PDA

View Full Version : V32 Palomino NOS, two by twelve Celestions.

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Or, "what happened to my Crate V50" I got new for 164 dollars out of the MF warehouse door with the coupon, etc.

As some of you may know my V50 Crate blew up, taking out the switching power supply (I'm tired of saying SPS). Will not get a SPS in a tube amp again, ok for ss though.

After +/- three months waiting for a pro tech to rebuild my V50, no sps replacements available, I called Crate and explained that the hyped up advertising regarding the sps as being so great and weight saving never materialized in the real world and that I had been considerably inconvenienced by being without my great sounding V50 amp. I suggested that I would Love to have a replacement amp sent to me in exchange for the V50 and he stated that he had a brand new V32 Palomino 2 by 12 with Celestion 70 / 80 speakers and rolling casters. I have always wanted one of these amps.

He shipped it directly to my house in a couple days and at 67 lbs it's heavy, but well worth the weight. What an amp. Had a torn speaker, six inch rip and he overnighted me a Celestion 70 / 80 and I put it in.

What an amp! I have a V8 that's nice, but this V32 is incredible.

I recently got a deal on a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal with a Weber speaker that is awesome. Both of these amps have that awesome "bloom" when you progressively increase picking force onto the strings - which pushes the amp into beautiful overdriven sound even on the clean settings, which is totally awesome to hear. These amps are incredible and the pick sensitivity is one factor that stands out very clearly with them and makes them special.

The V32 Palomino is really a great amp with conventional power supplies and, according to the pro tech that handled the warranty, the V32 is way better designed and built than the V50 new style. He said that the old style V50 Crates are also of superior build quality and overall design. I loved the sound of my blown up new style V50 though, it just didn't stand up to the advertizing and was not reliable with the catastrophic failure. The power supply has been suspected as the culprit for the greatest number of breakdowns but some capacitors have also been proven to be contributary to the breakdowns, according to the tech at Crate I spoke with.

Crate was very helpful with me and I am, naturally, very happy to have received the V32 Palomino 2/12 with the accompanying 750 dollar invoice; which I do not have to pay because the old amp is being shipped back. I was the recipient of a great amp for a good amp that proved to be unfixable.

I cannot say enough, obviously, about how great Crate treated me regarding the problem, attempt to fix it, and the resulting exchange for the awesome Palamino that I have always wanted buy thought was no longer available new.

You should hear this amp. When my son brings home my microphone I'll try to record some clips of it, it is that great sounding! The tone is very awesome with a great spectrum of sound and further tweakable with the included two button footswitch, boost, two channels, and presence button. I find the reverb to be great.

I like it better than the great sounding V50 and like having a quality two twelve combo, weighing in at 67 lbs. The wheels help. It takes pedals very well too.

So, if you have a new style V series Crate, excepting the V5, you probably have a switching power supply. I would watch the tubes and replace if you think they are not sounding right BEFORE you have a catastrophic power tube failure. You might even take it to a service center and have them look it over and perform any Crate authorized preventative capacitor replacements, power supply replacement that is supposed to be available in a new iteration very soon, and check for cold solder joints, etc. Just to be safe. I'm gunshy for sure and that's why I went for a replacement with a conventional power supply and was really surprised and delighted to have the guy offer me a NOS V32 Palomino: BUT, I had been inconvenienced for three months and the tech tried everything sensible to try to make the amp work. My long wait had a lot to do with getting the quality replacement. They had earlier asked me to give the tech another month to try to fix it. In the end Crate could have issued me a check for the 164 dollars I paid for the amp, but they were super great about it and exchanged amps for the 700+ dollar NOS Palomino. 700+ based upon the mfg. suggested retail, not actual MF type price.

I thought you all would want to know what happened during and after my long wait on the great V50. I won't miss it because my confidence in the sps is very low.

There are reasons why we got those Crate V series amps at such deeply discounted prices. The V5 has a conventional power supply.

I hope my feedback and description of the great treatment I received from Crate is helpful to someone.

Peace,

Duffy

Proud owner of a NOS V32 212 Palomino, cream tolex with gold trim.

duhvoodooman
May 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Sounds like the hassles were ultimately worthwhile! Looking forward to a sound clip....

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Vood,

The Palomino is incredible an BIG, imposing in my den / bedroom area, but well used. You can turn it down low and it sounds great. But the JSX Peavey Mini Colossal sounds about as good, believe it or not and has an attenuator for 4 in the morning type things, you know what I mean?

Got to get my mic back from my son. Maybe I'll play my Hartley Peavey signature import, "HP Signature BXP" tiger eye w gold trim strat type-ish body guitar thru it. Awesome guitar I got for 199 on this place closing out it's Peavey dealership, brand new too! It's expensive on places like MF.

Then again, my Squire Telecaster Custom II with duncan designed P90's sounds exceptional thru this amp. I'll probably use it.

Enjoying the V32,

Duff

bigG
May 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Duff, I had that Peavey HP Signature EXP. Man, what a great guitar, even at regular MF (street) price! (It's as good as any PRS USA, and about 1/4 the price! Who needs a steenkin' PRS...not me! The Peavey's the way to go!)

It's on my list to get another ASAP, as I traded it and an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige for my Peavey HP Special USA Custom Shop.

I was just in the Peavey dealer yesterday, checking out the Ibanez Jet King JTK30H, and he had a used Peavey HP Signature EXP for $399! Same exact guitar that I traded (transparent black) and in perfect condition. I left without either one, cause my brain was farting as to which one to buy, both being $399...I might go back and buy both! Trying to juggle some finances in my head...

Congrats and a good story abt the Crate(s)! Great deal! :bravo:

Duff
May 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
bigG,

Yes bigG, that Tiger Eye HP Signature BXP has got to be my best all around guitar, or close to it. It's passive and the Peavey wound humbuckers sound awesome and this is the import version. The USA version must be even nicer. Since Spud turned me on to the Peavey Generation EX guitars I have always been alert to check out Peavey guitars when I see them. The HP Signature BXP played, felt, sounded and looked incredible; especially at the 199 price brand new. I also picked up a Peavey Zodiac BNX P J bass for 199 and a JSX Mini Colossal for 175, all brand new. A Mini Colossal for 175 - can you believe that, new? Awesome amp w power sponge, etc.

Duffy

bigG
May 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Hey Duff,

Wanna give me lessons on finding that great gear for so cheap!!?? And brand new! Local dealers here match online pricing, which is great, but you're finding even better deals!!

I bow to your abilities, sir :master:

Duff
May 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM
bigG,

If you get a piece of equipment and something is significantly wrong with it tyy to get a new one and at the same time mention that you are gunshy of the particlar item and see if they have any substitutes on hand that they might be able to better satisfy you with.

I was dealing with the Crate warranty departent, not MF. They had several amps on hand in the warehouse that were way better than what I had been trying to get fixed. I was told by a Crate guy to set my sights high on the replacement request so I asked if they had any V32 Palomino two by twelve Celestion speaker combos available. Turns out they had one at te warehouse. He located it and shipped it to me without any delay and wished me the best of luck and hoped I would be happy; along with an invoice for 700+ dollars in case the repair shop doesn't send the V50 I got for 164 out the door back, which is documented that I provided them with the RMA, etc.

The V32 212 is incredible and an amp I've always wanted. It is a high quality amp and chick magnet; for those chicks that have any knowledge of equip.

Went to a club with three bands tonight and most of the chicks had no idea what equipment was being used, some of which was very high quality I dont drink booze and had a few friends there so no one f**&*& with me. I got to sit in on drums for quite a while. One of the bands was indie and the lead had a tele Am deluxe he favored and an Epi very nice LP Std. The bassist had a cool sounding sunburst Epi Thunderbird four string with some great tone. Incidentally, I'm getting back my Epi Thunderbird four string Goth that I gave my son and I'm excited. Already have the Epi set neck mahogany Les Paul bass back and it sounds great. Humbuckers, passive.

I did some work on a guys MIM tele and asked for the bridge pup I replaced with a GFS hot rails: a Fender Custom Shop hot Texas Special tele bridge pup. He said he couldn't give it to me even though I did the work free, but he would sell it to me for 35 dollars: I paid him within a couple hours, installed it the same night and WOW what a nice tele bridge pup. He knows how much I appreciate it and will do future work for him for free. I have a neck Texas Special that I'm getting from an old timer, guitar fixer upper, for 40 dollars, when I go to Scranton to pick up anouther SD bass STK-J2 bridge hot stack humbucking J bass pickup to match the one I put in the neck last night. Great tone to the SD bass pickup when compared to many of the ones I compared it to. I hope I don't have to resort to SD quarter pounders which are noise cancelling when both are turned up equally.

I will let you know when I find something extremely interesting to me but that I don't want if you would like me to.

They have a Peavey greenish tele Omniac that is marked down less than half price, like 4 or 6 hundred out the door and it plays awesome to my ear; also a Peavey Grind bass, brand new, neck thru body, humbuckers, very deep hb tone. Also another bass a standard type high end Cirrus or something Peavey bass for about 399, brand new, maybe P J, blue I think. So if you are serious I'll give you their phone number. A smallish, large showroom, family owned place selling a lot of high end pianos in this area. All outstanding values for the right person or the person that has the money. I'd love the Omniac tele but don't have the theoretical money; plus I have other ideas, like a nice MIM Roadhouse strat or Lonestar, or one of the nice MIM teles.

Those Peavey Generation EX tele's that Spud turned me on to are awesome guitars and can be found at uncleikes.com for good prices plus other places.

Get back to me if you are really interested or just jiving.

Duffy

PS

Thought I was playing my JSX Mini Colossal but actually was playing my Crate Flexwave 15R that I just put the brand new Celestion 12 inch 8 ohm 70 /80 in; it's louder than the 4 ohm stock speaker was not to mention all the other aspects of betterness of sound.

Duff

I was surprised.

RMITO
November 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
"The power supply has been suspected as the culprit for the greatest number of breakdowns but some capacitors have also been proven to be contributary to the breakdowns, according to the tech at Crate I spoke with."

---------------

The issue with the Crate's appears to be related more to basic circuit protection. I am in the process of re-tooling a V50 I have by using my Fender Pro Series as an object lesson for modifications. With this in mind this is what I have done so far ---
The Amplifier circuit has 5 watt 470 Ohm resistors --- I bumped these up to 10 Watts! Several forums have posts about the resistors failing --- While I was at it I added a 100ma fuse to J7-7 screen grid supply --- this protects the power supply in the event the power tubes go bad. In addition, I added a 750ma fuse to J2 (Center Tap of the output transformer) that should also protect the power supply and output transformer. Lastly, on the power supply side of things R103 gets really hot so I increased this from 1watt to 3 watts --- Also increased the Wattage for R104 and R102 to 3 watts. Finally I added a 250 Ohm 25 watt across my speaker jack so that if I lose a speaker I will not kill the output transformer and circuit.

Overkill?!?! Perhaps, but I am using my Crate as the foundation for an amp I can abuse and then revive as needed.

The overall design of the amp IMHO given my limited and remedial knowledge of tube amps appears fine --- several other amp makers use similar circuits. It just that the way the power sections are designed they need a bit of help --- otherwise if something goes South --- the amp will self-destruct!

This amp is a project for me and I am in the process of installing a tone modification kit from triodeamplification.com If your interested, I will post how things turn out.

Cheers,

R