PDA

View Full Version : Tortoise Shell?

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I dunno...I'm thinking of doing this to my Strat. What do you guys think.....

Cranium
August 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Does it also have rosewood board? If it does then I think you should.

warren0728
August 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
would look great...hopefully you mean just replacing the pickguard and not the "relicing" part.

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Does it also have rosewood board? If it does then I think you should.

Yeah its the guitar in my Avatar that I want to mod. Rosewood neck. I think tortoise shell would look good with the rosewood neck too.

I've been leaving the MIM out of it's case (which now became the case for my Muddy Waters Tele.) I'm hoping that the Strat will get banged up and scuffed here and there. :)

kerc
August 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'd do it. Here's my '98 Hamer Slammer. It used to have a pearloid 'guard, I put in the tortoishell and it looks perfect now.

BTW, the "relicing" on this thing is 100% real...It has led a hard life and a couple of falls...And it does have a pretty thin finish.

http://www.insolpr.com/slammer/DSC01208.jpg

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I'd do it. Here's my '98 Hamer Slammer. It used to have a pearloid 'guard, I put in the tortoishell and it looks perfect now.

BTW, the "relicing" on this thing is 100% real...It has led a hard life and a couple of falls...And it does have a pretty thin finish.

http://www.insolpr.com/slammer/DSC01208.jpg

I was going to comment on your guitar earlier, glad you posted that pic here cause I think that guitar looks wicked. I'm kinda tired of seeing a white pickguard so for lunch today I'm hoping to find a tortoise shell pg at one of the shops here in town.

kerc
August 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Tone! :D

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Tone! :D

You bet. Vince Gill can be seen playing a black Strat with the tortoise shell pickguard on the Crossroads DVD and with black EMG pickups in there it looks wayyy killer. Black pup covers on yours would be even more wicked!

kerc
August 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
You bet. Vince Gill can be seen playing a black Strat with the tortoise shell pickguard on the Crossroads DVD and with black EMG pickups in there it looks wayyy killer. Black pup covers on yours would be even more wicked!

I have a set of black pup covers around...Hmmm...:cool: I should check into that on the next string change.

:D

Katastrophe
August 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Yes to the TS, Tone! That's a classic look with the 'burst finish, rosewood board and white pup covers. With that thick poly coating that Fender puts on Strats nowadays, will it naturally relic on it's own?

kerc
August 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Yes to the TS, Tone! That's a classic look with the 'burst finish, rosewood board and white pup covers. With that thick poly coating that Fender puts on Strats nowadays, will it naturally relic on it's own?

Poly doesn't relic, unless you hit it hard against something, and then it pops and cracks in big chunks. It does yellow somewhat with age and exposure to the environment.

My Hamer seems to have a pretty thin poly coat, 'cos it's even sinking into the wood. Look at this:

http://cyberjammin.com/uploads/Images/DSC01243.jpg

But it doesn't do the "fade"...

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I picked up a tort guard for lunch. It's sweet too. It's swirly...different than the speckled tort. I can't wait to put it on tonight. I'll post pics tomorrow.

The finish won't come off no but the dents and scuffs will show through. It's got a few dents here and there. I should put the body outside for a few years or something and see what happens. heh

kerc
August 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Cool, bro. I'm eager to see the pics! We should start a Tortoishell Club here. :D

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Cool, bro. I'm eager to see the pics! We should start a Tortoishell Club here. :D

Great idea I'm in!!!

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2006, 02:11 AM
tone, you are not going to do the burning strat trick as well? :)

warren0728
August 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM
i wonder how close my peavey fat strat knockoff pickguard is to a true strat pickguard. I would love to replace the white one on my black gutar with Tortoishell.

ww

kerc
August 8th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Warren, they usually fit, the screwholes might not align perfectly, though....I just drilled new holes on mine where they didn't match!

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM
tone, you are not going to do the burning strat trick as well? :)

LMAO...I just might! ;) Pictures are forthcoming....let me just answer this post and I'll do some Photoshopping here in a minute...

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Here's the new tortoise shell pickguard on my Strat.

I got this one for the swirl it had. It looks like a totally different guitar and I'm pleased with the results. The camera flash makes them look white but the cream pickup covers and knobs and switch really stand out against the color.

I'd been thinking of doing this for awhile but never got around to it so when I saw Warren's oldschool guitar pic and Kerc's guitar I got inspired again for some retro. :)

kerc
August 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I'll bill you for a new keyboard for my computer--I just drooled all over it!

:D

It looks fantastic! The swirly "tortoise shell" looks great, and unusual. Very classic, although I've always found tortoise shell Strats to be kinda "classic rebels", because of their funky looks.

Congrats, bro. :)

warren0728
August 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM
looks good....might have to get one

kerc
August 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM
looks good....might have to get one

Man, I thought you were already coming back from the music store with pickguard in hand!

Slacker. ;) :D

warren0728
August 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM
i'll get there....don't worry!! The tortoise shell does look good :DR

kerc
August 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM
What color is your strat, Warren?

warren0728
August 8th, 2006, 09:18 AM
it's black...actually an early 90's peavey fat strat knockoff (SSH)...

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Warren get a Tort and be in our club. You can always shave some guard around the holes if you have to to make it fit and put some new holes in the guitar for the new guard like Kerc said. Who knows maybe you might not have to make any modifications to your new tortoise shell guard.

Tinky-Winky
August 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
What a fine guitar. I love the chocolatey overtones from the pickguard, sunburst and fretboard.

Tone2TheBone
August 8th, 2006, 10:44 AM
TW - hey I never thought of it like that. Chocolatey. I like!

Tinky-Winky
August 8th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well, I must say, food is one of my passions.

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
LMAO...I just might! ;) Pictures are forthcoming....let me just answer this post and I'll do some Photoshopping here in a minute...

looking forward to it... torch it :)

TS808
August 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I put a white pearl guard on my 3-tone sunburst strat, and my olympic white strat. Looks pretty cool with the maple fretboard. I had the bronze moto pickguard on my 'burst strat for awhile, and thought that looked really cool too.

The pearl white pickguard sold by Stewart McDonald aren't as bright as the Fenders or WDs, so I think they look pretty cool. Very affordable too. Check out www.stewmac.com. The only think about Stew Macs pickguards are that you have to file the holes a little bit for American strats (I used a Dremel). The holes are for the smaller import pots.

duhvoodooman
August 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Hey, Tone! Somehow I missed the post with the pix of the new pickguard. Looks super! I don't care for the tortoise shell with many colors, but it looks great with the 'burst. Nice visual upgrade!

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hey, Tone! Somehow I missed the post with the pix of the new pickguard. Looks super! I don't care for the tortoise shell with many colors, but it looks great with the 'burst. Nice visual upgrade!

Thanks DVM. Thanks everybody for the comments. :DR

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah ..looks great with burst or oly too .