PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: Tone/Volume Knobs

Viking Power
May 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Recently purchased an Epi G-400. Noticed that the knobs for tone and volume seem a little skewed. Kind of like they are on crooked...like a wheel with a wobble. Any thoughts as to why? Is it fixable? Is it just normal?

Thanks fellow fret-heads!:D

Kazz
May 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
remove them and see if you can get them on straight...if they were forced on then you may have to buy a new set of knobs....

If they are just on cockeyed..you can take a small screw driver and lift up on the low side until it is even with the high side then push down equally on all sides.

Viking Power
May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM
remove them and see if you can get them on straight...if they were forced on then you may have to buy a new set of knobs....

If they are just on cockeyed..you can take a small screw driver and lift up on the low side until it is even with the high side then push down equally on all sides.

Are they just pull-off/push-on like stove knobs? I'm not at home so can't look til later tonight.

duhvoodooman
May 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Are they just pull-off/push-on like stove knobs?
Yes, but they can vary between practically falling off and being on so tight you'd think they were welded. If the latter, put a thick piece of towel or fabric over the guitar body for protection and use something with a thin edge but good stiffness to pry around the knob gently. I find that a butter knife works quite well. Work your way around the knob to lift it up evenly. For really tight ones, this can take a bit of time and patience, but can be done in such a way as to preserve both your guitar finish and the knob itself.

Viking Power
May 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot when I get home this evening and will update with results.

TS808
May 27th, 2009, 05:48 PM
A good way to remove a tight knob (if they are so tight they take alot of effort) is to put a towel or something over the finish (as mentioned already) and get two teaspoons. Place them on opposite sides, wedge the spoons under the knobs, and slowly apply downward pressure on each spoon (use the curve of the spoon as a pivot) and that will lift the knob up evenly.

I actually saw this method on another forum, and it worked great with some tight knobs that I had without damaging the finish.

marnold
May 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I've found that wrapping a piece of twine around it and then pulling up does the trick with even the most stubborn ones.

Monkus
May 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
the clarity of help on this forum always amazsz me....:master: If I ever have that challenge, I'll know what to do !!!

markb
May 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I've found that wrapping a piece of twine around it and then pulling up does the trick with even the most stubborn ones.

+1 on the "piece o' string" technique. A bit of thin bell wire (figure 8) split in the middle but left joined at the ends to form a loop will do it too.

TS808
May 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
the clarity of help on this forum always amazsz me....:master: If I ever have that challenge, I'll know what to do !!!

If none of the above work, then good old fashioned dynamite does the trick every time :D