PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Gm110 V-tone Amp Review

piebaldpython
May 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I tried out my new Behringer GM110 V-Tone 30W amp last nite. I bought this ($100 thru audioallies.com) based primarily on the recommendation of DUFF. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GM110.aspx
The GM110 is a clone of the allegedly fabulous Tech 21 Trademark amps with their SANSAMP technology. I'd love to hear a Trademark amp because the V-Tone ROCKS.
What a SUPER sounding amp this is. Oh baby.
It's analog, has direct out, headphones, effects "send" and "return" portals. Master volume, drive, low, mid, high, 3 speaker simulations (flat, US 2 x 12, UK 4 X 12), 3 amp modes (clean, hi-gain and hot) and 3 models (tweed, Brit and California).
One you turn this amp on it is dead quiet and when you start to play, the sound is excellent coming out of the 10" Bugera speaker. No hiss, no rattles, just the notes you are playing.
It takes a bit to dial in tones as the various sounds are a function of volume, drive, amp model and amp mode. Once you do that, you are set. This is a very responsive amp to pick attack and such sundries. I was pleasantly surprised how well it sounded.
I played my Washburn HB-32 through it. I got all types of wonderful bluesy sounds going through all amp models (tweed, Brit and Calif). Chords were clear, solo notes were crisp; nothing muddied about the sound at all.
I'm going to mess around with it some more tonite and then try out a pedal tomorrow nite. These amps supposedly love pedals. I wouldn't be surprised.
For those of you who have these type amps (SANSAMP tech), I was enjoying the following sounds:
Tweed clean, Tweed hi-gain, Brit clean and Calif clean

As I play more, I'll report back with additional thoughts. All of the above is based on 90 minutes of playing last nite. I am NEW to the DARKSIDE and I must say, this is fun.
Oh yeah, my wife commented on the "different and nice sounds" coming out of the amp while I was noodling around. This this is plenty loud too.

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM
piebaldpython,

Been waiting for a while for you to check out the amp and must say I'm really glad you like it so much, since I recommended it to you quite highly.

I still have mine and it is hanging in there with no problem and is of great build quality. Supposedly the electronics construction is equally as well designed and built with quality components.

This thirty watt ss amp comes in handy when you want a quality sound and don't want to drag an expensive tube amp thru a lot of road exposure. It can Easily keep up with a Loud drummer as per my experience; just as well as my Fender Super Champ XD w the Ragin' Cajun speaker upgrade.

These amps are a really great value for 98 dollars and are probably still available from audioallies.com.

People looking for a Loud thirty watts with analog circuitry and great tone might want to consider this amp before jumping on an expensive thirty watt amp that is of similar specifications. The exterior build quality is excellent with chrome corner protectors and heavy duty wooden construction. It is not flimsy like some of the new ones I've seen, like the very flimsy Vypyr 15 open back - open is exactly correct: completely open with no visible bracing.

Behringer seems to make some specific items that are of high quality, this seemingly being one. Great reviews at harmonycentral.com as well, for whatever that's worth; from actual buyers and users.

I recently picked up a closed back very strongly built Marshall MG15CDR with a real mini reverb tank that sounds equally incredible, for about 135 new. This little Marshall is really nice. It is the earlier version of the MG's now hitting the stores but I'm sure a lot of the MG15CDR's are still new in the stores, NOS. I liked it better than the new similar version of the MG.

Thanks for the review and looking forward to further observations,

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.