PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Gm110 V-tone Amp

piebaldpython
May 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I tried out my new Behringer GM110 V-Tone 30W amp last nite. I bought this ($100 thru audioallies.com) based primarily on the recommendation of DUFF. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GM110.aspx
The GM110 is a clone of the fabulous Tech 21 Trademark amps with their SANSAMP technology. I'd love to hear a Trademark amp because the V-Tone ROCKS.
What a SUPER sounding amp this is. Oh baby.
It's analog, has direct out, headphones, effects "send" and "return" portals. Master volume, drive, low, mid, high, 3 speaker simulations (flat, US 2 x 12, UK 4 X 12), 3 amp modes (clean, hi-gain and hot) and 3 models (tweed, Brit and California).
One you turn this amp on it is dead quiet and when you start to play, the sound is excellent coming out of the 10" Bugera speaker. No hiss, no rattles, just the notes you are playing.
It takes a bit to dial in tones as the various sounds are a function of volume, drive, amp model and amp mode. Once you do that, you are set. This is a very responsive amp to pick attack and such sundries. I was pleasantly surprised how well it sounded.
I played my Washburn HB-32 through it. I got all types of wonderful bluesy sounds going through all amp models (tweed, Brit and Calif). Chords were clear, solo notes were crisp; nothing muddied about the sound at all.
I'm going to mess around with it some more tonite and then try out a pedal tomorrow nite. These amps supposedly love pedals. I wouldn't be surprised.
For those of you who have these type amps (SANSAMP tech), I was enjoying the following sounds:
Tweed clean, Tweed hi-gain, Brit clean and Calif clean

As I play more, I'll report back with additional thoughts. All of the above is based on 90 minutes of playing last nite. I am NEW to the DARKSIDE and I must say, this is fun.
Oh yeah, my wife commented on the "different and nice sounds" coming out of the amp while I was noodling around. This this is plenty loud too. :D

Mr Grumpy
May 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I love mine as well. Its my 2nd, had one a while ago but sold it for a Vox AD30. Got GAS for one last year and got one of the first model 'silverface' ones for £50 on ebay. Its a great, great amp. Tweed/Clean/US floats my boat with a my Dano blue paisley od and black paisley metal pedals, and the dan echo and chorus really work in the FX loop. Never tried it via xlr or into a cab. I love it and recommend anyone who gets a chance to get one, fancy a holy grail reverb pedal for it now. They seem to be getting scarcer now, maybe people are catching on to the poor mans tech 21.....

birv2
May 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I had the Vampire 112 Behringer amp. So many sounds!

I sold it when I realized that there was really only one sound I was looking for, and I would get it with a tube amp. But it's a great amp for experimenting.

bigG
May 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Elitists tend to dump on Behringer, but some of their stuff is quite good.

When I first decided to get back into playing seriously abt 4 years ago, the first amp I bought was a Behringer GMX212 (I think it was??). One heck of a great modeling amp for $259!

As I recall, I traded it for either my Vox AC15 or AD50VT, not because I didn't like the Behringer, but because I've been a Vox guy since the 60s. I returned to the shop where I traded it for the Vox, and it had sold within 4 days! Somebody got a hell of a good deal on that amp for $189!

wingsdad
May 28th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Indeed, gearsnobs offhandedly put down Behringer stuff, but they've got an amazing array of reverse-engineered clones in their line that fill a budget-concious market niche quite well.

About 7-8 years ago, jonesing for a Tech21 Trademark 15 or T30 but unable to cope with the T30's $250 or so price tag at the time, I got the early model of this amp from American Musical Supply for $99. At that time, it was called the 'Vintager GM110' and had a more retro look and a 10" Jensen fed by 30 watts. I can't find any pics of it, but here's a couple I snagged off a recent e-bay auction:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/6028_1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/7617_12.jpg

Just as you've pointed out, pie-b, it was/is a boldly reverse-engineered clone of the T30, with the SansAmp's analog modeling 3-switch matrix of amp/cab/character, but with with one critical difference: it lacked reverb while the T30 sports an Accutronics spring 'verb tank. I filled that void using an old (early 80's) Unicord Stage DE-1 Analog Delay unit (still have it), but ultimately, I soon traded the GM110 toward a little Peavey Transtube.

Then Behringer updated the GM110 to what you now have, and added models with built-in FX.

I finally handled my Tech21 jones when I found my used Trademark 60, a very different 2-channel amp than the T30 or now disco'd T15.

duhvoodooman
May 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for posting your impressions of this amp, Pie. Sounds like an excellent value and a very flexible unit. I haven't owned any Behringer amps, but I've had several of their stompboxes and have been generally favorably impressed, especially in view of the pittance they charge for them.

Speaking of effects, gotten any new ones of those you'll be telling us about? :poke: ;)

piebaldpython
May 28th, 2009, 09:17 AM
FWIW, this amp is built like a tank.

Wings......I don't think they ddi much updating between your Vintager and my V-Tone. Mine is the NO frills amp, no reverb, no F/X on-board. I think Shiner has/had the V-Tone GM110 with all the bells and whistles.

DVM.....I'm still feeling my way around with the new git and amp....BUT....I am really looking forward to test driving the new MOS Y MAS OD2 pedal that I have. That will definitely happen in the next few days. As the pedal is a virtual smorgasbord of sounds, I want to have an idea of the stock-amp sounds before I go flying off into the universe. :D

Mr Grumpy
May 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
That pic is the exact same amp I have - the early no frills silver one. they also did one of the exact same spec but black grill/chassis, then the GMX110 with all the bells and whistles. The no frills ones were the best, the silver one looks the coolest. And it likes my dano pedals, even in my ham fisted hands :thwap:

markb
May 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Well, that's definitely a TM30 clone you've shown there, Wings. No reverb though, hmm. Maybe a spring tank would have pushed the price too high.

wingsdad
May 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The chicken head knobs, xlr DI w/ ground lift, fx loop...they really went at the T30, mark.. No spring tank kept the lawsuits at bay, but they quickly changed the look to the current one consistent with the rest of the GM series and ditched the chicken heads and top-mounted control panel. I can't recall a Behringer amp with a spring tank. The GMX110 (which I did recommend to shiner a coupla years back) added the same 99 preset digital fx engine they had/have in amps, mixers...

luvmyshiner
May 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Yup, based on Wingsdad's recommendation my first amp was the GMX110. I cut my teeth on that amp and loved it. I finally sold it to a coworker of CB's a few months back to raise the money for my Blackheart.

ibanezjunkie
May 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
my school bought a consignment of these from a gear wholesaler, unfortunately some ungrateful yobbo broke the lot within a month of them arriving.

no wonder my school is so out-of-pocket all the time.

Duff49
August 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Just recently had mine stolen along with my Fender Hwy one fat strat and brand new Gibson SG faded.

Know who did it and threw him out 0f my house and got a protection order against him: my nephew, to use the term without value. He assaulted me on the way out and I pressed charges on him so he has is hands full with legal issues right now. Can't prove he stole the stuff. Also sliced three tires on my Dodge hemi pickup in four days but can't prove that either. Probably used my exacto knife that I can't find.

I am going to hammer him as much as I can, including having him pay substantial medical bills. I recently had surgery and his blow with my fence gate was to the abdomen right on the latest surgical staple line, black and blue, etc,. Pain, etc.

I will probably get a new one.

Sad that I have to tell you all about this unfortunate event. Luckily I have quite a collection of other great guitars and amps; but I'm worried about further burgulary. All new locks but burgulars have a way of getting in.

When my guitars were stolen there were three dogs in my den: my big BIG Newfoundland nine month old male pup, my three and a half year old lab pure bred female and my six month old mixed breed between the two breeds.

The state police said it had to be an inside job but we can't prove it. That is when I decided to get him out immediately, right or wrong. He was very abusive anyway, said he would be a great guy but lied. He had less than two dollars in Omaha and I sent him money to get here and put him up. He was in trouble and needed to get out of town quick. That was the beginning of a lot of problems. He now resides with my wife from whom I am separated and have not been on bad terms with. This jerk has a way of starting conflict so I expect to have lots of problems from her.

I have my share of problems while I try to recover from this kidney cancer surgery, eh?

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.