PDA

View Full Version : Keepin it fresh

sumitomo
May 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am like alot of people I should practice rhythm more,but it gets boring and I end up noodling with licks.Maybe you good fretters can throw some positive ideas at this problemo.Sumi:D:dude: :confused:

Spudman
May 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Do both. SRV, Philip Sayce, Richie Kotzen and a host of others are good at this. Comp the rhythm chords and when you are changing chords once in a while throw in a short lead type phrase. A lot of trios do this to sound like more than just 3 players. That will give you the best of both worlds.

Otherwise become a slave to the groove. The more you do it the more you'll love it. It helps to not think about anything while you are doing it. Just groove out.

Jimi75
June 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
If practice get boring, you should start with smaller amounts of time that you invest.

Diminish practice time to 15 minutes per day. If you noodle afterwards, go write licks and riffs that contain some part of the practiced material.

Bear in mind that practice starts making fun when you feel the results. Until results appear, it's a tough time that can be boring, but come on, we are men, rock guitar players, so stop whining and start practicing!

mjk123
September 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM
If practice get boring, you should start with smaller amounts of time that you invest.

Diminish practice time to 15 minutes per day. If you noodle afterwards, go write licks and riffs that contain some part of the practiced material.

Bear in mind that practice starts making fun when you feel the results. Until results appear, it's a tough time that can be boring, but come on, we are men, rock guitar players, so stop whining and start practicing!

Jimi75 - I like this approach. Especially, since I have very limited time to actually practice.

sumitomo
September 25th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Glad you brought this back up,since then I had been playing with different setups and have found a sound(tone) that I really like for rhythm and lead also,this helps me alot as I relax more and feel what I play,I enjoy what I hear.Believe it or not it comes from a guitar I really never warmed up to the Parker p-36 into my Rabid Rodent into the Blues Jr with an upgraded Output Trans,the OT change really warmed that amph up,also the piezo pups blended with the others sound great through this amph.Sumi:D

msteeln
September 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Do both. SRV, Philip Sayce, Richie Kotzen and a host of others are good at this.Pete Townsend and Jimi were pretty good at it too! Playing both is where the fun is at. I'd also suggest Alvin Lee, but only because that's what I'm all about right now...

kiteman
October 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I'm like you Sum, I work with the chords and rhythms so I'll know where I'll get my leads from but always break 'em up with lead work when I'm supposed to do the strum work. :)