PDA

View Full Version : question reguarding removal of paint...

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
are there any faster ways to remove paint from the whole guitar body? besides sanding?

marnold
May 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Heat or chemicals. The former is safer. The chemicals required to get a poly finish off are nasty. The Reranch forums would be able to answer any question you might ever have on the subject of refinishing.

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
thanks man, im gonna look around the old man's shed for some stripper or a heat gun i think he still has. i was wondering if it was sensible to use stripper or not? i believe i have some somewhere from when i re-did my room last time.

Rocket
May 28th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Heat gun is a terrible idea.
Tonewoods require moisture & hitting it with an extreme dry heat source (like a heat gun) while removing it's protective outer skin will sap every bit of moisture left in the wood. Warping & cracking are sure to follow.
May as well toss it in the fireplace or campfire.

(But do it anyway as I'm interested in the outcome.)

marnold
May 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Well, if that's been your experience Rocket, I will defer to it. All I know is that that seems to be the preferred method of stripping a guitar of a poly finish on Reranch and other well-known forums. You do need to exercise caution so that you don't burn the body because then suddenly you are back to sanding.

The easiest solution would probably be just to sand the shine off the original finish and then paint over it. The sanding will enable the new paint to bond to the body. Just be careful sanding around corners. It's very easy to sand down to the bare wood and then you are fixing problems again.

No matter what method you use, be careful if there is any binding on the guitar. Sanding can damage it, heat will warp it, and chemicals will melt it.

sumitomo
May 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Forget all that taking apart,masking,ect.Use Axewrap.Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
well, i got all the paint off, with a mixture of hard labour hand sanding, electric sander and mild paint stripper.

now im interested in how much of different chemicals i should use...i mean, primer, satin paint and clearcoat?

so far ive got the always messy first coat of primer on, which has shown me where the problem areas on the wood are that will need to be attended to tomorrow morning. Now how many more coats of primer should i use before i start painting and clearcoating?

marnold
May 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Once again, hit the Reranch forums and their associated FAQs. They've got all the information you'd ever care to know.

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
thankyou mr reverend sir =]

your the most helpful reverend ive ever come across..most just ridicule me because of my black clothes and metal moosik...=[

ibanezjunkie
May 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
ahh i had an idea tell me what you think...

i want to put a very unique look on this guitar. Unfortunately it is a set-neck so i have to spray the body and neck as a whole, and mak over the fretboard..which makes it awkward...but my idea is...to scratch into the primer with sandpaper...and then put on more coats..scratching them a little as i go, then put on 2 clean coats of primer then paint and clearcoat. the desired effect is sort of dumpy/liny texture. i think this would work...tell me if you think otherwise...ill be taking pics from here on out and make a post about it later.

oldguy
May 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...........................:rotflmao:

mrmudcat
May 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have never used anything but hand sanding/sandpaper (no machine) and elbow grease personally.I have done some great guitars if I do say so myself!:rockon:

ibanezjunkie
May 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
ah-haaa

here it is, in all its half-done, deliberately scruffy glory: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=135715#post135715