PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Miles Davis

R_of_G
May 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Today is the birth date of Miles Davis.

As many of you know, Miles is my single favorite musician of all time. Nobody has had a greater influence on the way I listen to, play or even think about music. His entire body of work means so much to me, especially taken in context documenting the changes Miles constantly strove to make in his music.

In addition to the many legendary sidemen who played with Miles on other instruments, Miles employed some of the greatest guitar players who've ever picked up the instrument (Sonny Sharrock, John McLaughlin, Pete Cosey, John Scofield, Mike Stern, etc.) If there was one thing Miles excelled at, it was putting together a group for a session and getting exactly what he wanted out of each and every one of them.

Today should be a national holiday here because Miles was a real national treasure and something this country should be fiercely proud of (even if a lot of people didn't quite get it when he was still alive).

Anyway, Happy Miles Day. I won't be listening to anything else but Miles today (prob not all week either).

Here's a little something from his second great 1960's acoustic quintet...

bkUULYE-LAA

Jimi75
May 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Happy B-day Miles.
Man this guy has always been a moody fu**, but a musician extraordinaire.

Robert
May 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
That is another great Wayne Shorter tune. I'm HUGE Miles fan too.

Happy Birthday, where ever you are, Miles!