think I should get me one of those Pro Jr amps, I really like them.

I always get nice comments, and they are loud little suckers as well. I never have the volume above halfway.

BrettS
May 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I agree. The electronic components req'd for a big tone change are often for few bucks, or less. If you know where to put 'em, why not?

Katastrophe
May 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Congrats for finding items that work, instead of buying into the hype out there.

Labels don't matter. It's all about what makes your sound!

Brian Krashpad
May 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Listening to your guitar played by another can be quite the revelation. A couple years ago I let a friend in another act play my guitar, and it was really boss hearing it from the audience's point of view.

birv2
May 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Listening to your guitar played by another can be quite the revelation. A couple years ago I let a friend in another act play my guitar, and it was really boss hearing it from the audience's point of view.

So true! I was astonished at how nice it sounded, and it gave me more confidence the next time I played.

M29
May 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
birv twice,

I have a modded Arion Tubulator and I like it as well!

M29

birv2
May 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
birv twice,

I have a modded Arion Tubulator and I like it as well!

M29

Which mod?

I think in some ways it's the best pedal I've got.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM
strat (60thAnn,not too different from an unmodded JV) > used Bad Monkey>used C30 is the first inexpensive sound that I found and really dig. Other than the strat, all choices were a direct result of shopping here. I had already made up my mind on the strat.

Jimi75
May 26th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Here's one of my "cheaper" set ups that sound awesome:

JV Strat with Texas Special Pus
Fender Frontman 15
Ibanez TS9

I repeat myself, but there's no guitar out there for ME that beats my JV Strat. you can play it through whatever, it never loses its character, it feels perfect and I am familiar with every option it offers, let us say I could steer it blindfolded.

The Frontman 15 sounds great, loud and clear, very good definition.

Ibanez TS9 speaks for itself.

There's no need to spend a pile of dough to get a dream sound.

Kazz
May 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I am with SVL....my classic 30 and a used Bad Monkey is a really great tone. Sure it is not a a Marshall JTM and a Gibson Les Paul....but I have less in the entire combo including both electric guitars than what I would pay just for the $899 classic Mahogany Les Paul I GAS for.

BrettS
May 26th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Here's one of my "cheaper" set ups that sound awesome:

JV Strat with Texas Special Pus

I play a Tele, mostly. What is a "JV" Strat? Jimmy Vaughn?

Jimi75
May 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I play a Tele, mostly. What is a "JV" Strat? Jimmy Vaughn?

Jimmie Vaughan - körrekt!

Monkus
May 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Strange thing I came across the other day. I usually use a fender studio 112 or a Spider III 150 that I have, but my storage room is downstairs and its a pain to drag all the stuff upstairs on a weekend. Wanted to work out some licks so I pulled out a little fender that looks a lot like this one from zzounds:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594a1c0a7baa329.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1111) http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_96594a1c0c07a18e0.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1112)

I had gotten that from my uncle that passed a couple years ago but never used it.

I plugged my PRS (pic above) into it and had my Magicstomp and Echopark ready to stick into the chain but ... wow... awesomeness emanated from that little amp. Wrote two songs that day...without effects. Took it to the studio and they loved the sound as well. Just goes to show ya! Its now my main practice amp.

Spudman
May 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The Frontman 15 sounds great, loud and clear, very good definition.

These are really a good amph and a bargain. I was blown away when the shop plugged one into a Marshall 4x12. It sounded almost as good as the Mesa that I'd just unplugged from. I was amazed.