PDA

View Full Version : Learn to play

overthehill
August 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
So you just got your first guitar,well go download some tabs and start playing, by this time next week you'll be as good as EVH or Clapton, right?
WRONG!!! the guitar may look like a simple instrument but it"s one the most complicated instruments in the world.
Here are a few tips to get you started.:The Four P's Practice, Pain,Patience and Pride
First let's take a look at practice,your gonna have to practice no one is born knowing how to play some people are more naturally inclined than others but it still takes practice to develop your skills whether natural or learned, practice,practice,practice and more practice! Pain is part of the game, your fingers are gonna hurt when you first start out it doesn't matter how low your setup is your fingers are gonna hurt until they get used to fretting the strings it usually takes about 4 weeks.Don't get overly enthusiastic and play until your fingers bleed,this only complicates things.When your fingers start to hurt or you become frustrated take a break and let things settle down,remember this is gonna take some time your not gonna solo like Clapton,Hendrix or Page by this time tomorrow or next week or next month it takes time,practice and patience.
Now let's talk about pride.You just got your brand new $99 Squier Bullet and you can't wait to show it off,so off you go to your best friends house with your brand new axe and the first thing he says "I had one of those when I was a kid too" [he's 3 months older than you but has been learning for about a year now] In walks Johnny Whizzbang from across town and proudly announces that he just ordered a custom made GibsonFenderSchecterPRS special.It was hand made by special robots on Mars and will be sent to a private shop on the sun to heat treat the titanium wound atomic core strings.It cost 3 million dollars plus another 1 mil for special setup.You look down at your once shiny new bullet and start to feel dissappointed.WRONG!! again look down at your new shiny blue bullet and feel confident that at this time next year you will be here again playing the solos from Freebird and Stairway To Heaven while Johnny Whizzbang watches in awe still waiting for his "special" to escape the sun's orbit.
I wrote this because I have been trying to help someone get started and I see some of the same problems I had when I started and quit and started again.I hope you can get a good laugh at the part about pride.

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I just remember wanting to be Jimmy Page. I was given an acoustic guitar by my uncle as my first guitar ever and after he showed me how to tune it off I went. I remember not even knowing how to fret chords so I'd opt for simple 2 note chords or 1 string solos. I did have a good ear though and could pick up songs real easy...the rest came as I went along. My friends really helped me want to learn more though. We were all heavy rockers so it was a good idea I learned how to play so I would be "cool". I just remember having a deep desire to rock out and that drive helped me a lot. I'm trying to teach my oldest daughter this and it's so different with her. She wants to do it but she doesn't show initiative to really get into trying things she's learned or how to explore ways to do things and make noise so she gets easily frustrated. She's got the ear cause she sings really well though. We all know how easy it is for us to do things but when it comes to others sometimes its just...differrent?

ibanez_freak36
August 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Well, I read today about the learning to play thing. I will say that we all have been there as stated by overthehill. I will speak for alot of us too, when you think that playing this instrument is easy, just ask some of the greats that have lead the way, Clapton, Page Angus or if he was still with us Jimmy. I cannot list all of the people who have influenced me or made me want to play because they are icons and idols of mine. You should play not to impress anyone but yourself, and it is understood that determination is a HUGE part of it. When I started all I wanted to do was be able to make sounds so I could tell what I was playing. Then Johnny Whizzmaster from across the way would say " hey can you play any Zepplin". Yeah what a joke 3 weeks of lessons and bruised fingers and an Amp that just didn't cut it anyway, of course I couldn't. I would sit in my room and practice for hours and hours just to make a song sound close, and when it came to playing them for friends or family I wouldn't do it. The reason was simple I was not good enough for me, then one day about 6 months later I was playing along with a set of headphones to Claptons classic Cocaine, to my surprise my Dad ( who was listening outside my bedroom door with my Mom) said to me "could you play that again that was great, its my favorite Clapton song". I will tell you you cannot imagine my shock, after months of "turn that stuff down" and "its too loud" my parents actually enjoyed my playing. I never felt more pleased but at teh same time wondered if I was good enough to impress my parents enough to listen what else could I learn and have others enjoy it too. To say the least I have done alot since then including 4 recordings later and mulitiple gigs I still love it but am never satisfied. Playing guitar is difficult and no one does it for me but me, and that is my calling card. I am done going on for now but remember this: If you love to do something like this take it as an opportunity not a burden, the rest is history and your self fulfillment will be reward enough. Lastly being good is never enough you should strive to be great, and being great can encompass many things.......the freak

overthehill
August 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Good post Ibanez you added the points that I missed.

Tone2TheBone
August 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Am I missing something? Isn't music meant for the enjoyment of everyone...especially listeners? Sure we play cause we like to do it and we like how it sounds but ultimately music wouldn't be much if it only pleased us. Music should be shared. I guess I don't understand the meaning of both of your posts.

Cranium
August 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know what you guys are ever talking about! Just give up guitar because you never gonna be as good as me and be able to play 2000 notes a second and kill people with super guitar skills. :D

Just kidding, great post and its not always important what gear you have, no one cares if you have a $5000 guitar if you can't play anything, just because someone plays better then you doesn't mean you should quit guitar (unless its someone good like me :o) that would be too easy and its always good to compliment people on their playing, it makes them feel good and helps them to want to keep playing.

By the way overthehill, make sure the person your teaching understands chords/proggressions and how to build them and all the basics completely, it helps! Thats why I have a problem now, I was a bad student, I wanted to play solos right away without even knowing what chords I was sepose to play to, its always good to improvise, then you will know what notes fit best to certain chords and such, good luck and rock on. :DR

Spudman
August 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Tone makes a good point too. I stated playing for the ladies and that kept me motivated enough to do it for a living. Sure I wanted to please myself in some ways but mostly I wanted to please those wimmen! And yes I did and also learned to play guitar along the way. ;)

Different approach...same results. It's Rock-n-Roll boys.

SuperSwede
August 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Very true spud! It aint no rocket science, its only balls to the wall rock(et) & roll :)

f1point7
August 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
i practice when i'm on the throne.
there is no pain once you get used to it.
and pride is simply a state of mind.

no wonder i'm still shite ;)