PDA

View Full Version : Best pedal power solution?

birv2
May 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I guess I'm finally getting to the point where I need a way to power my pedals other than 9V batteries. I've seen the One-Spot and others but have never used any of these.

Any suggestions? Low cost is better for me.

TIA,
Bob

Gil Janus
May 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I use the 1-Spot and it works fine for me. But I don't play out. I chose it for price and after seeing lots of folks on different boards saying that it works well.

Gil :cool:

Big K
May 24th, 2009, 09:19 AM
One Spot works well for me....

Blaze
May 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Voodoolab is the best in the west , expensive, but not for the pros cause there build like a thank..

1 spot is pretty good for the cost..

http://www.voodoolab.com/images/p_ppac_lg.jpg

sunvalleylaw
May 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
One spot works fine for me. I play out occasionally, and I have not had any problems. For some pedals, you must remember they require an independent power supply to not create noise. I am talking about pedals like loopers, some multi effects units, etc. But the One spot works great for most normal stompboxes. I have the initial unit, which has five spots, and a five spot extender, so after you account for taking up one spot with the extender, you can power 9 pedals with one device. I think you can get both the unit and the extender together for between $20 to 30 shipped online.

I am not saying it is the best or whatever, but it works for me just fine and is economical.

birv2
May 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I think you can get both the unit and the extender together for between $20 to 30 shipped online.

Has anyone seen it for this price range lately? Where?

rkwrenn
May 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I use this...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-DCBrick-MultiPower-Supply?sku=151091

Been gigging with it for a couple of years now.

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

hubberjub
May 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
For the money, you can't beat the One-Spot. I have two pedal boards. A SKB PS-45, which has the power supply built in, and I have a Pedaltrain Pro with a BBE Supa Charger (which is similar to the VooDoo Lab Pedal Power). The Supa Charger won't power a few of my pedals so I ended up running a One Spot along with the BBE. I felt a little ripped off after buying the Supa Charger.

bigG
May 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The 1-Spot for sure. Cheap and effective.

I have two - one in the bedroom and one in the living room, both w the 5-pedal extension cable. I'm covered for all pedals in either room.

The 1-Spot is pretty much "universal" as far as 9v inuts/outputs are concerned, but be forwarned, there are some pedals that require either an adaptor (no big deal) or their own power supply (pain in the arse).

Whatever you do, get off the batteries, man. I hate 'em and I hate buying them and I hate changing them...and I hate the battery companies who are getting rich off all this "portable" stuff! If I were to invest, I'd invest in battery companies. They're sure to be around forever and are certainly doing a booming bisiness in the midst of this economic downturn...

Rant finished...:D

pes_laul
May 24th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I use the 1 spot for when I play out and rehearse but If I'm in the studio I will use batteries so there isn't any ground noise

birv2
May 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks to all who replied! I just found and bought a 1-spot over on the Gear Page for $25 shipped. I should get it later this week.

luvmyshiner
May 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've got to echo Birv's thanks. CB has enough pedals now that I had been looking for a power solution. After seeing this thread I ordered the 1-Spot combo pack off amazon and got it yesterday.:bravo:

birv2
May 30th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Just got mine yesterday. What a treat to line my pedals up and plug them all in at once! Till now I've used 9V batteries, which means I've had to remember to unplug them all when not in use and constantly be plugging and unplugging when I wanted to switch them around.

Now they're all plugged in and in a neat row, so I can experiment with different combinations easily.

Awesome! Now on to making/buying some sort of pedal board....

Thanks again to all who posted their suggestions,
Bob

luvmyshiner
May 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I think unplugging them was the most frustrating part Birv. I can't tell you how many batteries we went through because "someone" would forget to pull all the cables out.:D

birv2
May 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think unplugging them was the most frustrating part Birv. I can't tell you how many batteries we went through because "someone" would forget to pull all the cables out.:D

Yup. Learned that the hard way. The cool thing about the 1spot is I can experiment with all the different combos without constantly redoing everything.

This is way better.

ibanezjunkie
May 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
jim dunlop DC brick, harley benton powerplant, T-rex fuel tank.

Blaze
June 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM
On sale: Small pedalbaoard with G-BUS-8 Power Supply Included for $109.00

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GPT-Powered-Pedalboard-with-Carry-Bag?sku=546157