PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Used Cabinet Day

tunghaichuan
May 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Just got an empty, used Blackheart 1x12" cab in the Mail last night. I found it on The Gear Page for $50 shipped. The cabinet is like new, but minus the speaker.

It was also missing the screws holding the back baffle on, the screws holding the input jacks on the baffle, and the machine bolts which hold the speaker on the front baffle. Not a big deal, I went to Lowe's and picked up some stainless steel screws and some cap head bolts.

I put in a close out Carvin speaker that I got cheap ($20US).

It sounds kind of boxy and shrill, but could be the Carvin speaker which has never been used. It has been just sitting in my basement waiting for a cab. I'll hold off on judgement until the speaker has a chance to break in.

I do have a Mojotone 15W alnico speaker that I want to try out, but it has a voice coil rub and needs to be reconed.

tung

duhvoodooman
May 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Just got an empty, used Blackheart 1x12" cab in the Mail last night. I found it on The Gear Page for $50 shipped. The cabinet is like new, but minus the speaker.

It was also missing the screws holding the back baffle on, the screws holding the input jacks on the baffle, and the machine bolts which hold the speaker on the front baffle. Not a big deal, I went to Lowe's and picked up some stainless steel screws and some cap head bolts.

I put in a close out Carvin speaker that I got cheap ($20US).

It sounds kind of boxy and shrill, but could be the Carvin speaker which has never been used. It has been just sitting in my basement waiting for a cab. I'll hold off on judgement until the speaker has a chance to break in.

I do have a Mojotone 15W alnico speaker that I want to try out, but it has a voice coil rub and needs to be reconed.

tung
Good deal! From what I've read, that's quite a well-constructed cabinet.

tunghaichuan
May 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Good deal! From what I've read, that's quite a well-constructed cabinet.

It's all plywood, which is nice. Even the back and front baffles. There are no rattles to speak of either. I've been wanting one for a while now to go under my Little Giant head.

tung

luvmyshiner
May 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Sweet deal Tung! Keep us posted on how that speaker is sounding.

just strum
May 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Congrats. I'll loan you one of my air guitars, it should should great through the cab.:D

oldguy
May 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nice snag, Tung!:AOK:

Algonquin
May 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a good deal Tung. It's hard to go wrong at that price.

Good luck with the speaker trials!

Cheers :beer:

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 03:14 AM
stock, the blackhearts come with a pretty darn good eminence 12 inch speaker. Ive used Carvins in the past, pretty old ones, well used. They tend to sound great once they're set in and what not. Should start sounding epic soon.