PDA

View Full Version : star trek vs star wars

Childbride
May 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM
[i'm so getting in trouble for this... ;) ]

so....

what is your favorite? star trek or star wars, and which movie is the best in your opinion?

me, the first star wars. '77. hands down. [it's on tv right now which inspired this post] Shiner and the byproxy say the second [the empire strikes back], but i hate the second.

out of star trek, i would say the wrath of khan and the new one, but

star wars beats star trek, IMHO.

OTS: i was searching the threads to see if this had been done before...

Tot... the Point and Edward Scissorhands are awesome. :D

mrmudcat
May 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Star wars for sure!!!:master:

R_of_G
May 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Trek by a mile, though I don't like the Trek movies. I liked Star Wars when I was a kid but they didn't hold up to the test of time for me and I personally thought the more recent films were terrible. At this point, I still like Empire, but that's about it. With Trek, I love the original series still and TNG still. The rest I can do without. Also, the cast of the original Trek did a great job guesting on an episode of Futurama. They were hilarious.

Robert
May 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Star Wars!

I like all them movies. :AOK:

marnold
May 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Star Wars in a landslide. Lightsabers and X-Wings for teh win!

Childbride
May 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM
i respect Roddenberry's expansion of his vision, and Heaven knows i've learned a great deal of alien physiology and history... ;)

but star wars just touched the dreamer in me.

marnold
May 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Where else but the Star Wars movies would you get classic lines like "You tell that piece of worm-ridden filth he'll get no such pleasure from us! Right?"

sunvalleylaw
May 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hmm, to me they are far different animals, so very hard to choose one. One (Trek) started in film on the small screen and as I first knew it, was more of a sci fi serial, one was part of a big screen epic. I enjoyed this new Star Trek film and have renewed respect for Rodenberry's vision. His optimism, and Kirk's decision to refuse to accept a no win scenario is a good message about now. OTOH, I was in 8th grade when I saw this sci fi film that no one knew about yet, and by the time I got my parents to take the family, the thing was huge. Luke staring out at the double moons across the desert connected with the middle school version of me big time.

So, different creatures, I really do not feel it is fair to choose. That said, the original Star Wars movie especially hit a chord with me.

just strum
May 25th, 2009, 04:40 AM
The Jerk or One Flew Over..., but if I had to watch one of those space movies, it would be Star Wars.

street music
May 25th, 2009, 05:35 AM
The First Star Wars movie by far.

tot_Ou_tard
May 25th, 2009, 05:48 AM
The first Star Wars wins for the same sentimental reasons that Sun mentioned. I think we are the same age--48.

There's this

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/myth.html

Maybe someone could add a third column for the new Star Trek film, which I've yet to see.

CB: we could also add one for The Point and for Edward Scissorhands.

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The first Star Wars wins for the same sentimental reasons that Sun mentioned. I think we are the same age--48.

Close. I am 46 and will be 47 in October. The first Star Wars was released in May, 1977, as I prepared to "graduate" from Catholic grade/middle school. I was 14 at the time. I and a friend took a Tacoma City bus from his house downtown to the old Pantages theatre for a mid week matinee. The movie was just out, and we were two of maybe 10 or 20 people in the theatre, if that many. A week later or so on a Friday night, my Dad took the family to see it. Then, we could not sit together as a family because the theatre was so full.

Star Trek was more a sat/sun night re-run thing. I think for a while it was on both nights on a local channel around 6 or so. I saw most episodes at least a coupla times I am sure.

luvmyshiner
May 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I know this will surprise y'all:whatever: but I'm a huge Trekkie (and yes, that's "Trekkie", not the pretentious "Trekker" used by those who are too cool to acknowledge their roots).

And I like all the Trek TV shows. Although I was disappointed in the way they ended the "Deep Space Nine" series. It was almost like they decided they needed to end it and couldn't really come up with a good way to wrap up all the loose ends.

Ok, I'm probably just embarrassing myself now.:cry:

sumitomo
May 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Star Trek,but I'll just take 7 and be berry berry happy oops the wife is in the room gotta go.Sumi:D

vroomery
May 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thought this was relevant to the conversation.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

just strum
May 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Ok, I'm probably just embarrassing myself now.:cry:

Embarrassing yourself, yes - and scaring me.

luvmyshiner
May 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Thought this was relevant to the conversation.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Childbride
May 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Star Trek,but I'll just take 7 and be berry berry happy oops the wife is in the room gotta go.Sumi:D

the son-by-proxy always had the hots for 7 of 9.

something about those cortical implants. :)

just strum
May 25th, 2009, 12:25 PM
This is the part where I no longer understand the conversation.

I like cheese.

Childbride
May 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
This is the part where I no longer understand the conversation.

I like cheese.

http://gandt.blogs.brynmawr.edu/files/2009/02/seven-of-nine.jpg

just strum
May 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM
http://gandt.blogs.brynmawr.edu/files/2009/02/seven-of-nine.jpg

Nice, except that growth on her face.

Jimi75
May 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Star Wars, at least the old ones. The Episodes where sellout!

luvmyshiner
May 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Embarrassing yourself, yes - and scaring me.

If that scares you Strummy, this is going to make you pee yourself. I've got . . . THE T-SHIRT!!!!!!

(AND a phaser)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P5250001.jpg

You can tell it's a phaser cause it says so.:D

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P5250002.jpg

Actually the phaser belongs to CB, but I'll let her tell that story . . . if she has the guts.:rotflmao:

Robert
May 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Whoa, Shiner, it's set to Kill! She musta been upset last time she used it?

I can tell it is not a Keeley-modded Phaser. :whatever:

Bloozcat
May 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Star Trek without a doubt. The original, the prototype, and still going strong through 5 incarnations over 43 years and now beginning it's sixth. That is unprecedented staying power for any genre.

I do like Star Wars because it's space sci-fi. But, I grew up on Star Trek, it's in the green blood.

Live long and prosper...;)

tunghaichuan
May 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Nice, except that growth on her face.

In the storyline of Voyager, Seven-of-Nine was rescued by the crew from the Borg. This is what she looked like before the rescue:

http://www.sevenofnineb.org/gallery/pic.html?borg/borg3.jpg

Much better after:

http://www.sevenofnineb.org/gallery/pic.html?silver/silver1.jpg

:AOK:

piebaldpython
May 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Shiner.........re you "home-made" Phaser......one can certainly tell it isn't a DVM build paint/decal job........Sheesh

Star WArs over Trek until this last ST-9 movie which just ROCKS better than all other SW/ST films combined. It ain't even close.

ST was sci-fi........SW more fantasy/supernatural and so to me.......more analagous to Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon..........humans with surreal abilities.

Tung could probably weigh in too on this.......Luke's use of the FORCE is akin to the legendary martial artists being able to do incredible feats of power/ability.

tunghaichuan
May 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Star WArs over Trek until this last ST-9 movie which just ROCKS better than all other SW/ST films combined. It ain't even close.

ST was sci-fi........SW more fantasy/supernatural and so to me.......more analagous to Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon..........humans with surreal abilities.

Tung could probably weigh in too on this.......Luke's use of the FORCE is akin to the legendary martial artists being able to do incredible feats of power/ability.

I haven't seen the new ST movie yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I agree with your assessment: ST is more hard core science fiction; SW is more fantasy which just happens to be set in a more technological advanced universe than ours.

I remember looking at a book in the library one time which compared SW to Aurthurian Legend, namely the lightsaber as a stand-in for Excaliber, both of which are magical weapons. The lightsaber could also be compared to Mjollnir (Thor's hammer) as both are magical weapons, both have attained mythical status, and both require supernatural powers to wield.

Lucas based a lot of SW on asian culture: in the original SW films, the lightsaber combat was more samurai based. Also, Darth Vader's mask was based on samurai masks.

The concept of the Force is similar to chi/ki in Asian culture. Many asian martial arts put a premium on training/cultivating chi/ki, especially those that developed in China. Many Chinese kung fu masters claimed extraordinary powers due to their chi training.

There is also the sifu/sensei/guru concept explored with the jedi master/padawan relationship: Quai Gonn/Obi-wan, Obi-wan/Anakin, Darth Sidious/Darth Vader, Yoda/Luke.

To me, ST is more straight ahead science fiction. Human beings have mastered technology over arcane arts. Weapons aren't mythical, they are the logical result of the harnessing of technology. In the ST universe, learning is of the scientific variety.

Having said that:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/12/633488359870176648-lightsaber.jpg

:D

tung

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah you guys, that was part of what I was trying to say. Two different animals. Star Trek fits in more with my reading of Ray Bradbury and other SciFi Stuff. Esp. Martian Chronicles. Man using science to explore the universe. Very 50's and 60's.

SW is much more a mythic quest (ala Arthur and the Round Table, Beowulf, the samurai tale it was taken from, LOTR, etc.), set in a future universe.

So that is why I don't want to choose. One is sci fi, one is mythic quest.

Algonquin
May 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
So that is why I don't want to choose. One is sci fi, one is mythic quest.
Plus that one is set in the future, and the other is set in the past... I think I'm ok with both!

tot_Ou_tard
May 26th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Plus that one is set in the future, and the other is set in the past. A point that is often forgotten.

Bloozcat
May 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
A lot of good points made here...

I suppose that Star Trek has always appealed to me so much because it was a plausible vision of the future...our future.

Growing up in the 60's during the beginning of manned space exploration was an exiting time. The possibilities seemed endless, our future exploring space inevitable. That was a time when we believed that we could do anything that we set our minds to. Why not warp capable starships? Why not visiting distant star systems? Man had been earthbound for his entire existence and all of a sudden he was in space. It wasn't like reading old Tom Swift or Jules Verne books where space flight was a "someday" dream with the technology nowhere in sight. The dream was unfolding before our eyes. While Star Trek was capturing our imagination on TV, Americans were landing on the moon for real.

As kids growing up in that environment I think we believed that we'd all be in space during our lifetimes. Star Trek just made us believe it all the more...

I quess that's why Issac Asimov was my favorite sci-fi author. You were never quite sure where reality ended and theory and conjecture began with him. He was a master at blending science with science fiction.

George Lucas has more in common with J.R.R. Tolkien than he does with Issac Asimov. Star Wars is more akin to Lord of the Rings as fantasy than The Foundation Series as sci-fi. Still, both are good, both fun to watch. They just stimulate different areas of the brain.