PDA

View Full Version : Godin Radiator

tot_Ou_tard
May 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I have one cool, funky guitars.

Here are some new youtube clips I found.

7f73G4MZOAc

KgSicpxZw6M

SuperSwede
May 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Had one but sold it, really nice guitar but it wasnt "for me"..

Here is a nice Radiator clip from a fellow swede:

gqHOvX1o0DY

Brian Krashpad
May 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I think it's the kind of funky guitar I would like.

The blend pot is pretty cool, theoretically speaking.

tot_Ou_tard
May 26th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I think it's the kind of funky guitar I would like.

The blend pot is pretty cool, theoretically speaking. It might, but as Swede said he bought one & it wasn't for him.

It doesn't really have a blend pot per se, but rather two volume knobs. One for each pup. There is no selector switch which might drive you up the wall. The game is to play the volume knobs not just for the usual clean/dirty but for the relative amounts of twang/air.

It's a hard axe to explain. The pups are single coils so even though the neck pup picks up all that chambering for some great airy hollowbody vibe, it still has clarity. The bridge is serious twang central although the twang is some kind of tele/gretch/ric/dano hybrid of its own. There is a slight lo-fi clang about which I like even though you can get it to sound very clear and acoustic-like.

Double-stops, or slid chords with a little gain often sound like a trumpet or a train to me.

It has a surprising amount of low-end resonance at the neck, given the brightness of the bridge. That works very well for me, but the bass'll break down into the rumbles under higher gain if you don't roll the bass off.

It's a roots guitar if it is anything.

It was my first guitar-I paid $150 on eBaY--& the one that I have played the most. I like not having started on one of the icons, I never am trying to compare the tone I'm getting to some platonic ideal. I am just trying to listen to what this guitar wants to say.

SuperSwede
May 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
The dual volume controls is a cool feature but its not very practical if you quickly want to change pickup.

tot_Ou_tard
May 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The dual volume controls is a cool feature but its not very practical if you quickly want to change pickup. Yup. To go from full-on neck with no bridge to the converse you need to roll two pots through their complete revolutions.

If you have a basic sound for a song & want to subtly change the balance for a solo, then you can do it. Hard quick changes are impossible.

I just realized that all three clips in this thread have a hefty dose of the neck pup--which is my favorite. I haven't found any clips doing any alt-country with a lot of the bridge dialed in. It can certainly do that too.

SuperSwede
May 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I just realized that all three clips in this thread have a hefty dose of the neck pup--which is my favorite. I haven't found any clips doing any alt-country with a lot of the bridge dialed in. It can certainly do that too.

It is definately a good sounding guitar, but the jangle you get from the bridge pickup was too much rickenbacker and too little tele/strat for my taste.

The neck pickup sounds really sweet tho.

tot_Ou_tard
May 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM
It is definately a good sounding guitar, but the jangle you get from the bridge pickup was too much rickenbacker and too little tele/strat for my taste.

Yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

More twangle than twang or jangle.

Were you looking for balls to the wall tele rock tone?

bek
May 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Surely there's all kinds of room under there for a 5-way Superswitch? That's probably all it would need. Always thought those looked very cool, but then, I have a couple Linderts.

tot_Ou_tard
May 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Surely there's all kinds of room under there for a 5-way Superswitch? That's probably all it would need. Always thought those looked very cool, but then, I have a couple Linderts.
Sure, it'd just take a little toilet seat surgery.

Why 5-way? There are only two single coils? It looks like a 3-way selector is all that's needed.

SuperSwede
May 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

More twangle than twang or jangle.

Were you looking for balls to the wall tele rock tone?

Not sure really, I tend to quickly get tired of my gear.
I love gear shopping, what can I say :o

tot_Ou_tard
May 27th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Not sure really, I tend to quickly get tired of my gear.
I love gear shopping, what can I say :o
Yes you have that disease. ;)

I could see why the bridge might be a little thin sounding for some.

bek
May 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Sure, it'd just take a little toilet seat surgery.

Why 5-way? There are only two single coils? It looks like a 3-way selector is all that's needed.

A 4-way would give you in-series, as well as the usual in-parallel. This is such a common thing Fender makes one for Teles. In-series is discernably fatter-sounding than in-parallel, although the actual effect varies by the pickups involved. A 5-way also gives in-series and out-of phase, which is fabulous when using it in a two-humbucker guitar; not so good with single-coils, unless you like a lot of gain.

tot_Ou_tard
May 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM
A 4-way would give you in-series, as well as the usual in-parallel. This is such a common thing Fender makes one for Teles. In-series is discernably fatter-sounding than in-parallel, although the actual effect varies by the pickups involved.
Ahhhh, I understand. Sounds very cool.

Someday when I get the nerve, I'll give it a go.