PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Fender Strat

Tiremanws
May 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm asking anyone where I might look to replace the neck pick up on my 1971 Strat. I changed it 30 plus years ago when I was a stupid kid and would like to return it to original specs. I have looked at the reissue ones from Fender but I only need one neck pick up. I replaced it with a Fender humbucker back in the 70's. Another thing would be the trust factor since I couldn't tell an original from a fake one. That's why Ebay doesn't interest me for this need. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Walt

mrmudcat
May 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Ebay is where you will find it.

There are more honest traders than scammers on ebay.Look for a long time seller with great feedback.70'S pups have grey bottoms. Ill check into some sources I personally have,but to optimize your hunt I would like to know what the other two pups read.Do you have a meter?:poke:

I would settle on a modern replacement in the same within the same ohmage.

Hopefully you know if you do locate a pup it is going to be costly;) The plastic covers are in the $150=$250 range(for a set):thwap:

Tiremanws
May 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
One friend of mine said that there are alot of excellent people out there that can duplicate the original. I maybe thinking that way because of the cost. The guitar is important to me because I delivered news papers for a 2 years to get it but to others it's just another Fender Strat. I even bought a plastic cover to protect the back from belt scratches. I never thought I'd still have this 38 years later. I only wish I could figure out a way to send a picture of it to you on the your forum. Thanks for your input. Walt.

marnold
May 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
One friend of mine said that there are alot of excellent people out there that can duplicate the original. I maybe thinking that way because of the cost. The guitar is important to me because I delivered news papers for a 2 years to get it but to others it's just another Fender Strat. I even bought a plastic cover to protect the back from belt scratches. I never thought I'd still have this 38 years later.
I think that's an awesome story. It's not just any Strat. It's YOURS.

majwild1
May 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I would give lindy fralin a call, I've looked at my charts and they should be flat pole non staggered alnico 5 mags, 5.88 ohms, they used .0027 plain enamel wire should be about 7600 to 7650 turns, they were machine wound. lindy can custom wind one up for you. they also used the old grey bottom flatwork, now the only thing you have to consider that an old pup compared to a new one is the mag strength after 38 years the mags loose power and thus more string vibration so that is another variable in tone, but there are several other winders out there, I just like lindy he's never let me down.